Welcome ALL June 2006 Mamas-- May Chat - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2007, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
oh that is interesting! I never would have connected the two.

SO I took lil ant in to our local redi care this morning (no one else thought I should) and YES SHE HAS A DOUBLE EAR INFECTION!!!! the doc said that it was cherry-red in her right ear. Poor baby.

I am very relieved that it isn't a sign of new nighttime behaviors though.

So this is her second ear infection in a month. I guess I may have to break down and go to her ped again and ask about the reflux correlation.

Thank you guys for convincing me that it could have a medical explanation!!!!
Oh man! I'm so sorry that she's got a double ear infection. I hope it clears soon.

The reason I even thought to ask him about the correlation was b/c it seemed like the ear infection that she couldn't get rid of coincided with stopping the Pepcid. He said that the pepcid keeps the reflux down when she sleeps, and with out the medicine, it can come up and I guess kinda rest somehow behind her ears? I don't know the technicalities, but she's always had the silent kind (except for the screaming, constant (like 24/7) nursing, and all that fun stuff, so I didn't see any other change but the ear infection. Since I restarted the pepcid 2 months ago, she's not had another one. Now that we're coming out of ear infection "season", I may try to take her off of it again and see what happens, but if it comes down to it, I'd rather have her on the Pepcid than the antibiotics day after day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
is anyone else obsessed with the toilet?? : leave the bathroom door open and forget about it! he's lifting the seat up trying to play in the water and eat any tp if he finds some. (cuz we have the mellow rule) ugh. it's so . so we have to watch the door like a bunch of hawks.
It seems my boys think we have a mellow rule here too,Im forever flushing toilets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
Sebastian is 11 months old today!

OMG, he's almost a year old. So that's why I've felt like crying all morning. How bittersweet.

He's crawling as fast as Qualia walks. He can stand on his own now and is *this* close to taking his first step. He points and waves, and has started to sign a little -- "all done," "hi", "bye," "nursing." He says "dat!" and points when he wants to know what something is. He says "mama" and "mamamamamama." And I swear he says "Qualia" in almost the same way she said her name when she was first starting to talk. "AY-yuh." Very emphatically.

He is still the jolliest baby I've ever known. In the middle of nursing he'll pull off, look up at me, and just start laughing his head off. Either mama's boobs are hysterical or he's thinking some funny thoughts in there.

He loves to play games. He pulls Qualia's playsilks over his head to hide, then pops out -- peek-a-boo! His favorite game right now is throw the toy. Hand him a toy. Toy hits the ground. Rinse and repeat for as long as you can stand it. He'll keep going forever. Singing is fun, too. He turns Qualia's keyboard on (yup, he can already work the power switch, volume, and beat buttons), jangle the keyboard, then stick the whole microphone in his mouth and start singing away. Kid's got lungs. It's pretty funny looking.

The other day he studied Qualia's Radio Flyer tricycle (almost as tall as he is), climbed up the steps, and swung himself onto the seat with casual aplomb, like he'd done it a million times before, and started ringing the bell. Pretty impressive for a baby who can't walk yet. *lol* I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to be a climber. Danger baby extraordinaire. (In other words, the kid who gives his mother about fifty heart attacks a day.)

I can't believe our baby is so close to not being a baby anymore.

ETA: *This* close indeed. RJ and the kids just got back from playgroup. Bastian took his first step!

[x-posted from my blog]
What is with the throwing game, that is a good one around here. The dogs have cought on so they bring her balls and she throws them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
So. Katie has had a toothbrush for ages. We lost it about 5 months ago. Have been looking for it since then. I finally caved and bought a new one (different color) on Monday. Guess what I found this morning? :
always the way! I loose baby nail clippers I have like 10 of them. I buy a pair cuz I can't find them and then find 2. Tooth thing looks cool, we just have a oral b one.

Quote:
oh that is interesting! I never would have connected the two.

SO I took lil ant in to our local redi care this morning (no one else thought I should) and YES SHE HAS A DOUBLE EAR INFECTION!!!! the doc said that it was cherry-red in her right ear. Poor baby.

I am very relieved that it isn't a sign of new nighttime behaviors though.

So this is her second ear infection in a month. I guess I may have to break down and go to her ped again and ask about the reflux correlation.

Thank you guys for convincing me that it could have a medical explanation!!!!
Ouch poor lil ant! hope she feels better soon!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 PM

Aw, poor little ant. I hope she feels better soon. I'm glad you were able to find a reason for her screaming though.

I have to go. My baby is a total maniac.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Poor lil ant. ear infections suck.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:11 PM

we're clapping like crazy here. which is nice, because it's a lot easier to use positive reinforcement when she understands what positive is.

B got first-hand evidence that GD works while he was home for lunch. S2 crawled over to the baby gate that blocks off the kitchen door, and was pulling on it and about to pull it on to her head. So I raised my voice and said her name (I was nursing J and B was in the other room) and B walked in just as she let go of the gate, looked at me, and her whole little face crumbled. At least she got away from the gate.

She also waved good-bye to B when he left today.

Still not pulling up, cruising, trying to walk or crawling traditionally. She did take a few steps while I held her hands though. If she walks by 18 months I'll be happy.

She was 13 months old yesterday.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 05-21-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejon1 View Post
The reason I even thought to ask him about the correlation was b/c it seemed like the ear infection that she couldn't get rid of coincided with stopping the Pepcid. He said that the pepcid keeps the reflux down when she sleeps, and with out the medicine, it can come up and I guess kinda rest somehow behind her ears? I don't know the technicalities, but she's always had the silent kind (except for the screaming, constant (like 24/7) nursing, and all that fun stuff, so I didn't see any other change but the ear infection. Since I restarted the pepcid 2 months ago, she's not had another one. Now that we're coming out of ear infection "season", I may try to take her off of it again and see what happens, but if it comes down to it, I'd rather have her on the Pepcid than the antibiotics day after day.
Now does the Pepcid close the top of the stomach or does it neutralize (sp?) the acid? We had lil ant on Zantac but I think that just neutralizes the acid...

Thank you everyone for your hugs! She seems to be feeling a little better already....she slept 5 hours straight last night!!!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your hugs! She seems to be feeling a little better already....she slept 5 hours straight last night!!!!!
oh yay!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
we're clapping like crazy here. which is nice, because it's a lot easier to use positive reinforcement when she understands what positive is.

B got first-hand evidence that GD works while he was home for lunch. S2 crawled over to the baby gate that blocks off the kitchen door, and was pulling on it and about to pull it on to her head. So I raised my voice and said her name (I was nursing J and B was in the other room) and B walked in just as she let go of the gate, looked at me, and her whole little face crumbled. At least she got away from the gate.

She also waved good-bye to B when he left today.

Still not pulling up, cruising, trying to walk or crawling traditionally. She did take a few steps while I held her hands though. If she walks by 18 months I'll be happy.

She was 13 months old yesterday.
My second did not walk till 18 mos, don't worry. I think it was cuz he's lazy.every time he grunted ds1 would get what he wanted.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Now does the Pepcid close the top of the stomach or does it neutralize (sp?) the acid? We had lil ant on Zantac but I think that just neutralizes the acid...

yay! sleep we had sleep but crappy twisty turny sleep.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that they do the same thing. Our ped said that most babies will just take Pepcid easier b/c they don't like the taste of Zantac (really minty). We tried the Zantac and she did spit it out. If Lil' Ant was taking the Zantac w/ no problem before, I'm sure she'd probaby take it again. If you'd want to try it. I'm glad she seems to be sleeping better. Hopefully that'll last.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 PM

Hello mamas and welcome newbies!

Hope you all are doing well ... I'm hanging in there ... as I said last week, I think the fog is lifting and I'm starting to feel more like me again ... I'm trying to get on top of the things weighing me down (which in some cases means to just let them go and get over them LOL)

Funny about the toilet obsession! Max has an obsession with a hot pink golf club, which he carries around everywhere! A plastic golf club as a "lovie" go figure I've got a few recent pics on the http://rockingranola.com including a golf club photo (scroll down for Mother's Day pics of me & the kiddos)

Korin, this is late ... but any group that wouldn't want you in it is a group I don't want to be in anyway LOVE YOU, mama!!!! I thought of you & Ruby on Sunday

Max, who HATED peas with a passion for two months, has suddenly decided that they are his favorite food and he will open the fridge and bring me the dish with the thawing food "cube" (I blend up steamed peas and then freeze them in ice cubes) ... yes, my son can open the fridge ... : Other fun fridge activities include pulling open the veggie bins and then quietly putting everything he can get his hands on inside

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 PM

you too Kara And I thought of you guys on sunday too

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 AM

Sorry to hear about the ear infections, etc, plaguing some June babes. We have narrowly missed those ourselves here, 'though I did take Miss N to an urgent care clinic once just to rule it out. Man, I miss the military health insurance! Blork. Paying for stuff sucks.

Neves is soooooo clingy right now, sheesh! I got very frustrated trying to make dinner with her attached to my pant leg, acting like I never pay attention to her (nor sleep with her every night, nor have boob-at-the-ready all the time). It's time for some ME time, y'awl.

Other than that, just another day in paradise. Hah. Remodeling is soooo not paradise, especially when it's been dragging on for almost three full months now. The kitchen is at about 95% completion (but totally functional, thank gawd) and the bathroom is just now underway. I could use a tub right now. At least we have a shower elsewhere in the house. hasn't been *too* bad, remodeling with a baby around, but I do look forward to being able to have a totally baby-proof house and not just live in one or two rooms at a time.

It's almost time for my boobs to make an appearance in the bedtime routine, so I'll sign off.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara View Post
Hope you all are doing well ... I'm hanging in there ... as I said last week, I think the fog is lifting and I'm starting to feel more like me again ... I'm trying to get on top of the things weighing me down (which in some cases means to just let them go and get over them LOL)

Funny about the toilet obsession! Max has an obsession with a hot pink golf club, which he carries around everywhere! A plastic golf club as a "lovie" go figure I've got a few recent pics on the http://rockingranola.com including a golf club photo (scroll down for Mother's Day pics of me & the kiddos)
I'm glad you're feeling less foggy and Max sure is cute with that golf club! (I like the piano playing too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
S
Neves is soooooo clingy right now, sheesh! I got very frustrated trying to make dinner with her attached to my pant leg, acting like I never pay attention to her (nor sleep with her every night, nor have boob-at-the-ready all the time). It's time for some ME time, y'awl.
I hear you there! Dh has learned the art of walking very slowly with a baby attached to his leg while making dinner. Scares me to death when he has a pot of noodles in his hands.

I had a dream last night that I was nursing little ant (post-apocalyptic dream) and it was so wonderful! (not the apocalypse...the nursing. zombies suck!) I wonder if I should start offering again??? It's been a couple months since I've tried. We've talked about switching her to cow's milk but I'm really nervous about that...I'm not sure why but it feels like she is too young still...and she wants a bottle every 2 hours still. And we don't even drink cow milk so it seems strange to me.

Last night was heck. But it wasn't hurt baby heck...it was monster baby heck, which far more tolerable.

Eh, rambling before work always makes me late to get there.

Can I say that I am very grateful to still have my DDC after over a year? and that so many people have stayed and/or come back? My IRL MDC buddies don't still have a DDC they call home. I am lucky!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 AM

Bankruptcy is DONE! Off to file it as soon as I get banana bread out of the oven, pump, and feed both kiddos.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 05-22-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara View Post
I've got a few recent pics on the http://rockingranola.com including a golf club photo (scroll down for Mother's Day pics of me & the kiddos)
Cute pics! Beautiful family. I love that piano one!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:22 PM

I have a tricky, tricky baby. She likes to pretend she's on her way to being a sleeper, then when I least expect it...ha! You fool! I'm going to wake up at 3 a.m. to talk to the ceiling fan!

Other than that, she's adorable. Her little personality is coming out more and more. She likes to play this game where she crawls toward the wine rack, then I start going after her, then she looks back at me, shrieks and giggles, then crawls faster, then screams with delight when I scoop her up, then I put her somewhere else in the room and we repeat the game over and over and over again.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:06 PM

We are very into hitting and bitting! : .... and being cute!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:15 PM

s2 just pulled up!! twice!!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 PM

go sam!
I'm making coconut milk ice cream
Ruby loves coconut milk :

Old 05-22-2007, 10:53 PM

Nevie's new joke is growling. And then laughing like Beavis. I lurve it.

Some days she likes grown-up food, some days she doesn't. If it doesn't have any texture, you can bet she'll splooge it all back out her mouth. Then smile. It's maddening. Illogically, I fear she'll never want to wean, but like I said -- that's illogical, so don't worry about correcting me on that.

I wish she would take naps. For her own health and my sanity. Oh well.

Well, I'm off to try the Masters Swim group at our Y. I have to find some way to get my swim on in order to train for my triathlons. Swimming's my favorite part, too.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kait took 2 steps on her own tonight. During "daddy time". I'm with her 22 out of 24 freeking hours a day, and she picks daddy time to walk.

Ingrate.

I'm bummed I missed it, but the sound of Jason's ecstatic voice calling out to me saying, "She just took two steps towards me!!!" was great. I've been there for every other one of her firsts, he deserves a big one.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 05-23-2007, 12:23 AM

yeah for walking! not here yet... fine by me

TOnight i made coconut milk ice cream and chicken masala for dinner. Ruby thinks coconut milk is the (second) nectar of the gods.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
Kait took 2 steps on her own tonight. During "daddy time". I'm with her 22 out of 24 freeking hours a day, and she picks daddy time to walk.

Ingrate.

I'm bummed I missed it, but the sound of Jason's ecstatic voice calling out to me saying, "She just took two steps towards me!!!" was great. I've been there for every other one of her firsts, he deserves a big one.
Doesn't that always happen! Evie's favorite is for me to tell her "say Mama, say Mama, Evie." She'll look right at me, grin and say DADA! DADA! Then laugh and laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
yeah for walking! not here yet... fine by me

TOnight i made coconut milk ice cream and chicken masala for dinner. Ruby thinks coconut milk is the (second) nectar of the gods.
Your dinner sounds divine.

Evie has put herself to sleep for the last 3 nights! I can't believe it. After nursing, I usually have to wait until she's asleep to put her down, but I decided to try just placing her in her crib and she just snuggled in and fell asleep! I couldn't believe it. She also woke up happy and played for a few minutes before I went and got her. I love it when I wake up to baby giggles!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you're feeling less foggy and Max sure is cute with that golf club! (I like the piano playing too!)
Thanks My mom and I were talking tonight ... do you suppose he is using the golf club for balance? Like a tightrope walker with that long pole? Maybe?

Quote:
Can I say that I am very grateful to still have my DDC after over a year? and that so many people have stayed and/or come back? My IRL MDC buddies don't still have a DDC they call home. I am lucky!
Indeed! So, what happens next month? Like in July do we get kicked out of here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
go sam!
I'm making coconut milk ice cream
Ruby loves coconut milk :
Here's how dumb I am these days: we have all these cans of coconut milk because Iron Chef Jillian decided she wanted to cook food with it last week, and then after three dishes decided she doesn't like coconut I never even thought of offering it to Max ... I've been making banana coconut smoothie popsicles for me! (okay, maybe that is an example of how greedy I am, not dumb!)

Okay, off to change out the diaper laundry ... can you all believe I've made it 6 whole months of cloth diapering?

Best Wishes! And good night

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
Old 05-23-2007, 02:22 AM

six months! you rock Kara! What's the recipe for banana/coconut smoothie popsicles?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
We are very into hitting and bitting!
Ouch. No biting here, but lots of hitting and then tantrums when I won't let her repeat it.

Quote:
Doesn't that always happen! Evie's favorite is for me to tell her "say Mama, say Mama, Evie." She'll look right at me, grin and say DADA! DADA! Then laugh and laugh.
K does this too. Congrats on the sleeping, that's great.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 AM

...sigh...at work so no time for personals, just sneaking in to say i've been reading, but now that i'm working (as in OUTSIDE the home, which is frankly less work than inside the home) it's so hard to find time to post b/c i want to spend every free moment i have with the kids and then usually end up passing out when i put them to bed ah well, i'll have time for friendship later, right?

mikey loves to sweep, vacuum, run the hose, anything that involves something he can push around. it's hilarious. he will run the vacuum and then cry hysterically when you turn it off, going prone on the floor with his grief that you have stopped...i mean i feel bad for him, but it's sad-baby-cute too, yk? he's a huge imitator, he checks the mailbox whenever we come in the house b/c he's seen mike get the mail. he drinks from his cup and then says "ahhhh..." b/c MIL taught him too and he thinks he's so funny...sounds like a lot of our babes have a GREAT sense of humor...he really knows how to get a laugh. he loves an audience. and whenever anyone claps at any event, he looks around and smiles as if to say, "ah, what did i do this time that please y'all so much?"

anyway...i've gone on too long, just mean to pop in and say

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
S2 does that too. "Say 'mama'" "DADA!" "Say 'dada'" "MAMA!" : She's such a goober.

How do y'all handle tantrums at this age? If I know she's fed, changed, well rested, and has plenty to drink, should I just ignore it? I know that trying to get her to calm down is just gonna get my blood pressure up. So what's best, most gentle, safest for her? She doesn't flail around yet, or start destroying things, but she just lays there arching her back and whining like crazy, wailing, screaming, and if I try and hold her she punches and smacks me and screams like she's being tortured.

So, what are your opinions?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
she just lays there arching her back and whining like crazy, wailing, screaming, .

So, what are your opinions?
E is doing this too. He gets so mad sometimes. (Like if I take him away from trying to crawl in a cupboard for instance) I just try to talk to him (which obviously is hard at this stage considering his age---which btw he is 11m today! and let him get over it. It doesn't even last a minute in most cases.

He also has this thing if I try to pick him up he raises his arms so I can't hold onto him (in an attempt to redirect him). It's actually pretty funny.

User Tag List