Tips for camping with a babe - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-18-2003, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are planning our first camping trip with Jackson for later this month (he'll be 3 months old), and we're looking for some tips to help things go smoothly. It will only be for 2 nights, we cosleep, breastfeed, and cloth diaper (but might be using disposies for the weekend... something about a bag of dirty diapers fermenting in a hot tent for 2 days really turns my stomach ).

We have a little bouncy seat/tent thing that we'll bring in addition to the sling and some familiar sheets/blankets to ease his sleeping.

I'm going to buy some baby-friendly insect repellant, maybe the Burt's Bees stuff. But what about sunscreen? Is 3 months too young?

I'd love to hear some tricks and "forget-me-not" packing items from anyone who's camped with their baby!
#2 of 20 Old 06-18-2003, 04:00 AM

I don't have any advice, unfortunately...but I recognized you and thought I'd say howdy! Have a great time camping--I'm sure it will be wonderful.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#3 of 20 Old 06-18-2003, 12:26 PM

Hope you enjoy your camping trip! We are going on a trip w/ our DD when she will be about 3 months old to Brason. We are staying in a cabin, and I have alot of the same questions you do. I am planning on taking a few hats with us, and I was wondering about sunscreen and bug repellant, too. We will be watching a fireworks show on the Lake, so I'm sure the mosquitos will be out in full force. I am also taking along plenty of those crib pads. I cut them in half and put them under me and DD while we sleep/nurse so that the sheets don't get all wet :P Are you taking anything for babe to be in while swimming, like those baby intertube things? I need to look for something. DD loves the water.
#4 of 20 Old 06-18-2003, 11:15 PM

you might want to check out the "sunscreen question" thread in this section.

Have a great trip!
#5 of 20 Old 06-20-2003, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Bump...

Anyone??
#6 of 20 Old 06-21-2003, 01:26 PM

Hey there Jackson's mama. I too am interested in this question. We are planning on going camping, but close to home so that we can come back if it bombs. What I plan on taking is...a cradle pad to put under her (and between us) to soften the ground. Blankets since it's still cool at night. Several changes of clothing. I am going to use sunscreen and bug stuff...baby non-toxic type stuff. A towel for if she gets wet. Otherwise, the booby factory (me) and diapers. I'm still debating whether to take sposies or try to do it with cloth. We're only going for one night so it seems like cloth would be possible. I haven't done it yet, so I'll let you know after next weekend how it went and if there were more stuff that we needed, but didn't have. Hope others have some ideas too.
#7 of 20 Old 06-21-2003, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

babybugmama, we're going next weekend too . It looks like we'll have some reports to share.
#8 of 20 Old 06-21-2003, 06:39 PM

some dr's say sunscreen is fine before 6 mths, others say no. i would try to keep him covered but use lil bits of it too. they have hats with flaps on the back hat are great -- one step ahead has them i know.

w/ regard to sposies -- if you think about camping grunginess, coupled with constant summer sweating & nighttime/morning clamminess, then add plastic dips...might be a recipe for a rash. i use a dipe pail that i bought with kitty litter in it. ya know the big 5 gallon pails? they sell similar things at lowes/home depot, i know. you could take a couple of these & use them w/o a liner. it should keep the stink down - especially if you use a new one every day. you could probably secure it closed easily enough & leave it outside the tent, too!

sounds like you have it down, though! bouncy seat & sheets are great! good luck & have fun.
#9 of 20 Old 06-23-2003, 11:10 AM

We will definitely have to share reports...although the weather here is not looking as positive...so we may or may not have anything to share... I've been wanting to go camping for sooo long. It's just been such a cool spring, I thought it was too cool at night for dd.
#10 of 20 Old 06-25-2003, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

We bought a big beach umbrella today, hopefully that will keep us out of the sun. I'd rather not use sunscreen if I don't have to.

cinnamonamon, I hadn't thought about rash... you have an excellent point there. Especially since he hasn't had a 'sposie on for weeks.

babybugmama, I hope it warms up for you!
#11 of 20 Old 06-26-2003, 08:53 PM

my dd is almost 9 mo, but we just took her on her first camping trip. It really went well, she loved it! I think there are some essentials that we had, especially a backpack. She took almost all her naps in the pack on hikes, so that was great. we did buy a blow up mattress for dd and I to sleep on.... other than that, nothing especially for her. We too used disposable diapers and I used canned baby food, but that doesn't probably apply to you either. Both of these really just because I'm too lazy to deal with the added work!

We all had a wonderful time, I was very nervous about it, but it was so smooth, it was scary!

Good luck with it all

I have some pictures of the trip at www.picturetrail.com/meagen if you want to see...
#12 of 20 Old 06-28-2003, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we wussed out. It was going to be nearly 100 degrees at the campground, and that didn't sound like a good situation to begin Jackson's camping experiences. Hopefully we'll be able to get it together again in a few weeks.

This also gives up more time for those seasoned baby-campers like Meagen to stop by and give us the benefit of their knowledge and experience!

Meagen, I loved the pics!! Your dd is so cute, and such a trooper. The "smile" and the "blueberries" pics are priceless .
#13 of 20 Old 06-29-2003, 06:20 AM

jackson's mama,

It was HOT this week wasn't it? I'm glad it cooled down, my DS is really snuggly and I was just dripping sweat until yesterday.

Where are you at in the Bay area, and where are you going camping? Ozaiis is 6 weeks old, we want to take him camping soon. We've been up to I think Chabot once, but it's full of eucalyptus trees and DH is really allergic to them.

We have a great book about camping in CA, but haven't really gone anywhere local (that we learned about in the book) yet.. we've mostly gone up north to mendocino county and nearby.
#14 of 20 Old 06-29-2003, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hi bloodrayne! We're in Concord, and yes it was super toasty!! I'm glad it cooled down too. We had planned to camp at a place called Caswell State Park, by Manteca. Never been there before, but the Stanislaus River runs through it and they still had openings when we reserved the spot last month. Boy, we found out the hard way that you have to plan summer camping early in the year around here!

Our favorite spots to camp are near Santa Cruz. New Brighton State Park is great, near Capitola and the beach, but closed for renovations. Big Basin and Henry Coe State Park are also nice. I've never camped up north, I'll bet there are some beautiful places up there.

Where are you in the Bay Area?
#15 of 20 Old 06-29-2003, 11:19 PM

oh! I meant to say, but I forgot. We are in south Hayward, just shy of Union City.

We usually camp up north to escape the heat. I've never camped anywhere near Santa Cruz or Manteca.

There's a really great book called California Camping by Tom Stienstra, which we use to find campsites. He actually personally goes to these campsites and rates them on different qualities and tells what they are like. It also tells what things are nearby, like hiking, fishing, biking, etc.. and tells whether the campsite allows pets, has a playground, wheelchair access, and RV and/or tent sites (we tent camp). There is also a "5%" marking for the campsites that 95% of people have not heard of.. so they're more private and quieter, less people there.

It's a great book, I definitely recommend it.
#16 of 20 Old 06-30-2003, 09:17 AM

we tried...but it failed miserably. Dd got hot, even though it was only low 80's...still too warm for her I guess. Also she could not fall asleep...she was so excited by her surroundings that she just couldn't wind down. So, I brought her home. She fell asleep at 5:30pm, I tried to wake her up at 6:30 and succeeded insomuch as she was able to eat. However, she zonked back out, when I tried to wake her up...tickling her and whatnot, she actually giggled in her sleep! She slept the rest of the night (almost...woke up at 3:30am). Oh well. Maybe in the fall when it's a little cooler. I think we're going to try setting the tent up in the yard and seeing if we can get her acclimated to it that way.
#17 of 20 Old 06-30-2003, 03:31 PM

What do you all know about insect repellant and babies (7 months)?
#18 of 20 Old 07-01-2003, 01:00 AM

doloresbushnell-
I use California Baby with citronela, but basil works too. I saw a thread all about bug repellants a few days ago, so maybe that would help you too.
#19 of 20 Old 07-01-2003, 04:10 PM

We slept in a tent with dd about a month ago when she was 6 months old and the only problem we had was my hips... We have a two person tent, and I had to sleep on my side the whole night just so the three of us could fit - and I was rather sore in the morning!! Sage & Daddy slept just fine...

So I highly recomend a 3 person tent!!
#20 of 20 Old 07-01-2003, 08:02 PM

We've been camping a few times with DS so far in his life, the last one just last weekend! But his first trip was at 1 month old, for an extended family camping/rafting trip. We camped near Flaming Gorge Dam and sent 2-3 rafting groups down the 7-mile stretch of river per day. We planned on tenting that one, but MIL offered to let us sleep on her extra bed in her trailer. I was thankful for that option, since it got a bit cold at night. Even though we cosleep, I was still concerned about it. We use 'sposies anyway, so that wasn't an issue for us. But I did worry about the sunscreen and bugspray issues too. We got a net to put over the stroller when we went for walks around the campground. The rest of the time he was either in the sling or in a trailer held by someone. So he wasn't affected by the bugs too much. If I remember right, I don't think the bugs were too bad anyway since I didn't even worry about bugspray for myself. It was a little overcast much of the weekend, so I don't think anyone got sunburned either. I used a little when I went rafting, but just kept DS covered as much as possible. He didn't get burned.

The next time we went he was 3 months old and it was way up in the mountains. It was a little chilly and windy, but a high enough elevation that we did end up getting sunburned that time. It was seriously cold in the shade, so I remember moving our chairs several times a day to stay in the sun. But again I was not at all comfortable with sunscreen, so I just kept DS in the sling and covered with a blanket. It was cool enough that I didn't worry at all about him getting overheated. I did notice the first night that he seemed a little red-cheeked and my own cheeks started feeling that tight sunburned feeling. So I was mama-bear the next 2 days about him not getting in the sun at all. Unfortunately we were all pretty red-faced by the time we got home. By the next day he didn't look burned anymore, though. I just hoped that the natural olive pigment in his skin helped protect him. We didn't worry about bugs that trip either -- they just didn't seem to be an issue.

Last weekend was the first time we went just by ourselves, and DS is now almost 14 months old. It was really fun, but I was definitely more concerned about bugs this time around. We didn't find anything we were comfortable using on him or his clothes (I'll have to check out the suggestions on the other thread though! ) so we just got one of those citronella candles. That seemed to help somewhat, but he still got a few little bites. Most of them I caught "in action" and was able to shoo the skeeters away before they were through. He probably only got about 4-5 total, so it wasn't too bad. He got about as many as I did, I guess, hehe. And for sunscreen this time we still didn't use anything. I did bring some PABA free stuff, but didn't have to use it. We just stayed in the shade most of the time.

I'll have to check out the threads about natural sunscreen and bug repellant, but for the most part we've done okay with just staying in the shade so far. HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page