am i wrong? baby sleeping outside - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 166 Old 05-05-2007, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my backyard, absolutely fine IMO. It is just like part of my house--another room. My front yard wouldn't work but other people have different locations where it wouldn't matter.

I would not want anyone to be able to see my dc from the public sidewalk or street. But my backyard is really huge and fenced and open. A sneaky terrible person might find a way to do something terrible to my child BUT this is not like an open invitation. That sneaky terrible person could find way to get in my house or something else as well. I don't think that every situation that can get our imagination started is an invitation to a baby-snatcher. The back yard is well within my comfort zone for a reasonable level of safety.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#152 of 166 Old 05-05-2007, 10:51 AM

I live in a nice suburban neighbourhood and am blessed with a lovely fenced back yard with multiple trees. I also rock my baby to sleep after nursing and a walk in the buggy, cover his buggy with the shade cover to keep the sun off and insects out, and place him under the tree to sleep. He sleeps deeply and soundly (I started this at 3 months because its only practical 3 seasons of the year and he slept like an angel from that moment forth). The hum of insects, breeze through the leaves, birds singing, occasional neighbourhood noises, the fresh air and a bit of sunshine = health and wonderful sleep.

I leave my french doors open while he sleeps and I usually read or do a crossword or puzzles with my toddler while the baby is outside. I can see the buggy most of the time, but not when I am getting food or taking the toddler to the toilet.

I think its great that some modern mothers still put their babies in the fresh air to sleep.
#153 of 166 Old 06-24-2007, 02:51 AM

I totally (used to) do this! I discovered it when my DS was about a year old and we moved into a place with a fenced-in front yard. He would only sleep for 45 minutes in the house and would wake up grumpy---I just thought that's how he is! But when he could sleep outside, he'd go for up to 2 hrs 45 minutes sometimes, and always at least two hours. Such a difference in mood.

For us, he's always out of the sun, usually with a screened cover on the buggy, there's a front gate with a noisy latch, and I keep the monitor turned on, on top of the stroller. Like a PP said, I can hear him breathing, when he turns his head, and if the gate DOES open (UPS, mail carrier) it is LOUD!!! and I'm running to the door in a flash. The other thing working against child abductors is that he's securely buckled in, the cover has velcro (noisy) and the brake on the buggy is hard to find and difficult to operate. They'd have to pick the whole darn thing up to get out of there quickly!

My sister has twins, and they took stroller naps for at least a year of their lives, if not longer. She'd bump the stroller up the steps onto her porch and either sit there with them and knit, or go inside and cook (open floorplan, no walls blocking the view). She doesn't have an older child, and it was STILL compelling to get the kids to sleep at the same time. I imagine it is so much more of a priority for you so that you can give DD1 the time she needs with you.

I'd do the same exact thing in your situation. My one other thought is that if CPS ever DID show up, you'd be right there at the door to greet them (probably down the walk before they even got to the door, because you're there watching!) They'd have nothing to report, really.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#154 of 166 Old 06-24-2007, 03:35 AM

It doesnt matter how safe you think your neighbourhood things can go wrong at any time..
#155 of 166 Old 06-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
It doesnt matter how safe you think your neighbourhood things can go wrong at any time..
Even inside the house.

flowersforyou.gif

#156 of 166 Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 AM

I would never dream of leaving my kids outside for any amount of time even if I *was* on the other side of the door. Anything can happen. Twins are hard, I know I have ID girls but this still isnt a reason to leave them outside. My twins were on a staggered schedule (about 20-30 minutes difference) so I could feed each one one on one with me, and then rock them both at the same time to sleep. I would find another method for getting your kids to sleep, safetly in the house.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#157 of 166 Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 AM

I walked my twins to sleep in the stroller all the time when they were younger (it is an excellent strategy). I always brought the stroller in the house because we live in a really buggy area and I didn't have a bug net for the stroller. But if we had had a bug net or if it wasn't buggy out, I absolutely would have felt safe leaving them outside while I was right inside a screen door. If someone wants to take a baby that badly (that he/she'd take one when you're right there WATCHING), he/she'd be just as likely to break into a house and take a baby from a crib--which you probably would be less likely to notice since you wouldn't be sitting and watching the crib like you are the stroller.

I am really surprised that anyone would think it's unsafe. And CPS absolutely would not be an issue in this situation. If they did decide to visit, the case would very quickly be screened out.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#158 of 166 Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 AM

I dont think you're wrong...my MIL used to sleep my husband outside cause he loved it...she thought I should do so with our baby and I am too paranoid, I cannot.

think of it this way....dont leave a baby alone anywhere you wouldnt leave a million dollars alone. is the area secluded enough and do you feel close enough to leave a million dollars in that place?
#159 of 166 Old 06-24-2007, 11:18 AM

wow! i can't believe the size & scope of this thread!

Only you can know your neighborhood. I'd feel totally safe letting a child sleep on the porch here. but our porch is up a flight of stairs & baby + stroller = too much weight for me to drag up the stairs. but i could wheel the stroller into the back yard. For me, the point is moot- dd never ever ever slept in the stroller. she was, and still is a girl who loves her bed.

in my neighborhood, it's very commonplace for little ones to stay sleeping in their strollers outside of the house. no one seems to go do laundry, paint their nails, etc. there's always supervision. Llyra is stating quite clearly that the twins are on the *other side of a screen door* and very much *NOT* unsupervised.

ITA with the culture of paranoia ruling so much of what we do and think. We all have our own comfort levels and they are largely based on our knowledge of our own situations.

Llyra- i'm glad you have a way for them to sleep at the same time!!!
#160 of 166 Old 06-24-2007, 03:51 PM

If you feel it's safe, then I trust it is. I leave my kids sleeping in the stroller in the back yard no problem. I don't leave them out front because I can't see them or hear them and I can't get the stroller up a million stares to put them in the porch. So for me personally, it's not a safe option.
It doesn't sound like your leaving them unsupervised and I think it's great you can get them to sleep at the same time.
I am not overly paranoid about things though....

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#161 of 166 Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 PM

This thread is incredible! It's really got me thinking about safety, there was a really great article in Mothering a few issues back, featuring Sweden I believe.

Oh, and I'd leave my babies/kids sleeping outside. We're in rural Canada. We also let my toddler ride a tractor and play with real hammers.

I'm sorry for the OP's luck in neighbors though!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#162 of 166 Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Actually, I'm not really sure WHAT he thinks the danger is. DH went over last night to chat and kinda feel things out (because of the CPS thing) and my neighbor told him that I'm a crazy hippie freak who's warping his children. He talked about how I let DD1 dig in the dirt and play with bugs and go outside without shoes, and how he can't understand why she's not in some kind of organized activity so that she doesn't "waste all her time outside getting dirty". He mentioned the other day when DD1 was lifting her dress up outside and had on no panties (we're potty learning). He mentioned how my babies are never bundled up "properly"-- jeez, it's 68 degrees out there and they're in cotton sleepers and cotton swaddling. How bundled does he think they need to be? He thinks I'm going to "suffocate that baby" with my Mei Tai, and he thinks it's a "trashy" that I put cloth diapers out on the railing to sun out the stains. He also mentioned the garden being "a mess" and complained about how I dress and how I really ought to "get my hair done". So I think he just doesn't like us, and that my babies sleeping outside is just another "hippie" thing. He's really strait-laced and religious and generally a crank, I think, but DH says he doesn't think the guy would ever call CPS. I've decided to think of something really outrageous and over-the-top to do to really freak him out, and then he'll forget all about the babies.
First things first, your neighbor is a nut! You mustn't mind him or think that others view your family as he does. What a nitwit!

Personally, I'd be uncomfortable leaving a baby on the porch while I was indoors, even if I was generally right by the screen door. ITA with everyone who has said the chances of kidnapping, animal attack, etc are minute, but I'd still worry. DH left DD1 alone in the car for ~1 minute to bring my keys into my yoga class a few weeks ago and I nearly had a heart attack when I realized what he'd done! (Yes, you can call it American paranoia if you like, but that's how I feel about it.) If you have the option of putting them somewhere less visible while still being able to watch them effectively, I'd use it. If not, I'd try to lure your toddler outside. The fresh air is good for her, too! And it can't hurt anything for your presence to be obvious to neighbors, passers-by, and wildlife alike.

That's JMO, of course. If you feel good about what you're doing, then keep doing it. You're certainly not "wrong" to do things the way you have been. And let us know what you decide on to shock your neighbor. It should be a good story!
#163 of 166 Old 06-29-2007, 12:34 PM

I think this is just fine. DD stays with grandma during the day and grandma always puts her on the porch for her naps. DD loves the fresh air and she sleeps better at night when she gets plenty of outside time during the day. grandma eats her lunch or tends to things inside while DD sleeps, but she can see and/or hear everything because they are only separated by a screen door. I should point out that while DD is in an enclosed porch, she is on the first floor of an apartment building, so she is easily accessible by other people. But the neighborhood is nice enough and I feel like we shouldn't live our lives worrying about all of the "What ifs" that there are. Yes, it is possible that someone *could* kidnap a baby sleeping outside, but the likelihood of it happening and you not seeing is extremely slim and would probably never actually happen. Babies need their time outside to soak up the fresh air and sun, so go with your instincts. Don't listen to your neighbor and do what you feel is best. As a PP said, your neighbor seems to keep a good eye on things anyway. I'm pretty sure he would see if something happened. Or, here's a thought! Befriend the old man (since he is probably lonely) and ask if he would like to sit on your porch and watch DC during nap time. Make him some lemonade and give him something to do. Then use the opportunity to tell him all the benefits of allowing DC to have plenty of time outdoors. It could be a positive change for both of you!
#164 of 166 Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
We also let my toddler ride a tractor and play with real hammers.

A
Yeah, us too...

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#165 of 166 Old 06-29-2007, 01:35 PM

Me too!! We even let our son "help" muck out the horse stalls.....shocking
#166 of 166 Old 06-29-2007, 02:25 PM

So hey, what kind of strollers do you all have that your kids magically sleep in them? (I'm serious! DD never would sleep in hers, the stinker, but all we had was a Chicco Caddy, which is kind of a glorified umbrella stroller). And where do you get the bug nets?

In case you can't tell, I think it's fine. My worry here *would* be stray dogs, but if she's right there, she'd see the dog.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page