Eye infection in 3 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-18-2007, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 month old has what seems like an eye infection.. watery eyes, a little discharge, slightly swollen left eye.. what could it be, is it serious? what should I do? I've been putting some breastmilk on his eye. I also have a tube of erythromycin ointment from when he was 1 month old when he had a clogged tear duct. Should I use that instead?
#2 of 10 Old 05-18-2007, 01:13 AM

I'm not familiar with that medication, but I'd be hesitant to medicate him without really knowing what it is.

I'd continue with the breastmilk in his eyes though. That can heal a lot.
#3 of 10 Old 05-18-2007, 01:17 AM

have you tried the clear the tear duct massage? Gently, very very gently take a soft wash cloth that is dipped in warm water and gently rub from about the end of his nose upward to the tear duct and wipe across the eye away from the duct. Each time you do this make sure you use a clean cloth.
#4 of 10 Old 05-18-2007, 09:36 AM

If it is pink eye it will go away after a week whether you treat it or not. I'd keep what you are doing and make sure you wash your hands often so you don't get it.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#5 of 10 Old 05-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Sounds like my ds. He got conjunctivitis. Breastmilk cleared it right up. Put some in baby's eyes (both) every 2 hours or so. until it clears up.
#6 of 10 Old 05-18-2007, 11:57 AM

dd had a clogged tear duct and or/a little eye infection for the first 4 months of her life. it drove me crazy and i was worried sick for a while but you have to massage it ALOT (downwards) and do some hot compresses. the breastmilk always works wonders and if i see anything starting to flare up in her eye again, i use a little bm on it and it's gone in the morning. also, give dc some diluted echinacea and dose yourself with that and anything else that will improve immune function.
#7 of 10 Old 05-18-2007, 01:23 PM

I read somewhere that infants who had erythromycin administered after birth are more likely to get conjunctivitis or clogged tear ducts. I wish I had the link!
At any rate, it sounds like a clogged tear duct....but I don't know. Try putting breastmilk in the eye and see if that helps. If not, take your babe to the Dr. and have it looked at.
#8 of 10 Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
I read somewhere that infants who had erythromycin administered after birth are more likely to get conjunctivitis or clogged tear ducts. I wish I had the link!
At any rate, it sounds like a clogged tear duct....but I don't know. Try putting breastmilk in the eye and see if that helps. If not, take your babe to the Dr. and have it looked at.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. We declined that with our CNM.
#9 of 10 Old 05-19-2007, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I tried to decline the eye drops but my OB convinced me out of it and said since I was GBS+ it would be better to be on the safe side and administer it. Argh.. I'm mad at a couple aspects of my hospital birth.. I want to birth at home next time.. anyway I'm going to keep putting drops of BM in his eyes and warm compresses a couple times a day. Poor DS..
#10 of 10 Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 AM

I'd also continue with the breastmilk treatment.... Hope he feels better soon.

namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page