How much solid food for 7-8 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-19-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone provide a link or info that shows how much solid food a primarily-breastfed 7-8 month old (or around that age) baby should have each day? I feel like my son is getting enough solids each day, but I suspect others think he should have more. Maybe he does need more..... but maybe there is a link that shows Mama's milk is still all he needs, and solid foods are just for nibbling and tasting at this age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 PM

I don't know of any such link- but I just ignored people who were not as up-to-date and educated on the subject as I was

-Angela
#3 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I don't know of any such link- but I just ignored people who were not as up-to-date and educated on the subject as I was

-Angela
Ok, so how much does a 7-8 month old actually need in terms of solids according to your education on the subject?

I don't mean that in a snarky way, just curious since you didn't really answer the question of how much that age baby truly needs.

I personally suspect the answer would be they don't NEED any particular amount at all, it varies from baby to baby. Whatever they can self feed *after* nursing is what they need, as they can self regulate what they eat that way. I'm just guessing though, hence my question above.
#4 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 AM

Well, it's going to depend of course. I don't really believe in any absolutes when it comes to kids (they "should" sleep this much, they "should" eat that much)

For my dd at that age it was none. We offered. She refused. She kept growing...

I would go so far as to say that *most* babies don't NEED any solids until around a year.

-Angela
#5 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4heart View Post
Can anyone provide a link or info that shows how much solid food a primarily-breastfed 7-8 month old (or around that age) baby should have each day? I feel like my son is getting enough solids each day, but I suspect others think he should have more. Maybe he does need more..... but maybe there is a link that shows Mama's milk is still all he needs, and solid foods are just for nibbling and tasting at this age.

Each DAY??
Mine plays with food 2-3 times a week, usually fruit. It's strictly play.

Have you dug around on kellymom or askdrsears? It's late and I sense that ds is about to want me back in bed, but tell those unspecified others that both the WHO and the AAP recommend that an infant's primary nutrition source be, ideally, mama's milk until at the very least 12 months.

Ack, sorry I don't have any links for you. My 8-mo needs my boob now.
#6 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 07:54 AM

I don't have a link, but I think we know as moms what is right or not, and each child is different.... no mold. my ds , 7.5 mo, loves solids. He eats (very roughly) 2T breakfast, 1T lunch and with us at dinner, maybe about 2T.
All in all, it is not very much, but he sure does love it. I follow his ques. He just recently learned to drink from a straw and would do that all day if I let him! Very funny. Only water, but it is funny, he laughs at himself.
Oh and he is 30" and 20 lbs.;Growing fine. He still loves his milk from the tap.
#7 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM

My 7.5 month old loves to eat as well. He drinks water from a cup also. (and he's a big boy, at 23 lbs and 29 inches)

He eats with us about 3 times a day--usually 1/2 a piece of fruit for breakfast, with a few spoonfulls of mama's yogurt or oatmeal. Lunch will be a few tablespoons of whatever I'm eating. An afternoon snack--he might eat1/2 plum or 3 crackers or whatever. Supper--a few tablespoons of whatever we're eating.

He still nurses all the time, many times at night as well. I have a good friend that is very reassuring, telling me all the time that babies are smarter than we are, self regulating themselves in an amazing way. And that's what I choose to believe.
#8 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflcpw View Post
I don't have a link, but I think we know as moms what is right or not, and each child is different.... no mold. my ds , 7.5 mo, loves solids. He eats (very roughly) 2T breakfast, 1T lunch and with us at dinner, maybe about 2T.
All in all, it is not very much, but he sure does love it.
And there's an example of variation- you say that's not much, but dd was 18 months before she regularly ate that much in a day.

-Angela
#9 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 01:16 PM

I don't have time to look for the links but I remember that, between what my ped (who I kind of pay attention to) and LLL and Kellymom say, your child should be receiving 75% - 100% of their nutrition from breastmilk at one year of age. Whether your child eats or doesn't is their own thing. Just offer them appropriate food (i.e. soft chunks) once or twice a day. They will play, or eat, or both. Some days they may do one, another day they may do the other. Don't measure, don't stress. You don't need to.
Your child should have a pincer grasp, sit unassisted, have no tongue thrust for her to really eat, anyway.
#10 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 01:39 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...html#frequency

My DD, 8 months old today, has never had any solids. I've never even offered. I'm considering offering avacado chunks soonish.... She is happy, healthy, and growing.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#11 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 01:52 PM

It depends so much - formula feeders probably offer solids more because the formula is so expensive and bottles are pain, you know?

My primarily BF baby is 7 months old an we have offered her solids about every 2-3 days or so. She's not terribly interested, but her tongue thrust reflex is gone. She's sitting and meets all those other milestones.

I'd prefer her to remain somewhere around 90% BF for her first year, so we're taking it very slowly.

Babies do just fine with BM only for a lot longer than "people"(ILs, friends, etc.) seem to think.
#12 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 03:20 PM

at that age mine had none.
#13 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
With #1 we didn't even try solids until after a year. With #2 we started tasting solids around 8 months, just a taste of what was on my plate basically. She gets OT/feeding therapy for learning to take liquids (oral motor issues) and the OT told me at 10 months she should get eating 1.5 CUPS of food a day I think she gets 1T on a good day and I'm not at all worried about her solids intake. (I'm more worried about her liquid intake)

Seriously?
#14 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 04:36 PM

At 9 months ds eats a serving of fruits or vegetables and a yo baby yogurt. I think it's a pretty modest amount, but he's dependent on getting it every day and will be hungry if I don't. At 1 year I believe my dd took in a couple servings of fruits and veggies and shared whatever we had for dinner, as well as little snacks of cheerios, animal crackers etc. Fussiness has been the indicator of need for increased solids for us. I don't feed more because I'm lazy to be honest. When they want solids to the extent of driving me crazy at meal times, then I let them have them.
#15 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 05:13 PM

Not only does it depend on the child, it can depend on the day and how interesting the doggy is at feeding time.

My DD is 9.5 months now, but at 7-8 months, she was eating anywhere from no solids a day (offered, but more fun to play with), a few bites, to two full (a protein, a veggie, a fruit, roughly) meals plus snacks.

She's still like that, except some days it's 3 meals plus snacks. She's had nothing but a couple of bites of watermelon and banana today (Other than milk, I mean)
#16 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 05:20 PM

Just a note, from our own experience:

We waited until after 7 months to introduce solids, and increased the amount based upon what the baby wanted to eat as the months went by. We were still BFing on demand and she was at one year still receiving easily 70%+ nutrition from breastmilk.

We hadn't worried about iron-fortified foods because assumed since she was still getting so much BM she was fine and healthy. Imagine our shock when we found out at the one year ped appt that she was anemic!

Turns out that ANY solids decreased the baby's ability to fully absorb iron from breastmilk, so while many iron-fortified cereals lack the nutrition as breastmilk, please know that some babies still do need the additional iron, if they are getting any solids.

I'm only sharing this because we were totally taken off guard by our child developing anemia. And since most of the information on this board implies any solid food prior to one year is for experimentation purposes only -- and that's not necessarily true. Anything that replaces breastmilk should have as much nutritional value as possible, including iron. And iron isn't easily absorbed without vitamin C, so you have to make sure there's plenty of that in the baby's solid foods too.

I'm not trying to scare you, nor imply that you have to run out and get "fortified" foods, especially if your baby is eating healthy foods that have natural vitamins and minerals. But we focused primarily on fruits and yogurt for our babe, with some vegetable, and turned out we were doing her a disservice by treating the solids as "for fun" only. Anything that isn't breastmilk can potentially detract from the nutrition of breastmilk. I wish very much that we'd either waited until after one year to start solids at all (though the baby really was grabbing at food when we did start), or that we'd been more conscientious about the nutrional value of the solids she did get.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#17 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Ds is 8 months and rarely eats solids. I'd say every few days he might have less than a Tbsp.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#18 of 23 Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
At 9 months ds eats a serving of fruits or vegetables and a yo baby yogurt.
My dd is 2.5 and sometimes STILL doesn't eat that much in a day. She's finished a whole yogurt ONCE. Most times will eat at MOST half.

-Angela
#19 of 23 Old 04-21-2007, 01:25 AM

My son is 1 and just within the last few days starting to pick up teething biscuits and such and chew on them. He still gets more on him than in him, so is still all but exclusively breastfed. He is doing fine and I don't feel a need to push solids on him until he is ready on his own to eat more. I don't have any concrete links for you, but I do know that during at least the first year, solids are only meant as play, not as nutrition. I'm not going to worry unless he stops growing and thriving as well as he clearly is.
#20 of 23 Old 04-21-2007, 03:00 AM

If people ask say that you are feeding him as much as he wants.

I think a few nibbles each day is plenty for that age group.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#21 of 23 Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 AM

He doesn't NEED any food, but if he wants food, great! HE'll tell you when he's had enough. My 8 month old shakes his head "no" when he's done. He gets both finger foods and some purees. He eats at least a cup's worth of food each day...2 meals and some snacks. He is very distracted by his older brothers though, so he'd rather eat food than stare at me to nurse. He loves eating what we're all eating, but it is quite obvious when he's had enough.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#22 of 23 Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 AM

I agree that at that age there is no minimum amount if you are bf. My dd is 7.5 months and crawling but is still not interested in food in any meaningful way.

She wants to have something in her hand when we eat at the table and she has real food envy but doesn't actually eat anything!

If you are concerned about nutrition can I invite you to think about how many calories/fat/iron/other nutrients there are in pureed carrot or breadsticks or fruit vs breastmilk?

There is no way that any solid food in small amounts is superior in a nutritional sense to the milk that you are giving your child so don't worry.
#23 of 23 Old 04-22-2007, 01:28 AM

Not too much...my dd didn't eat a significant amount of solid food until a few months after her first birthday.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page