stomach sleeping--anyone do it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your not alone. I had 3 tummy sleepers. IF I wanted them to sleep more than 1 hr they would have to be on their tummy. All 3 my boys were strong healthy boys no smokers in the house ( 2 of mine had reflux also)

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2007, 01:17 PM

I was talking to my friend about this yesterday, and she said she read a study (of course I can't remember where), in which they hypothesized that SIDS is related to a lack of REM sleep....BECAUSE babies are sleeping on their backs.

Interesting angle, for sure, and one that I'll be eager to hear the result of.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
Sids is so rare though. The chances of a baby that's back sleeping dying of sids is .8 out of 1000. For a tummy sleeper it only goes up to 1.7 out of 1000. So yes the chances double, but the chances are so small. For me I would rather us get a good night sleep, than wory about something that isn't going to happen.
not to mention that for generations, parents were told to put their babies on their bellies. My babe is belly sleeper. She's much happier and sleeps much better.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I let dd sleep on her tummy. I think other factors are more important for sids.

She never slept alone in a room. I was in the room with her when she napped, and she slept next to me at night.

No smokers in the house.

No vaccines.

-Angela
me too!
Old 05-20-2007, 02:15 PM

My babies have been/are tummy sleepers.... I guess I have never spent a lot of time really worrying about SIDS.

I think SIDS is often linked to other issues; vaccinations, chemicals, smoking, being left alone in a room, death caused by a parent , etc.

Sometimes I think SIDS may be more of a problem when little babies are often sleeping alone, in a crib, away from where mom can hear them.

I listen for my kids and I respond to them; I believe that's the best way I can keep them safe.

And I am a little sad to say that I have learned to lie about the issue when necessary. I think that's too bad, but I am learning to pick my battles- and not second guess myself.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:23 PM

yes

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 05-20-2007, 03:40 PM

My daughter is a week old now and has been sleeping every night on her tummy on my chest. She's doing like three or four hours stretches (I'm not really watching the clock). My DD1 NEVER slept that well or that long. I'm not comfy putting her down like that yet just because she's so tiny and my bed does nOT feel like a safe place what with DD1 on one side and my husbands huge pile of blankets on the other (it's amazing he's not dead of SIDS) but if it were just her and me in the bed together I think I'd be comfy. My mattress is OLD, like more than 10 years, and I'm sure it's stopped off-gassing. We were considering getting a new mattress but I won't do it until she's older and if I do it will be topped with a wool mattress pad.

ILANA
Old 05-20-2007, 06:02 PM

no we don't let our babies sleep on their stomachs .... human babies are creatures of habit and get used to what they do, they can sleep well on their backs, my babies do

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:10 PM

I have taken to putting our little guy down for naps on his tummy (he does fine at night on his back, but he can't seem to nap on his back), he startles alot when he is on his back for naps and wakes up really easily. I did the same thing with my 2 1/2 year old when he was a baby too, I think because we have so much noise in the house... I don't know. But they did nap better.
Not sure that helps at all.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 05-20-2007, 07:24 PM

we're tummy sleepers too.

hh2.gif

Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
Sids is so rare though. The chances of a baby that's back sleeping dying of sids is .8 out of 1000. For a tummy sleeper it only goes up to 1.7 out of 1000. So yes the chances double, but the chances are so small. For me I would rather us get a good night sleep, than wory about something that isn't going to happen.
That's a pretty hard thing to say as SIDS DOES happen to people. People's babies die and they miss them for the rest of their lives. While SIDS is very rare, we need to remember that some people reading this post may have experienced the death of a baby due to SIDS or other rare things.

That said, I do let my baby tummy sleep during naps. I think as parents that we need to consciously choose the risks we expose our children to. I drive with my baby (buckled in his car seat, of course), a much riskier thing than tummy sleeping. So I know that tummy sleeping increases his risks of dying of SIDS but I do it because the benefit of his good naps outweighs that risk in my mind.

At the same time, I have not vaccinated him yet becuase that benefit doesn't outweigh the risk yet in my mind. But when I have to go back to work and he's in day care, I will have him vaccinated.

Lastly, I want to point out that the Back to Sleep campaign has done some wonderous things for reducing the rate of SIDS. But why, why, why do we not promote co-sleeping??? The party line in the US is back to sleep and no peditrician makes co-sleeping seem as important. Yet co-sleeping SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the risk of SIDS. We've got a lot to learn.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:01 PM

There is new research coming out of New Zealand linking SIDS to toxic fumes in mattresses and that when mattresses are wrapped properly, SIDS is basically unheard of. A google search should get you some info, but here is one article I found

Mattress Wrapping

My mattress is wrapped, as is the co-sleeper mattress (baby sleeps both places) with a bebesafe cover and I have no problem putting my baby down on his tummy to sleep - although of course it is still your choice. And of course, this is a non-smoking house, DS is not vaxed (yet), and he always sleeps with me nearby.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:05 PM

All my kids tummy slept... they screamed and flailed like bugs on their backs when face up or on their side. It got to the point where I realized the sleep deprivation and stress was putting us all in more danger than the statistical SIDS risk. Holding them didn't help. I think they needed to feel the pressure of being tummy down, to relax.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:08 PM

It depends on the child. I didn't let my first son sleep on his tummy because of the back to sleep campaign. I didn't sleep, nor did he until he learned to roll over by himself to his tummy.

My daughter slept on her tummy from the start. I put her in cotton pj's, kept the bed next to ours bare and she slept great. I did put a fan next to her to kind of blow near her face. She was never comfortable cosleeping.

My third child could not sleep on his tummy because the few times I tried him that way, he kept his face in the mattress. So, he's still (22 mo old) a back sleeper.

I've heard good things about the Amby Hammock. It might be worth a try if you do not want to put your baby on her tummy.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 05-21-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
no we don't let our babies sleep on their stomachs .... human babies are creatures of habit and get used to what they do, they can sleep well on their backs, my babies do
Just because your babies do does NOT mean that all babies can "learn" to sleep on their backs. My son would not sleep for more than 10 mintues on his back. As someone else mentioned, sleep-deprivation was a greater danger for BOTH of us than any increased risk of SIDS.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Just because your babies do does NOT mean that all babies can "learn" to sleep on their backs. My son would not sleep for more than 10 mintues on his back.
:

It used to be impossible for my son to get a nap during the day unless I was holding him as he woke up immediatly if layed down on his back. I finally started laying him on his tummy and low and behold, I can actually put him down to sleep now!! The bliss!! At night he can now sleep beside me on his tummy - and as a result he now sleeps 4-6+hour stretches every single night!! That to me is well worth any tiny added bit of risk for SIDS!!

User Tag List