Antibiotics for 3 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-10-2003, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 3 month old is on amoxicillin for an ear infection. Does anyone know of anything I should be eating/drinking to counteract the negative side effects of the antibiotic on ds' intestinal tract? I was thinking yogurt but I'm not sure if by the time it gets to him in the form of breastmilk it is still useful.
#2 of 4 Old 06-10-2003, 11:30 PM

Hi!

You can safely give him probiotics to help restore normal gut flora. Whole Foods will have Country Life's Baby Maxidophilus (I think that's the right name, it might be Maxi Babydophilus), which comes in a powder form. You can give him 1/2 to 1 tsp a day in some liquid in a bottle if he takes one, or just put some on your finger and swab it in his mouth.

You need to keep an eye out for yeast/thrush, as you probably know.

Here are some helpful links/info:

http://216.92.20.151/10-0-0/html/10-4-0/10-4-0.shtml (Mothering articles on ear infections)

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T080400.asp (Dr. Sears on probiotics)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

HTH!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 4 Old 06-12-2003, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Jane. I wonder if we have a problem or not with yeast. I've got a weird sort of rash on my breast - not the nipple though. It's red and itchy. I think I'll make an appointment at the Maternity Center and have them check it out. Only two more days of the pink stuff - yay!
#4 of 4 Old 06-12-2003, 01:40 AM

I will keep my fingers crossed that it's not yeast - yeast sucks! LMK if it is and I will send you the links for the yeast treatment protocols.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page