Do you use a base for infant car seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2003, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a car seat from ds, but don't have the base for it. I know the instructions say it's ok to not use one--we didn't use it last time, but now I'm thinking it might be safer to, but then we'd have to by a new carseat! Unless we could somehow find a base...
Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2003, 12:22 AM

Just contact the company that makes the car seat and you can get a base. Most people who have two cars purchase an extra base so they don't have to keep taking one out of one car. I don't know how much they cost, but it certainly would be worth it, IMO, for safety - you don't have to keep unstrapping it and only have to have it checked once to make sure it's properly installed.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Great idea--cant believe i didn't think of that! Thanks!
Old 06-15-2003, 11:35 AM

I always felt safer using the base, though for a quick trip in someone else's car I did go without once (rather than switch because I was in a hurry).

Though a friend of mine had a older car seat where the base wasn't available and always used her's without.

To me personally, it always looked more sturdy with it, but those infant car seats never did feel all too sturdy to me anyways. Once I switched to the older seat (still rear facing until over a year and 20lbs though) which has a belt on the back of the seat that clips underneath the front of the back seat which holds that seat REALLY in place...and I mean, I can take that seat and shake it like a tornado is striking the car (without baby in it obviously) and the damn thing won't move, heh. But to me the older seat doesn't look comfortable enough for an infant and I'm still going to use the infant seat with #2 until about 7/8 months (like I did with Morgan).

Uhhh...sorry for the long winded response.

User Tag List