The joy of my FIL (rant) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-17-2003, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Warning: rant ahead.

My SO's parents are nuts, most of the time. His mother has really bad undiagnosed ADHD and his father has some depression issues and issues from his childhood he still carries around with him now that he's retired.

A little after 2 months, my MIL brought over rice cereal because we'd be needing it "soon enough". My SO chewed her out a few weeks later telling her that Gavin wouldn't be getting anything until 6 months at least, end of discussion. A month or so later, his dad threw in some comment about how what we're doing is "okay" because "the book" even says 4-6 months for solids. (The book in question is the worst POS book I've ever read, another "find" of theirs at a yard sale or something - a 1990 edition of some pathetic university research facility)

Sunday, we went out for dinner. Gavin is going through the grabbies - hair, noses, ears, shirts, etc. He was sitting on MIL's lap while I ate and was grabbing for FIL's arm hair. FIL decided he was grabbing for his food and tells me "he's hungry, he wants real food". I kind of ignored the comment and gave a laugh or something equally brush off-ish. Later, I was holding Gavin and he managed to lunge into my plate and got a handful of rice and some other stuff including mussles (sp?)- very much NOT food for infants even if they are eating solids. I was wiping it all off his hand and the FIL says something about me just letting him lick it off his hand. (Sure, by that logic, I'll just let him eat my hair, since he so OBVIOUSLY wants to eat it)

On the 2nd Gavin will be 6 months and I'm afraid this BS is just going to keep up. Unfortunately, we don't have the money to move or I think we'd be out of here in a nano second so we didn't feel obligated every other week to go see his parents where they all fight like cats and dogs. :

Edited because I can't spell to save my life.
#2 of 3 Old 06-17-2003, 11:10 PM

Sorry things aren't going well with your in-laws. Your FIL sounds pretty passive-aggressive. You might want to think of responses if you're not planning on starting solids at 6 months, especially since "the book" says you should.
#3 of 3 Old 06-18-2003, 03:17 AM

And if the baby reached for FIL's beer can or cigarette, does that mean the kid wants to get drunk or smoke? Silly people. I'm glad your SO is on the same page as you! That must help a lot. =) Be strong, you know what's best. =)

~Melissa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page