How to get baby to sleep in crib? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this probably isn't the best place to ask, but I figured I at least wouldn't get "just let him cry." First, this is for the baby that I nanny. He is 9 weeks old and most of the time, sleeps on my chest, in the sling or in the mei tai. Occasionally I can wrap him up in the miracle blanket and put him in the crib and sometimes he'll wake up 5 minutes later or sleep a few hours. His parents don't let him cry, and for now are fine with me letting him sleep in my arms (they do the same). But I don't know how much longer that will last and they really want him to sleep in his crib. Any tips I can try? Is it just too early to try to get him to sleep on his own? Thanks!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#2 of 23 Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 AM

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Why do the parents want him to sleep in a crib?
#3 of 23 Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 AM

does he hold onto your clothes? My dd holds onto me as she sleeps and this is what we do:

my little dd balls my shirt up in her hands when she is sleeping, so if I want to lay her down, I give her something that she can hold. Usually a blanket that has my smell on it or the shirt or nightgown or something. Then when I lay her down she is still holding onto "me". works really well for us. HTH!
#4 of 23 Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 PM

My son loves to hold clothes too, as someone else here said.

What worked for the twins was them sleeping in their car seats, in the crib I know, I know, not normal. My daughter spit up ALOT so she had to be on an incline. SO I would line their car seats with blankets, and put them in the crib, then cover them up. The twins loves to feel all snuggled and would NOT sleep on their backs for ANYTHING. So them feeling secure in the blanket lined car seat really helped. They slept through the night almost perfectly since 5 weeks. Good luck!

Erika, wife to geek.gif and Mommy to twins.gif born in 05, coolshine.gif born in 06, biggrinbounce.gif born in 08! Ive had 8 miscarriagesmecry.gif and am praying.gif for a sticky bean in December 2012! I homeschool.gifsaynovax.gifwinner.jpg and hope for a hbac.gif!

#5 of 23 Old 04-27-2007, 06:11 PM

I've been told that smell is a big part of it and that if mom or someone uses the crib sheet as a pillow case for a few nights that this will help immensely.

That said, nothing worked for me and only now (and DD is over 7 months) can I set her down out of my arms when she falls asleep and only half the time will she continue sleeping without needing the boob.

Some babes just need that physical contact or something.. I totally understand too, I sleep way better when DH is next to me.
#6 of 23 Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Put him on his tummy. I'll almost guarantee a great sleep then.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#7 of 23 Old 04-28-2007, 10:14 AM

You're laying the foundations for good sleep now. If he sometimes sleeps in his crib, that's great--he'll do that more and more (most likely.) Try to avoid creating a negative association with the crib by always picking him up when he cries, even if he's only slept 5 minutes.

You could also play with him in it, lie him down and talk or sing to him and show him toys or black and white pictures so he thinks of the crib as a nice place...
#8 of 23 Old 04-28-2007, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have another question- most of the time when I put him in his crib and he wakes up a few minutes later, he doesn't cry or fuss, I can just hear him moving around. I usually go get him out right away and just walk him back to sleep. Should I let him hang out for a few minutes as long as he's happy? Sometimes when I go get him he's in there smiling, it's so cute!

#9 of 23 Old 04-28-2007, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have another question- most of the time when I put him in his crib and he wakes up a few minutes later, he doesn't cry or fuss, I can just hear him moving around. I usually go get him out right away and just walk him back to sleep. Should I let him hang out for a few minutes as long as he's happy? Sometimes when I go get him he's in there smiling, it's so cute!

Unless he's upset, I'd let him be. My older DS needs to hang out in his crib for 10 minutes after he wakes up or he screams to get back in his crib. He just needs time to wake up I guess.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#10 of 23 Old 04-29-2007, 01:12 AM

For naps I put both David and Maya down from day one on their own and they've done fine.... I actually suspect it is the other way around and if you wait too long then they don't like it :

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#11 of 23 Old 04-29-2007, 01:17 AM

Dd is also in with her crib. She asks to go in it now when she's tired

We use a replacement object that is waiting in the crib for her after we've done our nighttime routine and read. We call it Snugglebunny. Snugglebunny never comes out of the crib 'cause he needs his rest to stay up and snuggle while she's sleeping. Anyway....it works for us. We also go get her fairly quickly after she starts calling for us. She needs time to herself though, and we can hear her making noise and moving happily in her crib on the monitor long before she calls for us.

With sitters it's a little different. We try to put her down whenever possible. It's a mixed bag if she'll happily sleep or not. She's also sometimes inconsolable when she's overtired and it's hard for a sitter to know what to do. Luckily, mostly my mom and sister have watched her and know her well.
#12 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
I know sometimes when DD isn't quite out she senses I'm not there and soon after wakes up. MAYBE BRING SOMETHING IN THE ROOM WITH YOU THAT YOU CAN DO QUIETLY(sorry shift got stuck). Another idea is to heat up the sleeping spot with a hotwater bottle or electric blanket then remove it before you put him in so the chill doesn't creep in. Anothe idea is to pick up a CD I saw once that was of sounds from inside the womb. I have'nt used it in a long time but I found a free 5 minute demo and early on it could stop any fussing. Or they may teddy bears with those sounds and heartbeats. We also used a bassinet it is more closed in and makes them feel more secure then a wide open crib. But in the end a baby needs physical contact at some times more than others, you're doing a great job.
#13 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 01:39 AM

honestly, i have no idea. both of my girls would go crazy without me. so we co-sleep.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#14 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Sure! If he's not unhappy, there's nothing wrong with letting him be on his own with his thoughts.

Also, I second the idea of sleeping him on his tummy. Of course, check with the parents first. My ds has been a tummy sleeper since birth and is a great sleeper.

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

#15 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
For naps I put both David and Maya down from day one on their own and they've done fine.... I actually suspect it is the other way around and if you wait too long then they don't like it :
I so wish this were true. But, it just isn't for all babies.

I tried my hardest from day one to put DD down to nap by herself. She would sleep for about 2 minutes and then scream and scream. I tried all the tricks--leaving a piece of my clothing with her, swaddling, a paci. Nothing worked, and I finally just accepted her sleep needs.
#16 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 01:24 PM

I disagree with stomach sleeping considering how much SIDS has dropped since they started the Back To Sleep campaign. Safety is more important than convenience. If you plan to sit there the whole time and watch then you could get away with it, but that defeats the point of not just wearing them....

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#17 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
I disagree with stomach sleeping considering how much SIDS has dropped since they started the Back To Sleep campaign. Safety is more important than convenience. If you plan to sit there the whole time and watch then you could get away with it, but that defeats the point of not just wearing them....
The BTS campaign has NOT reduced infant deaths at all. It's only reduced the CAUSE of death on certificates, since autopsies are now required for crib death. Sleeping position has nothing at all to do with SIDS. SIDS is unpreventable, uncurable, and frankly, so rare no mom should even let the thought enter her mind. It's more rare than injury or death to your child in an automobile.

Tummy sleeping is as safe as back or side sleeping - but it's more comfortable, releives gas/reflux pains, stops the startle reflex, prevents flat heads and the subsequent problems from that, gives baby more sleep therefore giving mom more sleep, possibly reducing PPD... that should be enough reasons. There is thousands of research articles out there to show BTS hasn't done anything whatsoever. I can certainly post it, but you can also find it.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#18 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 02:54 PM

I would also agree with the PPs who asked why the parents want the child to sleep in a crib. Do they believe the child would sleep better?

That being said, my own daughter sleeps in a cradle. It is small and she is swaddled. She does not sleep well without being swaddled.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#19 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2bja View Post
The BTS campaign has NOT reduced infant deaths at all. It's only reduced the CAUSE of death on certificates, since autopsies are now required for crib death. Sleeping position has nothing at all to do with SIDS. SIDS is unpreventable, uncurable, and frankly, so rare no mom should even let the thought enter her mind. It's more rare than injury or death to your child in an automobile.

Tummy sleeping is as safe as back or side sleeping - but it's more comfortable, releives gas/reflux pains, stops the startle reflex, prevents flat heads and the subsequent problems from that, gives baby more sleep therefore giving mom more sleep, possibly reducing PPD... that should be enough reasons. There is thousands of research articles out there to show BTS hasn't done anything whatsoever. I can certainly post it, but you can also find it.

:

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

#20 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 02:57 PM

I would NOT put him to sleep on his stomach.

If for some change something happened you would be held responsible. I do daycare and if any child died in my care from SIDS and was on their stomach I would be held responsible.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#21 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 PM

I agree. I would NOT put another person's baby to sleep on their tummy. Most parents, scared of SIDS, wouldn't want you to anyhow. I wouldn't want the liability. Though all mine tummy sleep!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#22 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 03:08 PM

Then don't put them on their tummies. If your baby in daycare passed from SIDS on their tummy, they would've on their back too. Doesn't make a difference. The campaign will eventually reverse again, just like it has in the past. We were told we HAD to tummy sleep... then HAD to side sleep... then HAD to back sleep. Next we'll have to hang them by their toes. Nothing will prevent SIDS. Sad, but a fact.

#23 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

I agree that I don't believe tummy sleeping to be dangerous, but I doubt the parents would want it, especially since mom is a doctor. Also, can't you not put a swaddled baby on his tummy? Or does putting him on his tummy mean he doesn't need to be swaddled?

They want him in his crib for the same reasons most parents do- time alone, so he's not sleeping with them when he's 4 (their words), so he doesn't get used to being held all the time etc. I will cosleep when I have kids, but I'm just glad they don't let him cry, they wear him, do delayed vaxes, and he's intact. I'll suggest these things to her, thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page