~*~*~ *November 2006 Mamas ~*~*~ Chatting into SIX MONTHS OLD - It's MAY ~*~*~* - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 435 Old 05-08-2007, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all -- thank you for your congratulations. Exams are usually an exhilarating experience for me, and I'm glad this last one was fun or I would have been disappointed. But it was great fun and I'm hoping I did well.

Dov has this new habit that I'm not sure I like... So he always preferred nursing lying down to being cradled in my arms, which was fine. Now, however, he absolutely refuses to lay in my arms. Instead, he stands on my lap, holding on either to my head or my breast (picture him grabbing a fistful of breast tissue) and nurses like that. Or if I'm sitting cross-legged, he'll sit on the spot where my legs cross. He's also just started grabbing his bottle away when he's being fed and I'm out...DH says he's "starting to take charge of his own food!"

I just bought a Maya Tie that I'm not tremendously happy with. First, the color is leeching where Dov chews on it, which I think is unacceptable. We're going to try washing it a few times, but because I bought it from another mother, I don't know what I can do if the problem remains. Second, the waist straps bunch up and dig in. The unpadded shoulder straps are fine because they spread, but because the waist strap is so narrow I think it needs some padding.

We're thinking about getting an Ergo, too, because both DH and MIL, who babysits, have been using the stroller way too much since DS outgrew the Bjorn (which I never liked but which was a gift DH loved). Neither one is comfortable enough with the wrap or MT to put it on on their own, and they really don't like it. I finally got DH to admit that he just prefers the straps and buckles approach, so I'm thinking Ergo.

Welcome new mothers! (Sounds like you just gave birth, doesn't it?)
#122 of 435 Old 05-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Dov's mom-- I highly recommend the Ergo for your husband. It's the first carrier my husband has been excited about, and it sounds like yours would like it also, since he loved the Bjorn and likes buckles!

I'd personally like to try a Beco or an Angelpack LX .. the body looks like a mei tai, but it has buckles instead of straps that you tie.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#123 of 435 Old 05-08-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATruck View Post
I have an Ergo and a mei tai (and a solarveil ring sling, and a didymos woven wrap, and a fleece pouch... I admit it, I'm addicted).

co-op mama--- the Ergo and MT are very similar. MTs are slightly more flexible -- you can do a high back carry, for instance. They are also prettier. Ergos are very slightly easier to use and you don't have straps dragging on the ground as you do with a MT.

We are for sure using sunblock. Ingrid is rather olive-skinned, but Texas summers are unforgiving. We will use a hat and the solarveil sling and try to stay in the shade as much as we can.
We are using Waterbabies 50 and it goes on easily plus it has a sprayer which makes getting it on my older girls easier
#124 of 435 Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Naps question---
When are babies supposed to move to 2 naps a day? Is that soon? Are other babies here napping only twice a day?

Ingrid is still on 3-4 naps a day. For several weeks, she was stuck on about 4 naps of about 45 minutes each. The past few days she seems to want one looong nap in the afternoon (2+ hours), plus 2 short naps (one morning, one early evening).

I have just posted my first public photo of Ingrid, in my sig.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#125 of 435 Old 05-08-2007, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ingrid is **ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE*** !!!!!!!
#126 of 435 Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post

cancat- don't go back into hiding yet- I want to know more about your daughters heart defect...
NAK

She had a pretty large hole in her heart, and wouldn't have made it even this long without the surgery...as it was I had to supplement her with EBM for a month using a Lact-Aid since she was just too tired to eat - I'm also amazed your husband made it that long!

Anyway, now she's pretty much all ok and just needs to be monitored...oh, that and she has a big scar down her chest...we're just glad it's all over and I can just feed her "normally" again!
#127 of 435 Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Naps question---
When are babies supposed to move to 2 naps a day? Is that soon? Are other babies here napping only twice a day?

Ingrid is still on 3-4 naps a day. For several weeks, she was stuck on about 4 naps of about 45 minutes each. The past few days she seems to want one looong nap in the afternoon (2+ hours), plus 2 short naps (one morning, one early evening).

Ingrid is beautiful!

As far as naps go... last week Morgan was on two naps. One about two hours after she woke up in the morning.. it lasted about 45-1 1/2 hrs then one again in the afternoon around 2 for about 2 hours. This week we're back to 3-4 45 minute naps. *shrug* So... my answer to your question is: who the heck knows!
#128 of 435 Old 05-08-2007, 10:24 PM
cmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post
cmg and lex - We're doing ec too but it seems like you two are much more successful than we are. We have our on days and off days. I don't get too stressed about it though. DD1 used to ask me why I liked getting peed on. She now understands that getting peed on isn't really the goal.
Ha! My dh has much the same response . Today was a disaster though - projectile pooping from 4 feet up (I know, tmi). I'm a little worried because we'll be starting day care soon and I don't want her to lose touch...

Sun: Poor baby got sunburned the other day when we walked to work. I feel soooo guilty. I've now bought a couple spf 30 shirts. I'm still looking for light-weight pants. One of my students is home to Israel this summer and I may see if he can bring something back for me - they do lots of light-weight linnens.

Carriers - I have a ring sling, which I use for shorter carries, since it's easier to get her in and out of. Dh really likes it too. It's nice, now, because I can carry her on my hip. We have a babyhawk MT which I really like for long walks (I finally did a back carry on my own!) but I do hate the fact that the tails get in the way/drag around when I'm trying to get it on/off. We also bought a backpack carrier for camping - haven't tried it out yet, though.

P.s. Ingrid is sooo cute!
#129 of 435 Old 05-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by co-op mama View Post
I'm ready for a new carrier but can't decide whether or not I want MeiTai or an Ergo. Does anyone here have an Ergo? I've heard alot about the Mei Tai but not the ERGO.

Magnus is starting to crawl and I am not ready for it at all. He keeps getting ahold of magazines and shoving them in his mouth. I know that I should take them away but he looks so pleased with himself!

Gillibean- My girls keep leaving things on the floor and I have to remind them that their brother can get around now and he will put everything in his mouth.

Naps: Magnus used to take two naps in the morning and I notice that in the last week that has peetered down to one. I'm not suprised by this just sad cause he's getting older.

Also he went in the pool for the first time this week. It was 94 degrees here yesterday. He likes it but looks so suprised when he slaps the water and it splashes him in the face. He likes to jump up and down in the water. We got a wee waves UV shirt and swim diaper for him.

It's fun to read the updates keep them up.

Oh and I got him a mesh feeder as well, we've tried mango(loved it) avacado(liked it ok) and ice for his mouth.
I have an ergo and a mei tai...I prefer the Ergo of those two...I use it much more often and my mei tai is SILK and embroidered (so darn pretty)...still use the Ergo more...

my hands down fav carrier is my woven wrap...I love back carry in that thing. I also have a solarveil pouch for the summertime...its bright red!!!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#130 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Another quick update. I mentioned before both my girls were sick - several days with congestion, upset tummies and fevers (up to 103). I had them checked out and it was all viral. Well, now my mom, whom we are visiting, has pneumonia. I'm so sad and distressed. I don't know what to say.

On a happier note, our peanut is now 11.5 lbs and smiles and laughs all the time - especially when we nuzzle noses or when her big sister sings for her. She is such an angel and big sis is a sweetie.

Gotta run as DD1 is sleeping next to the computer and stirring a bit....
#131 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 02:31 AM

citymama on the ickies your family has.
2greencars, which woven did you get? A waves? Hmm and there are lots of extravagant MT's... SLM, Colibri, Taitasi? Or one slightly less hard to obtain, a fully embroidered Freehand? Do tell and I want pics!
I love my Ergo, and DH has one of his own as it is the only carrier he will use. The simple approach with buckles appeals to him. I wear it to work because it is easy for Awen to nap in and still see out (she is a 12 lb peanut), and it is very comfy for me and no straps/tails to drag around. At home we use a mix of wraps, onbus, and the Ergo. I am getting a silk ring sling to try out and can't wait to get it!
naps- DD takes a 45 min nap in the morning, a longer afternoon one then a early evening one for about an hour. Sometimes I get another short one thrown in while we are at work.
I sprained my ankle on Saturday, while walking. DD was in the carrier but when I fell she didn't even touch the ground. It is very grotesque and swollen/bruised. :
Sun protection-we have a big floppy hat for DD to wear but we will use sunscreen I am sure. DH and I are both very fair and she inherited our pale skin. I would really rather her not get burnt at all.
Names-Yes, please!

~Amber

11/06 and 1/09 :
#132 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymakesthree View Post
citymama on the ickies your family has.
2greencars, which woven did you get? A waves?

~twogreencars!

(the kinda creepy thing is that s/one IRL said to me a couple of weeks ago "oh, and you must be twogreencars!"....whatever!)
#133 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm and there are lots of extravagant MT's... SLM, Colibri, Taitasi? Or one slightly less hard to obtain, a fully embroidered Freehand? Do tell and I want pics!

~twogreencars!
#134 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

citymama - how horrid your girls have been sick...and now your mother!

babymakesthree - hope your ankle feels better...I used to sprain the same one all the time about 20 years ago...put some arnica cream (homeopathic) on it if you haven't already and also traumeel. link
Quote:
"TRAUMEEL is an amazing homeopathic product made from all natural ingredients that quickly relieves pain and bruising and speeds up healing after an accident, injury or surgery. It also reduces inflammation. TRAUMEEL is very easy to use. Just rub a small amount of the product on the affected area. Most people notice relief in 5 to 10 minutes."
My DH had a 105.5F yesterday and DD#1 was sick all last w/end and DD#2 is fighting it off...a bad upper respiratory infection/cold...and...our 2 puppies (well...actually 1 1/2 yr old labradors...keep having diarhrea...everywhere...just everywhere...)...and I just went outside to clean the pool and saw 2+ *HUGE* black widows in one of the kids' pool toys (a giant space ship)...
#135 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post

~twogreencars!

(the kinda creepy thing is that s/one IRL said to me a couple of weeks ago "oh, and you must be twogreencars!"....whatever!)
is the ! because I am too lazy to type two instead of just pushing one key for 2?
so, was it a waves?

11/06 and 1/09 :
#136 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
is the ! because I am too lazy to type two instead of just pushing one key for 2?
The ! was b/c I like the name - for online use! and b/c I like !'s !!!! Nothing to do w/ you!!!! BTW - we've s/times used 2greencars and s/times used twogreencars and can never remember which one we've used for what!

Quote:
so, was it a waves?

A purple/violet one in a size 7 . It should arrive Thursday or Friday.
#137 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 04:21 PM

DD is one two naps a day, has been since 3 months or so. She takes a two hour nap in the morning and a 3 hour nap in the afternoon. This is her own preference, I didn't do anything to make it this way. The past 4 nights she has slept from 8pm to 6:30am! I hope it lasts!

So some of you still have babes at or under 12 pounds? I was freaking because of my girl's size for awhile but I'm glad to hear other people with similar sized babes. Mine is somewhere between 12 1/2 and 13 pounds now, about 23 1/2 " long...she's short short short.

DD hates all wraps and carriers, she only likes arms, daddy's in particular.
#138 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 04:43 PM

We have a mei tai (not sure what kind, my sister made it for me), a maya wrap, and an Ergo. We've used the Ergo a few times, but Talia is still small in it, and we have to either frog-leg her legs or put one sticking out and one in... we have to do that with the mei tai too actually.... I like the mei tai a little better at the moment, but I have a feeling that as Talia gets bigger I will like the Ergo. I tried dd1 in the Ergo and it was great! I also love my sling because it's so easy to pop Talia in and out of, and she loves being able to face out.... I have a little girl also, though not the littlest here, she's at around 14 lbs, maybe a little bigger.... I'm not sure about length.

And for the mama who wanted to talk about birth control (sorry I forget now), I'm all for it!! Can someone explain NFP in detail (or pm me)? My dh also wants me to get an IUD, but I can't quite get around the idea of having something inside me either... any thoughts on the mini pill?
#139 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
The ! was b/c I like the name - for online use! and b/c I like !'s !!!! Nothing to do w/ you!!!! BTW - we've s/times used 2greencars and s/times used twogreencars and can never remember which one we've used for what!

A purple/violet one in a size 7 . It should arrive Thursday or Friday.
Ooohhh, if you don't love it I get dibs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAUCmama View Post
DD is one two naps a day, has been since 3 months or so. She takes a two hour nap in the morning and a 3 hour nap in the afternoon. This is her own preference, I didn't do anything to make it this way. The past 4 nights she has slept from 8pm to 6:30am! I hope it lasts!

So some of you still have babes at or under 12 pounds? I was freaking because of my girl's size for awhile but I'm glad to hear other people with similar sized babes. Mine is somewhere between 12 1/2 and 13 pounds now, about 23 1/2 " long...she's short short short.

DD hates all wraps and carriers, she only likes arms, daddy's in particular.
WTG on the sleep!!
My DD is about 12-12.5 lbs now but about 26-27 inches long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrose View Post
We have a mei tai (not sure what kind, my sister made it for me), a maya wrap, and an Ergo. We've used the Ergo a few times, but Talia is still small in it, and we have to either frog-leg her legs or put one sticking out and one in... we have to do that with the mei tai too actually.... I like the mei tai a little better at the moment, but I have a feeling that as Talia gets bigger I will like the Ergo. I tried dd1 in the Ergo and it was great! I also love my sling because it's so easy to pop Talia in and out of, and she loves being able to face out.... I have a little girl also, though not the littlest here, she's at around 14 lbs, maybe a little bigger.... I'm not sure about length.

And for the mama who wanted to talk about birth control (sorry I forget now), I'm all for it!! Can someone explain NFP in detail (or pm me)? My dh also wants me to get an IUD, but I can't quite get around the idea of having something inside me either... any thoughts on the mini pill?
The mini pill is why my friend has an almost 2 year old and a 4 month old. : Yikes!
We are using condoms right now (tmi). Not sure yet what we are going to use/do in the long run. Neither of us wants another baby right away, and maybe not another baby at all.

11/06 and 1/09 :
#140 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Do I have the shortest baby here or what? Should I be worried? She's only grown an inch and a half since 6 weeks old. But she's gained almost 6 pounds since then and her head is growing, meeting milestones, etc. I know I was a super short baby but after my super tall DS I just can't stop freaking out about this.
#141 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Cauc -- I think I've read somewhere that babies tend to follow their mothers, at least in the beginning -- because otherwise it would be very hard for a tiny mother to birth a large man's child. So I wouldn't worry unless your doctor does.

Naps: Dov is on the sleep a little every couple of hours and be really tired in between schedule. Unless I lie down with him, or my MIL holds him on her chest, the entire nap, he wakes up still tired about 1/2 hour in. His nighttime sleep is pretty good if we're good about his schedule -- we have to put him down at around 9 and then I have to be available to nurse him again the moment he begins to cry between 45 minutes and an hour later. After that he'll sleep five or six hours, but if I don't make it to the bed immediately, he wakes up and is up for HOURS until we manage to run him right into the ground.

One thing I've started to get nervous about. Just a little, mind you, but it would be nice to hear if this is a normal developmental thing. Dov has started flapping his arms a lot. Usually not both at the same time, and frequently he's actually hitting something so I can chalk it up to seeing how the pillow...or high chair tray...or teddybear...or whatever feels when it is hit, but sometimes he'll just randomly flap his arm for a minute or two. It's normal, right?
#142 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 PM

#143 of 435 Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 PM

:0
#144 of 435 Old 05-10-2007, 12:44 AM

Dov's mom - do you have my child??!! Ruby is doing the same things - the napping/tired as well as the arm flapping & I was also starting to worry Now I won't! I would like some sleep though lol!

mama to the most awesome 3! year old ever!
#145 of 435 Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hey windorabug and Dov's mom - you two have my child!!! From the napping/tired to the hand hitting the pillow, the bed, her leg, the air...

Re: weight - we just weighed DD tonight and she's 15 lbs 5.5 oz...
#146 of 435 Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 AM

Excellent! Thank you Windorabug and Twogreencars for setting my mind at rest.

My MIL is a wonderful resource in the sense that she takes excellent care of my son, but she doesn't seem to remember ANYTHING about having a baby. She's totally supportive of bfing (breastfed her two sons well into their third year each), is perfectly happy, if she's around, to sit completely still for two hours so "poor little tired munchkie can get his nap," etc. But whenever I ask her something about babyhood, or DH as a baby, she says she was too tired throughout those years to remember anything. Or that "munchkie is doing his own thing!" which is fine, I suppose, but not reassuring when I'm concerned about his "thing"!
Ah well. One can't have everything, and I'd far rather she defer to me on everything than nothing. (Everything includes waiting to dress him until I tell her exactly what he should wear, calling me at school to see if I think she should defrost a bag of milk because he used up what she had in the fridge, etc. etc.)

One last paper and then I'm done! I am very excited, by the way -- I got my first A+ of my law school career, and it was in the class I was afraid to take because everyone said it was so hard -- Taxation of Financial Instruments. Mind you, they don't give out A+s frequently at my school. I know for a fact that I had the highest grade in two previous classes and both were just plain As, so I'm feeling very special. The downside is that I really don't feel like buckling down and writing this last paper .
#147 of 435 Old 05-10-2007, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Good job, Dov's mom! A+ - well done!
Now write your paper (this is your conscience speaking!).

And - so great to have such a wonderful MIL. If it's any consolation, I can't remember a DARN THING about my 9yo DD's babyhood...nothing! ...except one night very early on when she leaked through her cloth diaper and another night when like clockwork, she woke up while we were watching Ally McBeal (she always managed to do this - it was as if she wanted to watch it, too)...
#148 of 435 Old 05-10-2007, 03:15 AM

Thank you conscience! The goal on this one is just to pass, the first step, of course, being to turn it in...no, well, the first step being to get beyond page 2. I don't tend to do well on papers, so heaven knows why I take so many seminars!

It's okay with me that my MIL doesn't remember anything about her babies - if anything, it's good because it motivates me to write things down. But way back that first week when I was wondering if his umbilical cord was looking normal, it was a great relief to have my mother fly in for a couple of days. She had six kids, her most recent 8 years more recent than my MIL's second and last, so it stands to reason she'd remember more, but it's also a personality thing.
#149 of 435 Old 05-10-2007, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
Thank you conscience! The goal on this one is just to pass, the first step, of course, being to turn it in...no, well, the first step being to get beyond page 2. I don't tend to do well on papers, so heaven knows why I take so many seminars!
My DH has a journal still to turn in from his pretrial litigation class - I also tell him - it's P/F - just put it together and hand it in!

Quote:
She had six kids, her most recent 8 years more recent than my MIL's second and last, so it stands to reason she'd remember more
: huh?
#150 of 435 Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Ruby weighed in at 15 lbs 2 oz yesterday(she gained almost 3 lbs in 2 months). But she had not grown an inch or even a half of an inch! She was still 25 inches long. Average, but is that normal?
Congrats to Dov's Mom on the A+!!

mama to the most awesome 3! year old ever!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page