For any parent out there with a colicky, or easily awakened baby..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-16-2003, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to share with you all a little bit of advice I got after having my first. After my first son was born, the dreaded-no-one-knows-really-what-causes-it colic began when he was about 2 months old. I really thought I was going to lose my mind...he would start crying at about 10 pm and cry for hours. My feelings ran the gamut from anger, to despair, to "I must be a bad mom" to delirium to hopelessness to anger to 'I'm never having another child again". The only thing that would quiet him temporarily was strapping him in his carrier, putting him in the car, and driving around aimlessly for hours...not my idea of fun at midnight or one in the morning....

My cousin learned about my problem through my mom and within a few days she mailed me a CD that CHANGED MY LIFE AND KEPT MY SON FROM CRYING....

It is called "For crying out loud." I STILL USE IT TO THIS DAY AND HE'S THREE.
It has about 1 dozen recordings of what's called "white noise". White noise is such things as the sound of rain falling, people talking in a restaurant, windshield wipers, etc.
It has been proven to calm colicky babies and relax even calm babies. Did you ever not see a sleeping peaceful baby in their carrier in your local restaurant? I am eternally thankful for that CD and I urge any of you who have thought you've tried it all, to buy this CD.
I play it all night (just buy a CD player that has a "repeat all" button and your player will play it continuosly all night). Adjust the volume as you see fit.
I already have a "new" copy ready for my next one to be born in September just in case!
#2 of 11 Old 06-16-2003, 09:11 PM

this post looks like Spam in Disguise to me.

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!
#3 of 11 Old 06-17-2003, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

I am really confused by your post...I don't understand what you are implying. As a matter of fact, it is pretty hurtful Lynn.
#4 of 11 Old 06-17-2003, 01:12 AM

There's really nothing to be confused about...sorry that you are and I'm sorry that you think I was out to hurt you. It wasn't my intention at all. I think it seems that the way you worded your post was like a ad...something off the back of a box. Stuff like..."CHANGED MY LIFE...I STILL USE IT TO THIS DAY...It has been proven to calm colicky babies and relax even calm babies. Did you ever not see a sleeping peaceful baby in their carrier in your local restaurant?"

I'm SO not out to "get you."
Please take no offense.
As far as your recommendation goes, I'm glad it's worked for you with your son. Hopefully your next baby won't be "colicky" and you won't even need it though!
-Lynn

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!
#5 of 11 Old 06-17-2003, 01:32 AM

I think it's a great idea. It's nice to know there is a "pre-recorded" CD that one can buy if so inclined, rather than trying to record your own or run a fan/dryer/etc at all hours in hopes of calming a baby. I think I've heard of it, too.... the title is familiar. I don't have my own little one yet, but I've nannied, and yes white noise with a little cuddling does wonders. Kenny G has worked for babies in my care too, something about the sound of the soprano sax (but then I'm biased, my dh is a classical saxophonist). Thanks for sharing!
#6 of 11 Old 06-17-2003, 08:44 AM

Thanks so much for this suggestion--I was actually wondering if there were such a thing. We recently discovered that our ds is more responsive to sound than we realized in helping him get to sleep. We don't have a baby with colic or reflux, but our baby was very sensitive from birth. Happily, life was made much easier during the newborn period largely thanks to many of the great ideas and advice I got off of these boards. Please don't be discouraged from sharing your enthusiasm
#7 of 11 Old 06-17-2003, 09:35 AM

Yep -- we use this for white noise:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...776091-9619847

It is a big help!
#8 of 11 Old 06-17-2003, 11:16 AM

We made a tape of our vacuum. And we're giving a copy to a friend who is expecting.

Oh, I also tune the car radio to static and crank it up when she is fussing and I am driving and can't help her.
#9 of 11 Old 06-17-2003, 06:43 PM

I had to laugh out loud after I read this thread because it is so obvious that one mother has a child with unexplained crying (I hate the word colic, even doctors don't agree on what it means) and another mother who probably hasn't had a child with it!

My best friend broke two vacuum cleaners on her first son. He was very high needs. Finally we found a machine that makes white noise. They weren't cheap seven years ago, and I guess they are for therapist's offices, places where conversations are confidential. Sharper Image catalog and Brookstone usually have them.

But, if you have a baby that cries for hours, whatever cures it (white noise, vibrating chair, homeopathic drops, lavender oil, etc.) it will make you a convert. I myself put in many, many hours doing the mommy dance before I ever had children so that my friend could get out of her house for a while. It can be very hard to parent a high needs child. That CD is a great idea. We always tuned the TV or radio to static when we were between vacuum cleaners!
#10 of 11 Old 06-18-2003, 02:37 AM

I wish I had known about this when I had my DS, he was extremely colicky for over 6 months! I hope that this helps someone out, and I'll keep it in mind in case I have another colicky baby. LOL
#11 of 11 Old 06-19-2003, 01:36 AM

i have a white noise machine, too... just the 'target' homedics cheapie, we like 'spring rain' to sleep by.

lol, it is for me- the easily wakened baby sleeping with me, i have had more success with the little barley hull pillow i got at linens n things (i put it between us, and it's small enough to curl around and nurse, but keeps him from rolling into me all night- we get no sleep at all if i forget- if he touches me with any limb in the night, it's an automatic 2 hour suck-a-thon, and woe is us if i shift positions! this is much better- he wakes when hungry, drifts off, and we both get some sleep!

but i do love my white noise- it goes on vacation w/ me, for sure.

suse

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page