~*~*~ *November 2006 Mamas ~*~*~ Chatting into SIX MONTHS OLD - It's MAY ~*~*~* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess A View Post
Thank you, but I can't take credit for them totally. I use a template from a digital designer, add my photos and text, and I'm done. Back when DS nursed for ever at a time, I could do a page in a nursing session. Now I'm behind, and I'm not sure when I'm going to get caught up!
Jess A - Just got a chance to look at your montages - WOWSA!!!! Can you share with us where we'd be able to get a template like yours, and also - do you photograph Owen on a black material at home? What kind of camera? What kind of lighting? I'd love to take photos of DD like that. I've got black and white background material and a Canon Rebel XT and tripod (my 35 mm Nikons are put away...). So - how do I do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2007, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't visited this forum much but I was just browsing and happened upon this thread. I couldn't help check it out with my Ella being a November baby.

Now for the incredible news.

I am the November 8th Mama!:

I'm so excited to have found you.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well, Aaron had his 6 month wbc today. He's 16 lbs 9 oz and 27" long. Basically, hasn't grown much since 4 months when he was 15 lbs 12 oz and 26 3/4" long. He's dropped a bunch on the growth charts, but I love my ped... She didn't even mention it, and when I did, she pointed out that he'd been at these percentiles at 2 months, then jumped up and off the chart in height and higher on the chart in weight at 4 months, so now he was just settling back to the curve he had at 2 months. So she was not at all worried about it and said he was just fine. Which I wasn't really *worried*, but I was noticing the % drop. He's in a growth spurt this week though.

My ped also asked if I was doing any solids yet (I started a couple weeks ago, just something here and there), and she reminded me to not let solids take the place of bf'ing, etc, etc. This is a mainstream ped! Hooray for her advice! Of course, I'm the mom that comes in wearing baby in a sling and using cloth diapers and delaying/spreading-out vaxes, so she knows I'm not "normal".

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 05-03-2007, 04:24 PM

Gave MJ some sweet potato today with her lunch time bottle. She freaking loved it!
Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post
I haven't visited this forum much but I was just browsing and happened upon this thread. I couldn't help check it out with my Ella being a November baby.

Now for the incredible news.

I am the November 8th Mama!:

I'm so excited to have found you.
Welcome! We knew you were out there somewhere...
Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 PM

Welcome, Gillibean!!! Woohoo! Nov 8!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 PM

To respond to some other topics:

high chairs: I have a Fisher Price Healthy Care Deluxe (they didn't have the regular one and I had gift cards), which I've been using in the house. I also have a Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Seat which I usually keep in the van for when we eat out or something, although I haven't needed to use it yet since Aaron isn't eating often enough to need to eat while we are at restaurants. The booster seat is great even for little ones that aren't sitting unassisted yet, as it really supports them pretty well. Joshua used it alot when he was little.

more kids: We're planning one more, but not for a while yet! Thankfully, my body tends to space them naturally anyway, and NFP helps me space them a tiny bit more.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:19 PM

WE FOUND THE NOV 8th MAMA YAY!!! Now back to the regulary scheduled thread!!!

M
Old 05-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Hello, lovely mamas!! Thanks for all who gave traveling advice on last month's thread. Our trip went surprisingly well - Landis slept most of the way both ways. While we were in SC, inspired by my very active younger brothers, Landis started crawling! He's really enjoying being moblie, except when he wavers and hits his head on the ground or whatever else is underneath him. He had a bump on his chin for 2 days from landing on the dining room table's leg while attempting to crawl over it.

Pinching: We're into that here too... It's especially bad during the night when he wants to pinch the breast he isn't nursing from - I have to keep his nails SHORT! During the day he'll accept me kissing his fingers instead of pinching, but during the night I'm half awake and don't want to wake up all the way to get him to stop pinching. DH and I both have long hair and we were having lots of trouble with hair pulling. He would grab my hair and yank, and I would untangle his fingers and get more and more frustrated as he grabbed again and again. DH came up with a great solution, though. Over the course of a few days he taught Landis to uncurl his fists. Now when he grabs hair we touch the back of his hand with a finger and say "let go, please" while making a fist and unclenching it. He's getting good about letting go quickly, and thinks it's a great game.

Weight: Oh, I am so sad about this one... I gained about 45 pounds during pregancy and have lost almost all of that weight, but I was overweight before pregnancy and need to lose at least 30 more pounds to be at a healthy weight. I have been swimming once or twice a week, which has kept me from gaining a lot of weight back, but I haven't had any luck with losing the excess yet.

More kids: Not for a little while for us. What are those of you who want to wait or are done using for birth control? DH thinks I should get an IUD (they're effective, maintenance free, blah, blah, blah) but I've always been a little freaked out by the idea of having a piece of metal/plastic hanging out in my uterus... Anyone have positive IUD stories? (Negative ones I can tell DH, who thinks I'm just completely unrational, are also welcome. )

Earthgirl: I hope the napping gets better! Glad you got a little bit of a break today.

Gillibean: Welcome! We knew you were out there!

CableGirl: How did you serve the sweet potatoes? I can't believe our babes are startingsolids already! How has it been 1/2 of a year already?!?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Birth control: I use Creighton Model of NFP. LOVE IT. Both my kids were planned, and I've successfully been not pregnant when I didn't want to be. And it's oh so easy - just look at mucus on tissue paper when I wipe.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:16 AM

Welcome Gillibean! 2greencars will be so happy!
more later had to catch up on all the reading.

11/06 and 1/09 :
Old 05-04-2007, 01:02 AM

welcome gillibean! i gave babydot!!! a teeeny sqish of avacado today.... she liked it but she sure did know it wasn t the same dinner I was eating
Old 05-04-2007, 01:13 AM

WOW!! I look away for 4 days and there's 4pages of posts to catch up with. I love it!

Elijah has his 6mo. wbv on the 15th so I'll get the scoop then. We switched peds to one who is very bf/ap friendly. She is also extremely supportive of a mothers choice on whether or not to vax, so I'm very excited to talk with her more on the 15th.
Right now, Elijah loves to roll-around...if I put him down he's rollin like a slinky. He still can't sit unassisted. But, my goodness can he pinch!! The other day it looked like I had a hicky on my neck from where he grabbed me and just pinched the begeezus out of it.
No solids yet. I'm very curious about baby-led weaning/feeding. So, I love hearing everyone's stories about that.

Welcome to our Nov. 8th Mama!! Sorry, I forgot your name ....
But, Welcome!!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:31 AM

Well tonight my ever so picky DS (almost 2) decided he suddenly hates applesauce, so DH was standing holding DD and eating the applesauce and DD went nuts trying to get it, so he let her try it and I'm not sure if she liked it. She made a weird sour face every time, but then kept going back for more. She kept getting mad when DH would take a bite and not give her any. Weird, at this age DS was so not even noticing solids.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Yay! We have a November 8th! Welcome!

CAUCmama - DD was making those same sorts of faces about the sweet potato I gave her. She lunge at it for a bite and then get this really pensivev look. SOmetimes it looked like she had just bitten into a lemon, but she wanted more anyway. it was very cute.

notneb - I just baked the potato and smashed it up with a little of her formula to thin it out a bit. She mostly ate it off her fingers.... I spread some on the tray of her "highchair", but she's also a big fan of the spoon.

Funny story actually, whenever DD sees me eating with a spoon or fork, she watches VERY intently and then open and closes her mouth with each bite I take. Spoon goes up... open mouth. Spoon goes in... close mouth.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:17 PM

Clayton opens his mouth too, so I give him small bites of the mushy stuff, like applesauce or potatoes. He makes sour faces, too, but still wants more.

I am going bald! My hairline is getting really thin. I don't think I lost quite this much with DD. I knew I was shedding a lot, but I didn't realize how much until I noticed yesterday I look a little bald. Will it ever stop falling out?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:43 PM

Oh Trotter, I feel your pain!! I seem to have gobs of hair come out everytime I shower. I don't remember losing this much with my first one. :
Old 05-04-2007, 01:54 PM

I'm sorry that I haven't been around... and I won't be for awhile. I'm not even going to subscribe this month. In the midst of all the other crap that was going on (with my husband's job), my mom had a stroke the last day of our vacation... like, we were going to be leaving in 3 hours. I'm thankful I was there since she lived alone, but now there's a lot of decision making that has to be done. My husband and the kids and I came back home (10 hours away) this morning. Monday I take the kids back to Chicago with me indeffinitely while he stays here to work... and get a second job. THIS BITES.

I love being a part of this group, but my time is going to be minimal while all this recovery and future living plans takes place. Plus, mom's internet is dial-up and ties up the phone line. So know that I'll be thinking of you guys and will join up again just as soon as I can. Please keep my mom and our family in your prayers.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:56 PM

Gillibean, we've been waiting a long time for you!

Hey, look, it's already May 5 and I've managed to completely keep up with this thread so far!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Just got a chance to look at your montages - WOWSA!!!!
Thank you! Photography is my hobby, passion, and side business . . . I love having a fairly willing model . My older two are sick of it.

Quote:
Can you share with us where we'd be able to get a template like yours
This is the template I use. At the end of the month, I pick 30 of my favorites from that month (or 14 from a photo shoot). I have PSE2. I use that to size them to 2.6x2.6 and 300 dpi. Then I just drag them onto the template, line them up, and make the template the top layer. Then I add text. Save and done! I can write out more specific directions if you need them. I keep a journal for him, so in his album it will just be photos.

Quote:
do you photograph Owen on a black material at home?
Yep. I use a black vellux blanket (like velvet). In PSE, I edit the photos to darken the background (sometimes the light reflects). With any background, you want to keep your subject about 2-3 feet from it to reduce shadows (though on black that's not that big of a deal). It's hard to do that with DS, though, who has to lie right on the background.

Quote:
What kind of camera?
Digital Rebel XT. I use a fixed 50mm 1.8 lens for most of the photos. Sometimes I'll use the kit lens. If I have time, I'll break out the 70-300mm which can take macro shots of body parts like fingers and such.

Quote:
What kind of lighting?
Almost all the photos I take are natural light. I rarely use the flash unless I have to. I either use program mode, set the shutter speed to about 60, or set the aperture to 5.6 or so. Now that he's moving, I try to keep the shutter speed at at least 60 or it's all a blur.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to show help you as much as I can. I'm not a trained expert . . . I've just practiced a lot so I'm still learning too.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:26 PM

wow, 4 pages!!!!

abbi is exactly 6 months old today "happy half year birthday to her" and she had a wbv a week ago. hold on to your seat mamas.....she's 28 inches and weiging in at 19lbd and 9 oz : ) She has the bility to roll but doesn't like to so i don't push it. She is sitting very well and we have started her on solids. She would stare at reach as we were eating and i took that her way of saying "come on mom, gimmie some food over here!" dd loves to go for walks in the ergo and being outside in general. i've also got a face grabber/eater and i love every minute of it!!!!!!

highchair - we have a first years booster seat with the reclining positions and dd2 loves being at the table with us

weight - i have about 7 more lbs to go!

more kids - i feel pretty content sticking with the 2 we've got but dh really wants to give it one more shot, he wants to see if he can make that little boy he's been dreaming about : ) if we do decide to go for another we won't begin trying until dd2 is around 2.

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

Old 05-05-2007, 11:41 PM

wow, 28 inches!...mine is only 23 1/4" I know I was an extremely short child but this is a bit much, LOL.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:35 AM

WOW - 5 pages already and it is only the 5th of the month!! I have not had time to read through - would like to at some point but I wanted to share that
SERAPHINA FINALLY ROLLED OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I was giving her some naked time on the floor and I put a toy that she wanted slightly out of reach and she ROLLED to get it! YEAH! I am SO excited!!! :

Hope you are all doing well - I will try to catch up soon!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:16 AM

Congratulations Jodee!

BlueButterfly -- sounds like our babies are just about the same size. At his five month visit (my ped wants to see him e/ month) he was 27 1/2 inches and 18 pounds 3 ounces. My upstairs neighbor has an 11 month old, and I swear, she feels much lighter than DS!

Gen, I'm really sorry about your mother. If I read you right, she lives in Chicago? Which hospital is she in? I ask, because when my grandmother had a stroke a few years back we learned a good bit about which hospitals are a BAD idea... Is your mother talking? A stroke is so scary, even if things turn out okay! I'm sorry this happened at a time when your DH can't afford to help you out...
Old 05-06-2007, 11:19 AM

congrats Seraphina!

big babies - count us in. I haven't taken her for her 6 month wbv (a week from Thursday) and I know she's big. She was already almost 17 lbs and 26 1/2 when we went in a 4 1/2 months. And my back knows she's getting bigger and heavier.

Gen - sorry about your mother. Sending best wishes and good vibes your way.

So, I don't remember if I posted this up already or not, but MJ started creeping last week. She's getting faster now but still only goes in reverse. She also finally figured out how to roll off her tummy. She can now roll both directions which makes nighttime A LOT easier since she doesn't wake up crying anymore if she wakes up on her tummy.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:58 PM

Phew. DD just pooed after several days of nothing. Since she only gets breastmilk, and was originally an at least once a day pooper, I was getting very concerned. This is the longest she has ever gone, and the consistency (I know TMI) was still weird like that last one. I wish we could tell when things like this were normal, or if they were panic-worthy. I tend to panic easily. :

We had DD's pictures done at Sears and they turned out SO cute! She had so much fun playing with the props they had there. She is such a ham for the camera anyway.

How is everyone doing this week? What are your plans for Mother's day? Some of my friends recently got mother's rings, and they are pretty. Do any of you wear special jewelry for your kids?

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
Old 05-06-2007, 05:22 PM

Jill - I wouldn't worry about the odd poo. I mean, in reality the digestive system of a 6 month old is going through so many changes it would seem to be perfectly normal if the poo patterns change.

speaking of odd poo... I know, TMI Since Mj started eating the sweet potato her poo has gotten really orange. It's pretty funny really. I heard an yelp of confusion form DH as he was just changing her diaper. It really kind of looks like a mousse of some sort.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:20 PM

Have your DH change a banana poop diaper! That will freak him out. I had forgotten about those worm-like seeds when I gave Aaron his first bite of banana.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 AM

Hi Mamas!

It's been so long since I posted, but I was happy to see that Zeben's name is still on the list, and so glad to hear updates on all of you. I cannot believe that Zeben will be six months in a little over a week. How did that happen?!

Zeb is doing wonderfully. He is SO chubby. I have never seen such a fat baby. I'm not sure how much he weighs, but probably around 21 pounds since I'm guessing he's doubled his birthweight. He was 19 lbs. at 4 months. But what makes him especially chubby is that he's NOT particularly long. He's pretty average, length-wise. But the rolls of chub are just outrageous. I really want to eat him.

He doesn't crawl yet, but he's trying so hard. He can get up on his hands and knees, but he only goes backwards. He's been sitting for a couple of months now. He can roll over easily, but is not a big roller at all. My other boys were crawling at this age, and I keep expecting Zeben to start, but he doesn't seem to be progressing very quickly. He's a very mellow baby. He's not in a rush to do anything ever!

He hasn't had any solids yet, though he's pretty interested. He has grabbed food a couple of times and almost eaten it. We are planning on letting him self-feed, and I'd like to wait until he has a tooth to offer any solids. So far, he's content to watch us eat and chew on a spoon. He's JUST, in the past week, started to really enjoy nursing (before, I often felt like I was forcing him to nurse. He'd only nurse every 3-4 hours (sometimes less often), and only for 3 minutes or so), and has upped his nursing frequency quite a bit. He nurses pretty much every time I offer now, which is such a great feeling (he used to scream at my boob about 90% of the time). So, I'm in no rush to do anything that might make him less interested in nursing (like solid foods).

We do EC with him, and catch all the poops. It's amazing. I wish I had done it with my other kids. And he is just outgrowing all the medium sized diapers, so we are buying larges. I am planning to do mostly wool for the summer (wool covers and t-shirts is probably all he'll wear).

I'd love to have a fourth baby, but have no interest in a 3rd pregnancy. We are talking a lot about adopting. We are moving in July, so we will likely look into it more seriously after that point. I'd like to adopt when Zeben is 2-3 (in hopes that it will be easy to have enough milk for the baby), so we may need to get on some lists soon. Our first choice would be to adopt locally.

It's so fun to read about all of your babies! It's crazy to think that at this time last year, we were just entering the second trimester. WOW.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Jill I also wouldn't worry about differing poo. I feel like DDs poo is different some days and I just assume it's something different in my diet. Or, the same old stuff, just more of something that is making an impact on her gut.

Mom's jewelry: DH bought me a beautiful mother's necklace from Red Envelope when DD was born. It's a heart with 2 pearls in it, one for each kid. I think RE has very tasteful mother's jewelry. I love it!

We had a dedication service for DD yesterday at church and then had all our family over for dinner and the afternoon. It was a wild day and a lot of fun. DD was a charmer and lots of old ladies at church told my mom how lucky she is to be my kids' grandma. So sweet!

User Tag List