Sling wearers- help, please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-17-2003, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking to design our own sling.

Here's the story:
We will be taking Maggie on vacation with us in a couple weeks. (She will be two months old.)

She absolutely loves being in her sling, but I can't stand the design of the one we have. (It was a gift from a friend.) It is a Snugli Grow-With-Me, and while she seems quite content in it and is very safe, it hurts me and is very hot for her. Since she already has heat rash from refusing to sleep anywhere but on us, I need a different one for the beach.

So, I am going to make my own. I have found lots of helpful websites about sewing your own. (Although if you have a favorite site, I would love to take a look.)

What I am hoping you all can do for me is tell me what you like best and least about slings you have used. That way, I can pick and choose the best aspects and leave out the worst, and hopefully come up with something that works for us.

So, what do you like? What don't you like?
material
metal versus nylon rings
padded or not
pockets
long tail
etc.

Please take a second to me out. Thanks SO much!

#2 of 7 Old 06-17-2003, 10:52 PM

material-cotton
metal versus nylon rings-nylon
padded or not-for that young I did not like padding, for older I did like partial padding under her butt when she sat on my hip. A little shoulder padding is nice, mine is overly padded and too bulky.
pockets-Gotta love them!
long tail-can be nice if you like to cover up while nursing, I always felt it got in the way
etc.-good luck!

BTW-congrats on your wee one!

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#3 of 7 Old 06-17-2003, 11:06 PM

I second everything the previous poster said; however, if you're going to the beach or somewhere with a pool, you might also want to consider making one of a mesh material - you could take her right in the water with you, and it would be very cool.
#4 of 7 Old 06-18-2003, 01:56 AM

i made a pouch using these directions http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html

it was so easy to sew and works great... although i didn't use it for such a wee one

my other advice is to make a rebozo out of muslin. it is perfect for making a rebozo because it comes 108 inches wide and then you only need 31 (that is with seam allowance) all you have to do is hem the edges and tie it on. i love my rebozo. it holds my 20 lb dd nice and tight so she feels light. and i have used it with her from newborn till now and it is great! and light weight. you basically tie it as a ring sling would go over one shoulder, but directions are on the kangaroo korner web site
#5 of 7 Old 06-18-2003, 03:58 AM

I personally like pouch slings - I find them so much easier than adjustable ones and very easy to sew. If you made it too long you just go back to the sewing machine and zip its an inch smaller

For breathable fabric with sunprotection you could get some Solarveil material - they sell it by the yard I believe www.solarveil.com - I have a sling made by KK out of this material. It's very breathable but not very soft. (I haven't tried washing it to see if that improves the feeling)

My daughter and myself are very very pale so I like having the added protection from the sun and in my wrap style adjustable sling I can throw the end over her head in the sun.

Happy Sewing!
#6 of 7 Old 06-18-2003, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions and ideas. I am going to try to make a prototype tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.

And flamingmomma, thanks for the solarveil info- looks like a good product and I'm going to see how long it will take to get here.

Thanks again.

Any more ideas certainly welcome!
#7 of 7 Old 06-18-2003, 11:46 AM

I agree with Bowen Therapist about the directions of Stacy's. I have made a couple of pouches with her directions that I really like. I made one out of a pillowcase from a jersey knit sheet set, which was sooooooooooo comfortable, but was too stretchy once the baby got more than 12 ish pounds. The one I mostly use now is made of plain old cheapy but pretty cotton from Jo-Ann fabric. You know, the whole wall of 3.99 stuff? I would like to have one made from something with a little stretch too it though. I had a sling from htttp://www.walkingrockfarm.com made of microfleece which was awesome. They also make summer slings from the polo-shirt type cotton which I would really like to try, if I could find a place to buy it. I have made a few modifications to Stacy's pattern, which I don't totally want to give away, since I have dreams of starting a WAHM sling business someday, but I would reccomend making the sling a bit wider than she suggests, and adding a seam, or at least a stitch at the top to keep it folded.

Her sling, btw, is almost identical to the Maya Pouch.

I'm assuming you have the directions to make a Maya Wrap type sling, if not http://www.baby-carriers.com/sewsing.shtml

One other site to check out is http://www.nandu.hu/English/Practical/babycarrier.htm

It has great directions for using a length of cloth to tie your baby to your body in a wide variety of positions. I haven't tried it, but I think this might work very well with a jersey knit, and would be super comfy.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page