Mothering Forum banner

naptime help for a 6 mo old anyone?

895 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mamaduck 
#1 ·
hey there everyone,

I'm hoping that some more experienced mamas out there might be able to give a few suggestions here. . .

My dd is sleepy all day and only naps for 20-30 mins at a time. I lay down with her and nurse her to sleep or else I am still wearing her in the sling while she sleeps (which is getting to be soooo heavy now!)

I lay down with her as soon as she shows signs of being tired, or every hour or so and nurse her. She will nurse, then push up, rock, lay her head down, nurse again, rub eyes, whine, nurse, push up, etc - this goes on for for 30 mins or more, then maybe finally she'll go to sleep. I know she's tired because she gets so fussy and yawns so much. But after those 20 min naps she's up and smiling (for 10 mins only before fussing and rubbing eyes again). Poor thing!

Any ideas please?

Thanks alot,
äiti

See less See more
#2 ·
my dd is six months and is the EXACT same way! I am so frustrated and she is so tired I feel like a horrible mommy.

Right now it is her bed time and she is sleeping in her sling-it is the ONLY way I can get her to sleep at all. I co-sleep with her, but even lying down with her at her bedtime doesn't work-I put her in the sling and she is asleep instantly.

Ok-I am not helping you at all! Sorry-just know that you are not alone!

#3 ·
Both my babies did this. I figured out a way to improve the situation with my older son, but obviously it wasn't a fool-proof solution because I never figured out how to get my 2nd baby to sleep longer than 30 min. naptime stretches.

But for whatever it is worth -- I learned to keep my older son awake for long stretches -- from morning until about 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I did everything I could think of to keep him distracted and entertained, even when he seemed sleepy. We took walks, played together, listened to music really loud -- etc. Then when I finally nursed/rocked him in the afternoon-- he went to sleep and stayed down for 3 hours. The really intense work of keeping him awake all morning lasted about a week or 2, and then after that he adjusted to the routine and got used to taking on long nap later in the day.

But, as I said -- my little guy would *still* need me to nurse him every 30 minutes *even* when I tried this. Good luck.

#7 ·
Thanks mamaduck!
Today I thought I'd try out your idea, but with the exception of sticking with her usual a.m. nap from 8:30-9:00.
Well, she didn't go to sleep by 9am, and I had to go out, so I just got her up and got ready and left with her in the sling with me.
She stayed awake till about 11, then slept in the sling, but only for about 30 minutes.
Then, we got home and I kept her up as she was in a happy mood and her father was visiting us on his lunch hour.
At 1:30 I lied down and nursed her, and she slept from 2pm-5pm! Hooray, I am thrilled! I didn't know what to do with myself for so much time. I just kept looking at her sleeping - what a lovely sight!

And now she still went down for the night too!

So I'm going to keep on trying it for awhile and see what happens.
Right on!

äiti

#8 ·
Cool!

You know -- I realize AP is about responding and being flexible, and I do parent that way. But I figured out with my older child that some babies NEED predictability and routine in their day. Not all of them -- my oldest son has always demonstrated a need for regular, well-spaced, intenentional sleep times. His routine and schedule was just really important to him (and of course, to me.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.