~*~*~ *November 2006 Mamas ~*~*~ Chatting into SIX MONTHS OLD - It's MAY ~*~*~* - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we'll have teeth coming soon, although I've been saying that for 2 months. It does feel like something is under the gums now, and the teething has ramped up yet again. He's only been teething since he was 3 months old, but thankfully, it hasn't been that bad.

The new thing for this week... getting up on hands and knees! Eek! Yesterday I went to get him out of his crib after his afternoon nap, and there he was in perfect crawling position. Then he fell down on his tummy. But he did it again later on the pew at church as I was getting stuff packed up in my bag to leave. He only gets in that position for a brief second, but it does mean that crawling is coming SOON! Not ready! Not ready!

I'm currently working on babyproofing the living room. With Joshua, I just babyproofed the living room and dining room *really* well, then gated off those areas from the rest of the house. But since Joshua needs to get around easily, I can't do that this time. So I'm going to try just using doors as my main barriers. That does mean that Aaron will have more access to the house than Joshua did. I need to get DH to redo the childproof latches on the undersink cabinets, although as I switch to natural cleaners and such, it's not *as* scary for him to get under there. I think I disposed of the Comet that came with the house and I'm not ever going to use because I use baking soda which works awesome.
#422 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
Our futon bed is very low...but I'm not ready for DD to start crawling around our bedroom should she land on the carpeted floor! When your babies end up on the floor do they crawl around?

Has everyone here babyproofed their *whole* house? Part of it? Anyone?

We're moving in early July so I'm not dealing w/any babyproofing or bed stuff until then. DH doesn't think we need to put the bed on the floor, but I do. I'm just hoping Simi doesn't start crawling before the move. She doesn't really seem to be that close, but it seems like things happen over night sometimes.

As for teething, I've been thinking she was teething for a while now, but so far I don't see or feel anything.
#423 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 AM

porter is almost seven months already!

he's still almost exclusively breastfed...we've tried squash and sweet potatoes so far and he digs cheerios (or rather the organic version of them)....and oh yeah, he likes chewing on dill pickles....

he has two bottom teeth, is crawling like a madman and is already pulling himself up on stuff....i think he'll be walking in no time....

i wish i could write more, but he's trying to help me type and clearly does NOT want to be sitting on my lap right now....
#424 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 11:36 AM

twogreencars-- (btw, do you have 2 green cars? I think I missed out on how you picked your user name).. I have Iris, and it/she is gorgeous. Unfortunately, the wrap is a bit too short for me. I could do a regular front cross carry, but as she has gotten taller, her head is now too high for her to go to sleep in it comfortably. I would trade it, but it was a gift (from a friend who wouldn't sell b/c it had sentimental value, so she wanted me to have it). Anyhow-- I'm biased, but Iris is my fave of the stripes, though I like Katja and Simon a lot, too. I'm trying to decide an a new MT. So many great ones out there.
Wow, I sound like a serious dork.

Teething-- still can't see anything, but Ingrid is chewing like crazy. Sometimes it seems to make her fussy. I broke out the Hyland's teething tablets yesterday, and wow- they really seem to work.
She is also biting me when nursing. I know it's b/c her teeth hurt, but ow! I am worried about it continuing once she has teeth.

Our neighborhood wading pool opened on Monday and we have been twice already. We start swimming lessons at the Y on Saturday. Ingrid is really comfortable in the water at this point.

I can't believe all of this crawling talk. When I put Ingrid on her tummy, she rests on her elbows for a bit and maybe plays with a toy (if it is RIGHT there), and then rolls over onto her back. She almost never rolls back to front- if she is on her back she pretty much stays there. We have done zero baby proofing, b/c I think crawling is MONTHS away (hmmm.. that's what I said about her birth, too, the day before she was born)
She is, however, very excited to be sitting up. We spend a lot of time playing on different beds in the house b/c we have wood floors and she still topples over randomly, but often sits for 10+ minutes at a time.

And the baby led weaning .... baby is just not that into eating yet. We haven't given her any food the past few nights, just had her sit at the table with us, and she could care less. She seems happier playing with her toys than she was when she was frustrated at trying to pick up half a banana. And she didn't like having bits of it in her mouth, either.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#425 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 12:38 PM

I tried quoting you, Atruck, but it's messed up or something.

Anyway, Simi has started "biting" me too when she nurses. Man, she sure has a strong jaw! She seems to be the opposite of Ingrid when it comes to rolling. She's constantly rolling onto her tummy, but she rarely rolls back. The funny thing is, she doesn't really like being on her tummy that much.

We are going to have to figure out a good floor solution, too. I love having hardwood, but it's a pain sometimes. We usually put down some quilts and a sleeping bag, in the living room It seems to work for now, I guess. I just figure there's got to be something easier.
#426 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

ATruck - how long is your Iris?

Re: username - I'll keep you in suspense as I'm on my way (or should be!) to my 12yo school presentation!
#427 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 01:09 PM

Hmmm, babyproofing... I never really worried about it with #1; she wasn't a super motivated young baby. She crawled a little later and then went right to walking. I have latches for a few cupboards but mostly when they start crawling and pulling they just make a mess.

I may have to do a little more with Carl because he's trying to move much sooner than Cecilia did.

His bottom two teeth are out! Nursing does feel different, but it doesn't hurt.

Hey, is anyone else going through a major 6 mo growth spurt?!! Carl seems hungry ALL the time. I am trying to just be mellow and let the supply come up to the demand, but he has been getting pretty frustrated when milk isn't always there ('cause he just nursed an hour ago!). I only nurse with one side, so I get paranoid easily. I suppose I'll go to this month's LLL.

Oh, safe places for crawlers/almost crawlers.... Carl uses 'the pen' (pack-n-play) or his crib. It's nice- so easy.... BUT my first did not ever use either. She slept on the floor at this stage for naps and then pretty quickly she learned how the couch worked. She didn't/doesn't move much when she sleeps, so it was pretty easy. OR I was just a new enough parent not to worry about 'the danger'.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#428 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
Someone else here mentioned celery, but I haven't tried that yet. I haven't tried any of the teething tablets either. DD tends to spit stuff out of her mouth, so I am not sure how I would keep them under her tongue.
Our pediatrician said celery can be a hazzard so I would stay away from that personally. We have used the Hylands tablets and I don't put them under her tounge, I put them in on the side of her mouth, by her cheek... she does not know how to spit it out from there though she tries and they work WONDERS!!!

Quote:
Hi, all! I'm still obsessing over wraps...I want a striped Didymos...a Lena, a Jan, or an Iris...any opinions? "

Re: mattresses on the floor or co-sleeping...How do you put your crawling DD alone to sleep (if you do)? Don't they crawl off the mattress??? At the moment, DD likes to nap alone on her sidecar, and we wedge one of our long pillows at the side...but when she can get over the pillow, I'm not sure what we'll do. Suggestions, please!
What wrap are you talking about? I have never heard of any of these, but we have been looking at a Baby Hawk. I was facing the same sleep probelm and for the past week my dd has been napping on a plush adult blanket folded in half on the floor. Since this is working I might go get a little nap time mat for her like they hadve at some daycare centers if not I will get an extra long side rail for the bed. Some one on her mentioned these ideas for me. (THANK YOU! ) We are still trying to figure out nights.

Quote:
Our futon bed is very low...but I'm not ready for DD to start crawling around our bedroom should she land on the carpeted floor! When your babies end up on the floor do they crawl around?

Has everyone here babyproofed their *whole* house? Part of it? Anyone?
We have not babyproofed at all yet, but need to soon. We too will be moving so I am hoping to delay childproofing until then.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#429 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 02:58 PM

We are pretty well baby-proofed because I watch a 2 yr old girl part time. When DD starts moving she won't be able to mangle up too much, since it has already been worked over.

11/06 and 1/09 :
#430 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post
Hey, is anyone else going through a major 6 mo growth spurt?!!
We had one the week of our 6 month WBV. And he's still nursing more than he did before that nurse-a-thon. It used to be 6 times a day (one side at a time), and now it's more like 6-8 times, doing 2 sides for about half of those, as he just drains one side and is STILL hungry. So yeah, I think you're pretty normal. And if you're not, then neither am I. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATruck View Post
I can't believe all of this crawling talk. When I put Ingrid on her tummy, she rests on her elbows for a bit and maybe plays with a toy (if it is RIGHT there), and then rolls over onto her back. She almost never rolls back to front- if she is on her back she pretty much stays there. We have done zero baby proofing, b/c I think crawling is MONTHS away (hmmm.. that's what I said about her birth, too, the day before she was born)
You might find her doing some major things like crawling more along the lines of adjusted age. My first was a 29 weeker, and he crawled at 11 months, which was 8.5 months adjusted age. Aaron is looking like he'll be crawling sometime in June... possibly before next week... So he'll be between 7-8 months probably - a bit earlier than his brother. Although big brother was sitting up really well by this adjusted age, and Aaron still isn't sitting unassisted very well. He'll sit there maybe 10 seconds, then topple over. He can't just sit and play yet.

On the crawling front... Yesterday he got on hands and knees for the first time, and today, he's getting up there and rocking back and forth!!! Eek!!!! So not ready!!!! But even when he does that, it's still only for about 3 seconds before he drops his tummy back down. Phew!
#431 of 435 Old 05-31-2007, 08:07 PM

I totally posted this on the wrong thread.... : Ignore me...
#432 of 435 Old 06-01-2007, 12:18 AM

Magnus still doesn't have any teeth although i can see the front ones under the gums. He is crawling, and pulling up and cruising. He's nursing like a mad man and sleeping alot too. Lots of vocalization going on here and he mimics us when when we respond to him. I could also swear he says HI. Especially when we say hi to him first thing in the morning. And I think I mentioned it before but major seperation anxiety right now when he wants mama its the only thing he want and he lets you know.

M
#433 of 435 Old 06-01-2007, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATruck View Post
twogreencars-- (btw, do you have 2 green cars? I think I missed out on how you picked your user name)..
You didn't miss it. No-one has ever asked me.

I wish I could say we have 2 electric or prototype solar powered vehicles, but alas, we're much more mundane that that...We've got 2 unsound green coloured cars. We had the 1st green car and after our minivan was totalled years ago, we bought a matching green SUV. We had to have it - it was the same colour inside and out as our beloved ancient Mercedes...What a stupid reason to buy a new car (our 1st)...geez. I'm sure the new car salespeople are still laughing at us - SUCKERS!

I'll have to save this "handle" for a time when we've got 2 alternative fuel vehicles and it won't matter what colour they are - we'll still be twogreencars! ...we nearly got a vegetable fuel car last year....hmmmmmmmmmm...

Quote:
I have Iris, and it/she is gorgeous. Unfortunately, the wrap is a bit too short for me.
What size is your Iris?
#434 of 435 Old 06-01-2007, 09:52 AM

So does the June thread exist yet? If so, can some post up a link to it???
#435 of 435 Old 06-01-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Post here on the June thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page