What was the first solid you gave to your baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What was the first solid you gave to babe?
Rice Cereal 39 31.97%
Bananas 40 32.79%
Carrots 2 1.64%
Apples 6 4.92%
Pears 4 3.28%
Other - do tell! 31 25.41%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 07-06-2003, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had read The Womanly Art... and decided against cereal, as any grain tends to be more allergenic (and also MUCH less nutritious) than fruits or veg. It also says bananas tend to be more constipating, so I went with sweet potato. Turns out I was right to reject both cereal and the bananas - ds still has difficulty digesting anygrains (and is, in fact, allergic to wheat) - and bananas were constipating at first.
#32 of 47 Old 07-06-2003, 05:35 PM

We tried bananas, sweet potatoes, and avocado (all homemade). Although I had planned on waiting as long as possible before introducing solids at about five months everything that was on my plate (or cup) was grabbed by ds. I finally blended some banana and bm and fed him from a spoon, he loved it. At six months know I still only offer foods occasionally but he gobbles them up when ever they are offered. He has also tried cantalope, watermelon, homemade brown rice cereal, mashed potato (gagged at the texture though), and applesauce. His poops, although still not stinky, have turned the consistency of peanut butter. Does anybody know if this is a result of the solid foods or just from growing older?
#33 of 47 Old 07-06-2003, 06:57 PM

It's probably from the solids. The more solid foods he eats, the more solid the poops will become (and they will start to get smelly too!).

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#34 of 47 Old 07-08-2003, 10:50 AM

We started just a couple of weeks ago with sweet potatoes. It's such a nutrient-rich food and the puree is a great color!

I like the idea of starting w/ tart whole milk yogurt, just 'cause it's interesting to see how your babe will react to tartness after having had only the sweet breast milk
#35 of 47 Old 07-08-2003, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by traceface
I like the idea of starting w/ tart whole milk yogurt, just 'cause it's interesting to see how your babe will react to tartness after having had only the sweet breast milk
I think the current recommendation is to wait until at least 9 months before introducing yogurt.
#36 of 47 Old 07-08-2003, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Horray baby had her first solids! I decided on bananas and gave it to her when we were on vacation in Egypt these past two weeks (thus my delay in posting the news). She loved them and was quite dismayed when they were all finished. They didnt seem to give her constipation.

Second up was sweet potatoes - which were also a real hit.

Yesterday we tried some carrots - not such a winner - but baby might just be recuperating from the long flight.

Thanks for all the responses - glad this thread has turned out so well!!!
#37 of 47 Old 07-25-2003, 08:54 PM

I was cooking one day. I was making a chicken dish that required me to make a broth. Well, the ingredients to make the broth were celery, chicken, carrots, onions, chicken broth, water, salt, pepper and parsley. You cooked all of this for 30 min (or until the chicken was tender), pulled the chicken out and retained the broth (discarding all the veggies....you know,the good stuff). Well, instead of throwing out all the carrots, I mashed them up and fed a bite to Kaeleb. HE LOVED THEM. I think it was the fact that they were seasoned instead of plain. He was grabbing the spoon, shoving it into his mouth. I think he ate all three carrots that I used in the recipe. Now he eats squash, sweet potatoes, sweet peas, mashed potatoes (from my plate). He won't touch green beans. He loves the normal fruits, mashed up apples (not applesauce), bananas and peaches (trying pears tomorrow - from my trees...the apples come from there too. my peach tree only made one stinkin peach) sorry, ranting :LOL. I don't think he has had too much of those cereals.

edited ** oh, and yogurt...lord this baby loves yogurt!
#38 of 47 Old 07-29-2003, 12:46 PM

I had posted I was going to try hm toasted rice cereal I had grounded, well I did but it was still too grainy. I tried it anyway on dd(4 1/2 months) and she wasn't thrilled, lol. Since then, I have slowed down with feeding her(I was trying to do it once a day) and just go with the flow now. She is definitely interested, but realistcally, she does't care if if we give her a spoonful of food or a teether! While holding her, if I am eating a pear or plum and she is going crazy for it, I will let her suck on it for a bit and she is so into it when I do this, I am very careful watching the skin. She also loves to take a sip of water from my glass, but she is just as contented to suck on the bottom of my cup When we have dinner, I see if there is something for her and have been letting her sample mashed potatoes off my fingers.

oh so cute, while picking sugar snap peas, Maegan was laying down on a blanket and rolled to my pile and grabbed a pod, she sucked on it, then snapped it in two and continued to suck on it, it was very cute(the peas weren't going anywhere)

I'm so glad I remembered, lol, to slow down about this step with her! I recall reading baby stomachs are better t ofiltering out bad stuff after 6 months.
#39 of 47 Old 07-30-2003, 10:58 AM

Now that she gets older I mix in brocoli, peas or brown rice and she loves it!
#40 of 47 Old 07-31-2003, 06:26 PM

Well, we waited until dd was pretty close to 7 or 8 months before we gave her some delicious refried beans -- the *real* kind made with actual lard .

We skipped the rice cereal, whirled peas, et cetera because to me, it all tasted so flavorless and gross that I thought, "Food is such a wonderful thing...why start out by giving your child food that's so gross you don't want to eat it yourself?" So we waited until her digestive system was more mature and could tolerate something more interesting than rice cereal.

P.S., She ABSOLUTELY LOVED them, and they are her favorite food. Never had a problem with them, not even "toots."
#41 of 47 Old 08-03-2003, 03:41 AM

The recommeneded age for starting solids here is 6 mths. Ella is 6 mths next week so I thought I would try some rice cereal yesterday and see what happened. Well sheloved it. My other girls didnt really take to solids until 7-7.5mths. I started on this first as it's easy to mix with something familiar tasting (breastmilk in our case) I will keep giving her this for another 3 or so days (to make sure no reaction) then try some fruit or veges.
#42 of 47 Old 08-03-2003, 03:30 PM

I kind of let it be a spontanious issue with my son, it was a pear because I was eating one and it was soft and he kept grabbing at it so I let him try it.

My daughter it was rice cereal because she was my first so I thought that's what I was "supposed" to do. She loved it the first time but never would eat it again!!

With my third I will just wait to see what he grabbs for that he could possibly try.
#43 of 47 Old 08-11-2003, 06:22 PM

Avacados - at 6.5 months

also nectarine which ds loves to rool around on the ground with and get all slimy!

I had planned to wait longer, but ds looks so longingly at dh and I while eating and one day he pulled my bread out of my hand and stuffed it in his mouth I realized I needed to follow his lead.

He does not eat from hunger, but for the experience - taste, smell, texture and mostly messy fun

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life
#44 of 47 Old 08-12-2003, 12:17 AM

I started dd on bananas last week. She's 6.5 months. This week we're doing avacado. She loves both. She waves her arms and goes "Mmmm Mmmm" and grabs at the spoon. So cute! We are having so much fun with food!
#45 of 47 Old 08-12-2003, 02:50 PM

We've given dd squash a few times. I don't know that any actually got down her throat. She is interested in eating, so maybe just doesn't care for squash right now. The other day MIL gave her mashed potatoes - WHEN I WASN'T AROUND. Said she loved them. I'm sure she did. They were the powdered kind, which has margarine & cow's milk added to them. I wasn't pleased. I want to try avocado next. This thread has me psyched. I think I'll try that tonight!
#46 of 47 Old 08-13-2003, 11:03 AM

eli's first solid was a turkey drumstick with everything pulled off
of it. i soaked it a bit in the turkey juice and then handed to him. he had the time of his life. *shrug* i wanted to give him something he couldn't choke on, since we were having a seder and he wanted to eat with everyone else. the next week, we tried some more traditional rice cereal & breastmilk.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#47 of 47 Old 08-17-2003, 12:31 AM

I posted before on this thread. At four months I tried banana with ebm because ds seemed so interested. What little he actually swallowed came out in his dipe still looking like banana, so i waited a bit.

He is a little over 6 months now, and I've been feeding him solids for a few weeks now. Not a whole lot, and not every single day. This time around I started him with avacado mixed with ebm...he loved it. He also loves banana. Peaches and apples he likes too (pureed with bm). Oh, and carrot, he likes that. He pretty much has liked everything I've given him. I usually give him a tablespoon or two at a sitting, and that is once or twice in a given day. But some days, I don't give him any...if he doesn't seem interested.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page