What was the first solid you gave to your baby? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What was the first solid you gave to babe?
Rice Cereal 39 31.97%
Bananas 40 32.79%
Carrots 2 1.64%
Apples 6 4.92%
Pears 4 3.28%
Other - do tell! 31 25.41%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,
Baby is coming up on her 6th month birthday. She is grabbing at our drinks and the table and is sitting up with assistance. I am ready to introduce solids but I am not sure what I want the first food to be. I have tossed around carrots, bananas, and of course the old rice cereal. What did you guys do?
#2 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 10:22 PM

I went with bananas at first. Rice cereal just seemed too blah. I tried all the other normal firsts too, avacado, sweet potato, carrots, etc. but he just wasn't interested until last week or so (at 9 months.) Suddenly he wants whatever it is I'm having.
#3 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 12:56 AM

well dd doesn't eat much yet, but at about 6.5 mos i gave her some organic cage free egg yolk (runny some the enzymes are still alive) since then she has tried a bit of banana, brocoli,watermelon and an oatio that i dropped on the floor and she was quick enough to get it to her little mouth before i could pick it up :LOL
#4 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 08:57 AM

With ds#1 broccoli and potatoes mixed together (at about a year old)

With ds#2 sweet potatoes (at about a year)
#5 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 09:57 AM

oh this is a good thread. Been thinking about this of late. dd is only 4 1/2 months and we don't plan on starting solids too early - she can decide. But I have real doubts about cereals - I mean they're all carbohydrate - why does a growing baby need all that carbohydrate. It doesn't make sense to me when we are all so concerned they get enough hindmilk and fat... to go give them cereals. And if the purpose of solids in the first year is to experiment and develop a taste, then veges and fruits must be better for that. I like the avocado and sweet potato idea - lots of vitamins in those.

In Australia, pumpkin is a favorite (cook like sweet potato)- not the Halloween kind but the butternut squash kind. And older kids often like mashed pumpkin and potato together, nice and colorful and adds more vitamins. We boil or bake pumpkin - it's a vegetable dish.
#6 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My favorite first food for babies is avocado! It is really easy for baby to digest and won't cause constipation like rice cereal or banana might. Also, it contains lots of good fats that baby needs. Just mash it up with a little breast milk or water. It also makes a great finger food diced.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#7 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 05:23 PM

I did the rice cereal thing, mainly because my ped told me to and it didn't occur to me to do it any other way. : I wish I had found this board sooner!

We started with rice, then went to barley, then oatmeal, then ran through the veggies, then the fruits. I did at least have the sense to not give Cole fruit juice like the ped suggested - at 2 months, no less! He still just gets water in his sippy. Other parents cannot figure out how I get Cole to drink water. Well, when it's all he's had, he doesn't realize there are other options!

The upshot of all this - Cole didn't really actually eat the cereal, he mostly just played with it. I think the first food he actually ingested was green beans. Now I just sprinkle some oatmeal on the fruit he has for breakfast, because of the extra iron but mainly because I have half a box I need to use up. :P
#8 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I second the drinking water thing. That's all my girls ever drank and at 4 and 2 that's all they still drink except for an occasional smoothie or herbal tea.

Fruit juice is really just sugar water and much too sweet with all the fiber of the fruit removed. I recommend that if you do give juice, dilute it with water.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#9 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 07:34 PM

I chose other on the poll.We used avocado. It worked out well, no reactions and easy to use.
#10 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

I think bananas or carrots it will be - still mulling it over. Some interesting firsts out there....
#11 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 11:05 PM

avocado which he LOVES and Cream of Wheat. Both smooth and easy to eat.
#12 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 11:17 PM

avocado
yogurt
#13 of 47 Old 06-14-2003, 11:17 PM

sweet potato and avocado...forget which was first. Banana after that. Tried rice cereal...she liked chunkier food.
#14 of 47 Old 06-16-2003, 12:01 AM

Squash.

I didn't want to start him off on something too sweet, and I wasn't very good at preparing fruit for baby. So I went with Vegetables first.

Chelly
#15 of 47 Old 06-16-2003, 11:00 AM

avocado...for all the good fats
#16 of 47 Old 06-17-2003, 07:19 PM

DS was 4 months old when we stopped in at McDonal's for lunch. DH happily let him try his french fries. My DS is a French Fry FIEND!!! He cant' get enough of them.

The second thing he tried was at 7 months and I gave him some of my oatmeal, which he LOVED.
#17 of 47 Old 06-17-2003, 08:44 PM

rice cereal, next baby will probably get yogurt
#18 of 47 Old 06-20-2003, 10:06 AM

Applesauce, then oatmeal cereal. My mom said rice cereal can cause constipation. I did this with all three kids.
#19 of 47 Old 06-20-2003, 10:23 AM

My babies are only four months old, so no solids yet. I am planning to start with *avocado* when they show interest/are six months old, whichever is later.

Reading this thread reminded me of one of my favorite books from childhood: Avocado Baby by John Burningham. I think it is out of print now, but you can often find it used or at the library. It's fabulous!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#20 of 47 Old 06-20-2003, 10:39 AM
tug

I'm glad to hear that someone else is starting to think about solids. my DS is 4 1/2 months and very, very interested in what i'm eating. yesterday, he saw me eating a carrot and grabbed my hand to push the carrot towards his mouth where he tried chomping on it (kind of hard when you're still toothless). i held onto the carrot so he wouldn't get it in his mouth but he really seems like he wants solids. he is interested in our food, has doubled his birth weight, eats bm continually (nurses or drinks a bottle of ebm more than 8X a day). the only thing he does not do yet is sit up on his own. his ped said to go ahead with solids and recommended starting with rice cereal, but i agree with other folks that i'd rather start with veggies. rose elliot has a good cookbook where she also recommends starting with fruits and veggies rather than starchy cereals (of course, she also recommends fruit juices which i kind of disagree with).

tug
#21 of 47 Old 06-20-2003, 02:59 PM

I went with rice cereal. There is not much nutrition to it, but my ped said it's a good starter because you can mix it with breast milk, so it's kind of the same and kind of different. She loved it! Next we went with carrots, peas, then apples and bananas. She loved everything and still a very unpicky toddler.

Peas was a mistake. Should have waited on those. Never give peas at night! Pooperama!
#22 of 47 Old 06-21-2003, 01:38 PM

I voted bananas, but I kind of lied. I offered rice cereal first to all 3. Dd#1 loved it. The next 2 hated it, so I gave the box to dd#1, who still liked it.

I was mostly too lazy to ever express my milk to mix with foods. I just used water to dilute when neccessary. She probably only got 2 boxes of baby cereal total, then was ready for real table food.

Dd#1 was/is easygoing. She allowed me to spoon feed her just about anything. I do remember she got constipated when we started solids at one point, so I backed off on the quantity. Bananas and rice cereal are constipating.

Dd#2 and ds preferred to self feed, dd also hated pureed foods, so they didn't start eating til about 8-9 mos. Then they ate just about anything. They didn't like Oatios (too big and hard, but I think the co has changed the recipe by now), so we did Cheerios. I am not a health food purist! but they mostly had fruits and veggies, mostly raw and fresh from my plate or stove.

We started tofu and fish/meat, beans and lentils at around 9 mos. They also had no problems with wheat or dairy, so we could do toast, pasta, crackers, yogurt and a little cheese. I held off on cow's milk til one yr. No need, with all the mama milk fresh from the source.

All 3 continued to breastfeed every hour.
#23 of 47 Old 06-21-2003, 03:31 PM

ds first food was banana. second was baked potato mixed with a bit of ebm when we had gone out to dinner with mil, third was sweet potato, fourth was carrot.... ds was about 9 mos when he started having more than just an occasional taste of food...even though he "seemed" ready by 6 mos, we actually started offering around 7 mos..

dd on the other hand already "seems" ready ( just over 4 mos)( doubled bw( i weighed her at our lll meeting- held at my peds office ), sits up, hand to mouth etc... we will still prob wait till approx 6 mos unless sumthin drastic happens

she has had one taste of some mushy banana though ( ds "shared" and could not understand why that was a bad thing, lol)

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#24 of 47 Old 06-21-2003, 04:09 PM

Organic Avocado mixed with breast milk!

We started with in-season organic vegetables. (which is also what we ate)
After a couple of months we moved on to fruits.
Didn't offer rice cereal.
#25 of 47 Old 06-21-2003, 04:11 PM

I don't know what he ate first. We just dumped a bunch of stuff on a tray and let him paw through it and taste what he wanted. We used applesauce, a diced banana, and some cheerios. He pretty much liked all of it. We tried the cereals, but he hated all of them no matter what I did to them to make them palateable. He had french fries once we figured he wouldn't choke. They are his favorite food even today. (And I really do mean today. He had some with lunch. )

He also liked mashed sweet potatoes and applesauce mixed. By the time he was about 1 year he was seriously into yogurt, cheese, peanut butter, grahams, grapes and most other fruits. He is not a veggie eater, though we do make it sit on his plate and ask if he will try.

I always thought it was a good idea just to put an item in front of him and see what he did with it.
#26 of 47 Old 06-23-2003, 10:11 AM
tug

We started DS (almost 5 mos) on mashed avocado and breastmilk yesterday morning. He loved it and made a big mess.

:-)

tug
#27 of 47 Old 06-24-2003, 12:07 PM

Great topic!! Iwas gonna bf forever, but...... dd is 4 months and we started with peaches and she loves 'em! She opens wide, and she will 'search for the spoon' like she does for my nipple, she gets all excited!
This is a few things I did...I pureed canned peaches in their own juice minus the juice, then froze them in tiny candy molds...this just happened, my son wanted to make candy and I had the idea of using molds to freeze our baby's food. So I bought 1 mold for $1 that fits about 24 tablespoons of food. Now I hold the frozen peach mold and she gums it...she is teething! So this is perfect.
And I popped a couple of frozen peach squares in a tiny tupperware container to travel with.

Yesterday, I pureed a fresh pear and added a little apple sauce to get it to a mush consistentcy.....I gave her some then, saved some for later and froze some. The stuff I used later in the day had turned brown(like an apple cut would turn brown). Does anyone have experience storing fresh fruits, would I add a drop of lemon juice to it?

And I had read in an old Mothering issue about feeding babes No 91 from Nov/Dec '98 homemade 'cereals' and just last night I bought millet and short grain brown rice. I just toasted them seperately and stored them. The directions said to puree tem in a grinder when you are ready to use them. I plan on trying this today so I will let you know how it works if you're interested.

I am trying to be so 'green' but the apple sauce I used was my 9yr old's son and 'gasp' it had corn syrup in it! lol
#28 of 47 Old 06-24-2003, 04:06 PM

My daughter liked banana, avocado and goat's milk yogurt. Sweet potato and homemade brown rice cereal also. But she really didn't eat much solid food at all until she turned one. She didn't touch mushy baby food, it had to be chunky and part of mama's meal!
#29 of 47 Old 07-05-2003, 01:16 AM

I really planned on waiting the full 6 months before offering solids, but while we were on vacation(Ben was 4 months old), Ben decided it was time. He wanted my peanut butter frozen yogurt, so I gave him a taste. I can't believe I did that now. I knew better. He spat it out. Then my dad took me out for lunch at an Israeli restaurant, and Ben started screaming and grabbing, so I fed him a few tastes of hummus.

His first real meal was bananas and potatoes. Fresh, homemade- never from a jar. I just buy a little extra of whatever veggies I'm cooking for our dinners, steam and grind it for Ben. Ben is allergic to fruit, so I only give veggies and cereal. Ben loves cereal, esp mixed with bm, though I do use water in a pinch. I also mix it in with the veggies if they turn out a little watery.

Ben also only drinks water, milk and sometimes Chammomile tea. I don't like juice, and I don't think it's good for babies, or children. I'll give it to him when he's old enough to ask for it. He's also allergic to fruit, so we couldn't really give it to him now, anyway.
#30 of 47 Old 07-05-2003, 11:04 PM

I too was very adamant about waiting until 6 months. But at about 4 months, he was just so interested in our food, sitting up with assistance, and way surpassed doubled birth weight (at his 4 month well check, he was 19lbs 4oz --- from 7lb 6oz at birth).

I mashed up some banana mixed in some ebm. He didnt get much, and though I thought he would be interested, he wasn't once it was in his mouth. He spit it all out. Well, mostly. When I changed a poopie dipe later in the evening, there was a small bit of undigested banana in there. So, that convinced me he definitely wasn't ready yet, not digesting it at all. He is 5 months now (in a week) and he is getting more and more interested (making chewing motions when we eat), but I'm gonna wait until six months for real now. No use feeding him stuff if his tummy can't handle it. But I'll try banana again, and want to try avacado, good idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page