Baby's nipples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-14-2003, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Umm...err... I feel bad writing this. I have an absolutely beautiful three and a half month old baby girl who we absolutely adore. She is very healthy (born 10 1/2 lbs, weighs 17 lbs now), ebf, and a joy in every way. A few weeks ago we noticed a little 'dimple' under one of her nipples. We asked the pediatritian about it last week and he said it was indeed a "third nipple"!! I've never heard of this before. Has anyone else had this experience and what did you do about it? I have two other daughters that do not have any little extra bits and I'm pretty sure it doesn't run in the family (although we don't usually sit around talking about our nipples). I tried to get medical info on this but a search on Google brings up disgusting x-rated sites.

Thanks,
Tara

41 year old mama to three beautiful girls (19, 16, and 11)

Wildly, passionately, eternally in love with my dear husband.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-14-2003, 11:23 PM

Don't feel badly - this is more common than you think. I know of three people who were born with an extra toe. I don't think the third nipple will cause any discomfort or problems.

#3 of 4 Old 06-15-2003, 12:54 AM

there was a thread not too long ago about this.....if you use the search function on the main forums page you'll probably find it! a good number of mamas here either have themselves or have kids who have third nipples. it's not a big deal at all.

if you do a google search on supernumerary nipple you'll find lots of info. here's one site:

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic735.htm

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 4 Old 06-15-2003, 03:00 AM

*I* had a third nipple! It didn't really bother me when I was a kid, but when puberty hit and my breasts started to develop a little, my third nipple actually developed a breast bud underneath. I had it removed (I think I was around 11 or 12), and no problems. I did have to have a bit more tissue removed when I was 21 b/c there was still a small swell, but it was undetectable to anyone but me and the doctor who did the original removal. He said he should have gotten it all the first time around, but he didn't want to remove too much!

My doc said that most of the time, third nipples won't develop into anything and won't need to be removed, mine just happened to. Luck of the draw.

I'm sure your daughter will be fine. You will just probably need to keep an eye on it as she approaches puberty to make sure it's not developing. Both of my removals were office visits w/local anesthetic, easy as pie.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page