Please help-how do I break the sleeping in the sling habit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2003, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 6 months old..we co-sleep.
Lately, it is impossible to get her to sleep without putting her in the sling and walking around-I KNOW she is tired. We do her bedtime routine about teh same time every night. I nurse her and rock her-she knows it is time for bed and gets more and more upset (I never have let her CIO at all).

After many nights of spending hrs trying to get her to sleep, I decided just to put her in the sling and she falls asleep instantly.

If I take the sling off and put her on the bed she wakes up the minute I leave.

I am tired and frustrated and so is she. She wakes every 2 hrs at night to eat and goes right back to sleep. She wakes up at 6:30 to 7AM and won't go back to sleep even though she is tired-rubbing eyes, yawning.

I really want to do what she needs, but I am afraid I am not doing the right thing.

Can anyone help me? I have read No Cry Sleep solution, Dr. Sears night time parenting, etc...

When DH tries to put her to bed she cries and cries.

I guess am just looking for some advice/support that it is ok to wear her in the sling every evening and every nap-I feel ridiculous though-like I have no control!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 10:58 PM

there are a few tricks to get them to stay asleep in the sling before and after you put them down.

* do the "limp arm" test: pick her arm up when she looks deeply asleep and if it flops back down with no resistance, you can try to lay her down.
* make a nest out of the comforter / blanket so that her legs and feet are up and supported. It also helps if the "nest" hugs their little arms close to their bodies as the sling naturally does. Usually when my dd's legs and feet would straighten, she'd wake right up.
* put her in her (bucket) carseat if you use one. At least till you go to bed. This worked a couple of times for us when we were desperate.

It is not ridiculous to wear your baby to sleep. At this age they want to be close, they like movement, they like nursing and the sling provides it all while giving mama's arms a break. Slings are a miraculous invention! Use yours as much as possible, b/c soon she won't want to go to sleep that way any more (or she'll be a big heavy toddler) and you'll be scratching your head for what to do to get her to go to sleep then!

Warmly,
Michelle - mom to ds (5) and dd (11 months)
Old 06-11-2003, 11:38 PM

What time do you put her down, and what time does she get up for the day? Maybe you are putting her down too late? You might try 15-30 minutes earlier, just to see if you can 'catch' her and get her down to sleep before she starts to get wound up. This happens when ds is overtired - he winds up when it's time for bed. But if I can get him to go to bed a little earlier, sometimes he just konks right out.

No, the sling is not a bad thing every night - it's no different than any other thing you might do (carry, rock, nurse, bath, reading books). You're parenting her to sleep - doesn't matter how you do it as long as you're ok with it! As she gets older it will get easier to introduce other ways to get her to sleep, and soon you'll have two ways (sling, or daddy carries her and sings, or whatever), then three, and pretty soon she'll be much more accommodating in this area. Just takes a little time. At least that's been my experience.

Good luck!

Carolyn
Old 06-12-2003, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far...
I generally start her bed time routine around 7:30...maybe it is too late. She doesn't fall asleep for good until about 9 or 10!

I do the limp arm test-it doesn't work for her-she is SUCH a light sleeper.

FOr the past week she has been waking every 1 1/2 hrs to eat-then right back to sleep-it is worse than when she was first born-I sure hope this phase goes away soon!
Old 06-12-2003, 12:49 PM

My baby's sleep "personality" sounds similar to yours. I usually wear DS all day--while Dr. Sears prescribes at least a few hours of babywearing a day, I'm averaging many more than that! But there are many things that are difficult or impossible while wearing a baby (shower, clean, pick things up off the floor, carry hot things), so I've also been experimenting with ways to put the baby down for naps.

For nighttime sleeping, we do sidelying feedings, and the baby usually falls asleep.

For daytime naps, we use a baby hammock (Amby Nature's Nest, www.babyhammocks.com I think is the link) which we had shipped from australia. the hammock is the only place i can put him down without waking him up. I usually feed him in the Nojo (padded rail sling) until he's asleep, and when i hear his little snores, I gently lay him down --sling and all-- into the baby hammock. Because he is feeling the tension of the hammock created with his own weight, just like a sling, he usually settles right back down. If he starts to stir, we bounce him--the movement mimics the motion he feels while I was walking with him in the womb, so he goes back to sleep. We just started this routine, and he's been able to nap on his own longer each time. last night we had him sleeping in there for 40 minutes and are hoping he'll eventually have a full nap in the hammock.

we're also happy to find a good use for the baby hammock because we weren't using it at night...
Old 06-12-2003, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Nan, Thank you SO MUCH for posting the baby hammock link! Last night, my dh was actually trying to invent just such a thing! He was drawing it out and explaining it to me just like they have it! I am SO Excited to try this!

One question-why doesn't your baby sleep in it at night? Do you just prefer co sleeping?

I think this maybe our answer-going to order one today!

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2003, 08:32 PM

I hope it works well for you. Actually, I think I first learned about the hammock on another thread on these boards, so I guess it's just coming full circle!

I posted a longer description of our experience with the hammock on the new thread just started by maggie's mom...

but about co-sleeping, we don't use the hammock because I just find it easiest to put him to bed by side-lying nursing. I just fall asleep nursing, and it's easier to feed him in the middle of the night if he's right next to me. also, ds sleeps best and longest when he's near us, and I'm not going anywhere while sleeping, so we prefer to sleep with the baby. even for daytime naps, I have to start the cycle by nursing him in a sling, then wait till he's totally asleep before I can transfer him over to the hammock (or as dr. sears calls it, "wearing down").

my latest trick is to get a chain of a couple sassy rings and attach them to the bar of the hammock. then when i put the baby down in his sling, I attach the sling rings to the lowest sassy ring. that way, to the baby, it still feels like I'm wearing him because it adds just a little bit more tension to the sling fabric. it's hard to picture, but once you get the hammock, you'll see what i mean.

I was also really impressed with how fast the shipping is, even though it was sent from the other side of the globe!
Old 06-13-2003, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
My daughter would sleep in the sling all for all of her naps and on and off she would actually sleep slung to me in bed. This said she is 21 months and has begun to ask to sleep in her own bed in a separate room. I only say this because sometimes I think we worry that while something works for us now, we may be getting into a habit that would not be good down the road.
Some ideas to try are to nurse in the sling while lying in bed (maybe after walking around, if necessary) and lessening the sling while you are still nursing.
Also, if you are really tired sleep while your baby is asleep—I know this is cliché advice but it is good advice!
I’m so nostalgic for the days of little, nursing babies in my sling but there were days when I was out of my head with frustration.
By the way, down the road if your baby continues to sleep in the sling, you will have many, many rewards. Examples, late parties with friends while your baby sleeps, nice dinners, safe baby in crowds, easy air travel and etc.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 06-13-2003, 03:58 PM

I find that babies are really sensitive to your energy around it, meaning that if you are clear things need to change, they begin to get it. But it does take a period of wake ups in the transition which is hard when each day you feel desperate for that nap to continue. With my ds, if I laid him down he woke up, but over time he got familiar with a transition from sling to bed and relaxed. I relaxed myself and decided that it was okay if he awoke, and spent a bit of time letting him cry with me there to comfort him and let him know it was safe. Then when it was clear there would be no surrender to sleep I would pick him up again and treat him like a non-napping baby. If he fell asleep again I would again proceed to lay him down (as Michelle said you may want to wait for the deeper sleep.)

It was the same with transitioning out of the car seat to a nap inside. When I was exhausted and just picked up something to read while he slept in the car, he got used to not having to be moved...but when I insisted we were going inside he protested at first, then learned this is just how it is...and eventually would either stay asleep, or groggily look around and then drift back to sleep in my arms as I carried him in. Try to keep an overview of the growing process and the difficulty of transition while recognizing the possibilities to come. I believe it is a comfort for babies to have clarity and encouragement like that from parents, even as they get upset in the process.

And finally, keep in mind that you need this in order to take care of yourself...and you taking care of yourself is vital to caring for your baby. If you can feel this, your baby can feel this.

User Tag List