Any other May '07 mama's lurking here? - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#271 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!!

I haven't had a chance to pop in much since our little one arrived, but I wanted to say hi to you all and see how you and your little ones are doing.
Any updates or pics? Maybe I need to start at the beginning of this thread??
#272 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 PM

another quick check-in to say hi we moved the same week Claire was born, and I just today *finally* got my own internet again. so my world is still in boxes, and my ex took my older two for vacation just this afternoon. They will be gone two weeks, and, well, i was already emotional to start with Claire sleeps really good at night, but of course that means she's leeched onto my chest for most of the waking hours I am getting better at using my ring sling, hopefully i can get her set up so she can nurse hands-free in there, and i can actually hang out with my other two kids and DP occasionally I am healing pretty good, *ahem* missing DP a lot, but i am too nervous to do anything at least until my bleeding stops completely. and I am a bleeder :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#273 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 05:52 PM

About leaving them in the car. I homeschool my oldest, so when he's out with me, I will usually leave my youngest with him in the car while I pay for gas. And I will only go to a gas station that is not busy at all and that i can park right in front of the day. If my babe is crying already, I see this as a great time to get her out of the seat and I will go to a busy gas station so that I can keep her out of the seat longer so she will have a lil break from it. All this is always very calculated. But I think it has to be, they are my babies.

Anyway, my 2.5 year old is having a semi-hard time adjusting. He is taking every opportunity to test me. Like, will I get up even tho I am nursing the baby to actually stop him from getting things from the fridge or will I just keep saying Sage come here. Or how much did I really mean for him to stop hitting his oldest brother for NO reason; enough to GET UP and stop him. He'll just look at me as I'm telling him to stop and DO it again. Just to test. He listens to DH with ZERO problem. With no hesitation. It's very frustrating for me. I mean, I am the one who really needs him to listen, right. It would sure make my life easier.:

Ok, I'm done.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#274 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
I am lucky in that almost every gas station in my area has pay-at-the-pump so I don't have to leave my car to pay. I'll tell you, pay-at-the-pump, drive-through bank tellers, and drive-through espresso stands are a huge lifesaver right now! If not for those things, DH would be taking my car out to go fill it with gas, I'm not kidding.
Don't forget drive-through pharmacies!!

Even though I have taken them to the grocery store all at once, it's not something I plan to do on a regular basis. I'm a big fan of DH doing stuff on the way home (though he's usually not home until after 8 or 9 pm, thus the reason I end up taking them all out more than I'd like to) or waiting until he gets home and going by myself (well, with the baby now) or running errands before he goes to work in the morning. Right now I really want to go the hardware store, but that's different than the grocery store (carts at the hardware store suck), and so it's been about 3 days and I haven't gone yet. And now it's really a moot point because the thing I need requires DH's help to fix (stacking the bunkbeds) and he's out of town until Sunday night.

DH makes me laugh because he keeps suggesting that I take them all to the YMCA pool by myself. :
#275 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post

DH makes me laugh because he keeps suggesting that I take them all to the YMCA pool by myself. :
I did do that with my kids when my 2.5 year old was a newborn. I think in a way, it's almost like I seek out stressful situations. Because boy was it stressful. I just thought the kids would like it. So off we went.

I made the HUGE mistake of taking them to the game store the other day. ALL 4 of them. No carts. No helper.(ie DH) My 2.5 year old kept running all over the store showing me all the games he recognized and the games that go with his favorite movies. And moving things around the store that he was looking at. And the older 2 were trying to figure out which games to trade and how much credit they would have. Blah blah blah. And my sweet babe slept in my arms the whole time. THEN we went to target. But that was ok. A buggy for my toddler. And the funny thing is, that he would NEVER sit in a buggy before I had the baby. Now he sits in it with no problem. Never stands in it. He is so good. Thank goodness.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#276 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 PM

:

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#277 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
I am getting work done, but it is slow going. I have actually decided today to start pumping milk so I can leave for blocks of time to write at a coffeeshop- my brain has a hard time functioning when she is anywhere near, and I feel like I can get so much more done in a few hours away from her than in like a few days with her at my side. But it's hard I don't want to leave her, and I didn't want her to ever know the bottle, but something's got to give if I am gonna finish this summer. DH is totally supportive of the plan, so basically most days I will go out for a few hours when he comes home from work and he'll be "Mommy"... I am getting stuff during the days, but like I said, it's slooowwww going. And when I am feeding her or rocking her, it's easier to be here on MDC or watching a DVD or something than coming up with profound sentences, kwim? Thanks for asking, I needed to get that out I guess- whew!
I think that's totally justfiable... I was so sure I wasn't going to use bottles or pacifiers, too, but last night I gave in and tried giving raven a pacifier because she was having yet another unconsolable screaming fit, i felt really, really bad about it and really relieved (in a way) when she spit it out... also, my mom is steadily trying to convince me to eventually give in to pumping so that once in a while someone else can feed her so i can get a longer sleep or break away from her because i'm really getting stressed out--in fact my mom had to fly all the way back from Ontario after just going home last week cause I'm so overwhelmed. I had no idea a newborn baby was so much work; and Raven is a really needy baby so it's even more difficult. Short story long, I am actually seriously considering the bottle thing (or maybe sippy cup thing) for down the road when my "ideal" was to NEVER use one.. hrmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post

Crying out out of nowhere when asleep is a classic "gotta pee" signal. For those of you who want to dip your toe into ECing.

Amy - you're vegan so I can't tell ya it's dairy, but those symptoms (spitting up and gas - that's what the leg writhing most likely is) scream food sensitivity to me. My first guess would be soy. Babies don't need to spit up. Although it's common I wouldn't say it's normal. Henry spits up when I eat dairy. He also gets gas from it. I have gripe water ordered (baby bliss brand) and am going to pick up some mylicon (gas) drops today becuase I know myself and know I won't stay 100% dairy free so I might as well have some things to try to make Henry more comfortable when I break down.
I was also wondering about Soy. I don't usually eat very much, so at first I thought, "Can't be..." but I just realized the veggie burgers that have become somewhat of a staple around here since I don't have a lot of time to cook, are soy-based. I am gonna try not eating any, I'll just have a veggie sandwich instead or something... see what happens. My nurse aunt recommended this stuff called Ovol for gas, so we're also gonna give that a try.

That said, the past couple nights I'm a bit concerned that her problem is that my milk supply dwindles bigtime in the middle of the night and she isn't getting enough to eat. She trys to feed for over an hour, but after 15 mins. or so there's just hardly anything left (I think?) so she pulls away and starts crying. I mean but the same signs might just mean she has a tummy ache so she's pulling away..? I dunno..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Are any of your DH's or DP's being very insensitive to your lack of housecleaning abilities lately?
My problem is similar but not the same. DP doesn't give a crap about the house cleaning, so he won't help unless I really nag him (which I hate doing after he's been at work for 9 hours a day), so the house is a mess and it really irritates me, I can't stand it. Slowly learning to accept a bit of mess, but I'd love if he would just tidy up here and there without me having to ask... It's really hard to tidy up 1-handed with this baby on my boob at all times.
#278 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
That said, the past couple nights I'm a bit concerned that her problem is that my milk supply dwindles bigtime in the middle of the night and she isn't getting enough to eat. She trys to feed for over an hour, but after 15 mins. or so there's just hardly anything left (I think?) so she pulls away and starts crying. I mean but the same signs might just mean she has a tummy ache so she's pulling away..? I dunno..

Sometimes nursing laying down will slow the flow of milk to the babe. could it be the position your using?I have always had an oversupply with geysers for nipples. I nurse "uphill" laying down a lot. it helps the baby not so drowned.

Also are you sleeping on your stomach? that can hinder you milk flow some at least temporarily

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#279 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post
Sometimes nursing laying down will slow the flow of milk to the babe. could it be the position your using?I have always had an oversupply with geysers for nipples. I nurse "uphill" laying down a lot. it helps the baby not so drowned.

Also are you sleeping on your stomach? that can hinder you milk flow some at least temporarily

i've never thought of this! i have geysers, too, and ezra frequently coughs & sputters while nursing during the day but it's much less at night. so it's because i'm lying down? i always thought my supply was lower, too.

dd1 had projectile vomiting issues & i was convinced i was drowning her with my milk. she had major sucking needs & i do think she "overate," if that's even possible with a baby, and then she shot out what she didn't need. dd2 seemed to tolerate the flow pretty well but ezra scares me sometimes. i swear, he seriously chokes & doesn't breathe for a few seconds & then gasps for air. maybe i should stop drinking my mother's milk tea!?

stephanie asl.gif

#280 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:

That said, the past couple nights I'm a bit concerned that her problem is that my milk supply dwindles bigtime in the middle of the night and she isn't getting enough to eat. She trys to feed for over an hour, but after 15 mins. or so there's just hardly anything left (I think?) so she pulls away and starts crying. I mean but the same signs might just mean she has a tummy ache so she's pulling away..?
Your lucky your mom will fly back to help you out. My mom is 45 mins away and has come over twice since I've had him. One time she did help clean my kitchen, but the other time she didn't do anything but sit on my couch, and that was the day I had a plugged duct so I couldn't do anything but try to fight that all day. :

When Sebastian wakes up in the middle of the night pulling away and crying it is usually because he's got a wet (or poopy) diaper. That's the only thing I can think of... You can also try the elimination diet, although it's really hard on a vegan to cut out everything (exept milk, you've got that one covered)- soy, peanuts, wheat... what else? Spicy foods maybe?

------

What are you momma's making for dinner? My DH is over making dinner when he gets home from work now.. he was the first 2 weeks but now it's up to me. I made some vegan mac n cheese (from a box) with tempeh a couple nights ago. We've had plenty of speghetti lately. Tonight I am making baked potatoes (the easiest yet, wash potatoes, throw them in the oven!)... what else is super easy?

I didn't make frozen dinners beforehand, and I thought I would be getting more help from mom and MIL, but that turned out to be a joke. So.... gimme some ideas!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#281 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 PM

Amy, hang in there, it does get easier. I've found the last couple of days things have started to get a little bit easier, but we also have hit the one month mark, so that might have something to do with it. DD and I are just getting used to eah other! I did try the Ovol (simethicone drops) and didn't find it as effective as the gripe water. Might be different for your babe.

oh yeah, and we're starting to think that DD's gassiness is mainly from garlic, which I am sensitive too and eat anyways (and DH has been putting a lot in his cooking).

If you have any interest in hanging out with two other (first time) moms with same age babies we might be meeting for tea next Wednesday. Sometimes it helps just to be able to commiserate with others dealing with the same issues. We might all have solutions for each other's difficulties too.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#282 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 11:05 PM

I have a quick WWYD.

My neighbor across the street was due with her first a month after me. We didn't talk much, they just moved in less than a year ago.
Right before my May bug was born we ran into eachother and she said that she was wondering if I had the baby yet. I said "Don't worry I'll bring him by when he's born". He was born two days later and I didn't feel very social for a good two weeks.
When I started feeling social I happened to overhear her talk to my good friend neighbor. . ."I'm having a c-section. . .yeah she's 8lb 11oz". This was a week ago. I didn't much feel like going over there. I don't really care how she wants to birth, but I just don't have the energy to try to find out what kind of birth she wants and what her OB might be trying to push on her. What am I going to say when she asks me where I had him "Oh yeah" (as I point to the bathroom window of my house) " I had him right there. . . no we planned it that way"---without it coming out weird. So I kept putting off going there to talk.
I know she's interested in BF btw--from a previous convo.
Monday she went in to have her baby. She and the baby are back today (though she was back--alone--yesterday. Don't know what to make of that exactly).
sigh.
Anyway. I want to be supportive and stuff, but I'm pretty drained myself. We could be good support for eachother--living close & having babies close in age, being close in age ourselves. . .but I'm a misfit and awkward and stuff. I don't know. I'm scared of conflict too.
I like the bumpersticker on her car it's about animal rights. Sigh. (I had two bumperstickers on my car "it's your birth, know your options" & "Affordable healthcare begins with breastfeeding" and she said she read them and wanted to talk about BF sometime. We never did. I got the vibe then she wasn't interested in birth choices. This was when we were 5/6 mo along)
Now it's awkward because it's been so long since I had Mickey, and now I don't know how long to wait before invading her space. She's recovering from surgery for crying out loud. . .but likely she could also benefit from support and the knowledge I have. Sigh.
I plan on just being honest about my delay--I am anti-social after having a baby. If I express understanding with her possibly feeling anti-social too she might appreciate that.
I don't know what I'm looking for.
Any advice/insight would be appreciated.

Holy moley this got long. Sorry for that.

~laura
#283 of 663 Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 PM

Synchro- Maybe bring her a vegan dinner (you assumed because of the bumper sticker) and strike up a convo when you do. I'm sure she'd apprieate the dinner and it gives you an opening to chat...

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#284 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
i've never thought of this! i have geysers, too, and ezra frequently coughs & sputters while nursing during the day but it's much less at night. so it's because i'm lying down? i always thought my supply was lower, too.

dd1 had projectile vomiting issues & i was convinced i was drowning her with my milk. she had major sucking needs & i do think she "overate," if that's even possible with a baby, and then she shot out what she didn't need. dd2 seemed to tolerate the flow pretty well but ezra scares me sometimes. i swear, he seriously chokes & doesn't breathe for a few seconds & then gasps for air. maybe i should stop drinking my mother's milk tea!?
each kid will handle your let down differently. and with each child it can get worse. my saving grace this time is that I have a nursing toddler. but if one more person tells me to nurse the baby first or he wont get enough I will scream! really Is there any truth to that one? I figure my body will make what it needs to wont it?

as far as the anti-social feeling and visiting the neighbor. I would just tell her you would have come by sooner but you just werent up to it. after all having a baby is an adjustment. if she had a section things may be rough for her on the breastfeeding front and having another mom that gets it could really help

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

#285 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 12:21 AM

Laura, I would go by, but have an "out" planned so that you can leave when you think you are done with your visit if things get uncomfortable.

Kittn - I would think nursing your toddler first and then your babe would be better because then baby gets more hindmilk?? Not sure!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#286 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 12:55 AM

i nurse my 3.5 yo first (can i still call her a toddler? LOL) so the baby gets more hindmilk and have seen better poop in him since doing it that way. I'm also sticking to one side for 2-3 nursings so he gets more hindmilk that way too, and my supply is getting manageable I think from that and also from time - he's over five weeks now.

MSAX I would go to the concert with a phone for your friend to call you if the baby needs you. I left Henry at home with my mom today while I went to the grocery store with Delia and it was nice.

The gripe water came today and I gave Henry two doses. Not sure if it helped, but he had a great evening so I'll continue to use it and see! The most amazing thing was he started to wake up just as Delia and I were heading upstairs to nurse - my mom had him in a Kozy. Somehow my magical mother managed to keep him quiet the entire time Delia nursed!! She brought him upstairs right when Delia fell asleep and said "Oh, he's just starting to root around now." He wasn't even crying yet! She amazes me. I guess after raising four kids and being around my sister's kids she's really really really good at it!
#287 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 02:46 AM

I'm a little confused, as dh takes on so much work, then is unhappy when he can't do it all. Tonight he invited the ILs over to grill dinner, it was really late, then he calmed Kiran while I took Rowan to bed, dh didn't get to do something he wanted to do in the evening, and I just don't get why he thought it would happen, or was I supposed to do something different? Eat faster? Nurse them both to sleep at the same time? (in different beds?) He never complains about the house and stuff, just goes quiet and I'm supposed to figure out what he's unhappy about, and if it had anything to do with me or not. But how do people get 2 kids to bed? How is it done?

I'm so jealous of people who can go on trips, we have a home-based business and I guess we can never ever leave. Nearest movie theater is 20 mi away, I don't think I can leave Kiran for 3 hours for at least a couple months yet. Nearest venue for live music is about 2 hours away. Well, I guess I can console myself hiking at the national park, it's about 5 minutes. I'm gonna die if I don't get myself a sling really really really soon.
#288 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
I'm a little confused, as dh takes on so much work, then is unhappy when he can't do it all. Tonight he invited the ILs over to grill dinner, it was really late, then he calmed Kiran while I took Rowan to bed, dh didn't get to do something he wanted to do in the evening, and I just don't get why he thought it would happen, or was I supposed to do something different? Eat faster? Nurse them both to sleep at the same time? (in different beds?) He never complains about the house and stuff, just goes quiet and I'm supposed to figure out what he's unhappy about, and if it had anything to do with me or not. But how do people get 2 kids to bed? How is it done?
I sound a bit like your dh :
It's hard for me to accept when I can't get something done because of parenting responsibilities. I know it's temporary. I know that I *will* get towhatever it is I want done, but it's still really frustrating.
Maybe acknowledging how frustrating it is to put down his projects because of the kids would help him not get into that quiet frustrated funk. I know acknoledgement is all *I* need a lot of the times.

~laura
#289 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 AM

Amy-
Hang in there, it really does get easier. I know you are probably tired of people saying that but it does. I think going from no kids to one is harder than from 1 to 2 your whole life changes it is a tough adjustment.

My older daughter is sensitive to dairy and when i was cutting that out I switched over to soy milk and found she was just as sensitive to soy. Once I cut out both dairy and soy she was a much happier less troubled little person. Cutting soy would probably be pretty difficult for a vegan but i recommend trying it sooner rather than later because it can mean a drastic difference. It took 24-48 hours for me to see a difference in Maya by the time I had been dairy/soy free for a week she was a different baby. no more twisting her tummy, no more arching and screaming and she nursed a little less. It is my thought that she was nursing for comfort but the milk with the dairy proteins ended up making it worse so she would nurse again and it was a terrible cycle.

Don't feel bad about needing help. It is only in recent times that women were expected to raise the children alone, we are pack animals and the work is supposed to be shard amongst the group. It can feel overwhelming and daunting to have to care for the baby and home by yourself. Perhaps talking to your dh on the weekend about needing some help tidying up would go over better than if you did it after he got back from work.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#290 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 PM

it's making me crazy. nate spits up all the time and i cant figure out what it is. im going to go on the sears elimination diet and hopefully its nothing as drastic as garlic(i cant live without it but I will) I can deal with dairy/soy since I know how to avoid those. Im not convinced it's dairy/ soy since his only issue seems to be spitting up and mild fussiness. when ds2 reacted to dairy/soy he was miserable and screamed bloody murder. he also had bloody mucosy green stools. Nates poop is normal as can be bright yellow mustard color with seeds. he is peeing plenty.

question for all you moms who get the reflux thing. Can reflux issues be triggered by food allergies/intollerances? or is it a seperate issues always in and of itself? I just want to have info for if and when it comes up with the dr.

#291 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Am I the only one experiencing BF problems?!?

I'm so happy for all of you (especially first time) mamas who aren't going thru what we are because it's not fun.

Massimo was born on June 1st (but my water broke the day before so I'm still good here in the May group, right!?!) at 10 lb 11 oz. My breasts (nipple shape and production of colostrum) and his latch were problematic from the start. I saw two lactations specialists in the hospital and started pumping right away. It's been exhausting.

He doesn't really get anything from the breast directly, although I make him try every time. Then he gets a bottle of expressed BM but at first I was only eeking out half an ounce or so -- which meant we had to supplement with formula. I held out as long as possible and tried to give very small amounts but he started sleeping all the time (was extremely lathargic) and screaming when awake. I could tell he was really unhappy -- not the same content boy I birthed. So now we've been giving as much supplemental formula as he wants (needs) and he is happy again. But I cry almost every time the formula comes out...

He lost more then 10% of his body weight, so we rented a scale to make sure he keeps gaining. Between remembering to weigh him before/after eating, trying to nurse him from the breast directly, feeding via bottle(s), changing him, and then pumping for 20 - 30 minutes there's not much time left in the day.

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble. Just needed to get it out I guess. At first we were too tired to turn on the computer. Now I surf while pumping.

Any advice would be appreciated...
#292 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My problem is similar but not the same. DP doesn't give a crap about the house cleaning, so he won't help unless I really nag him (which I hate doing after he's been at work for 9 hours a day), so the house is a mess and it really irritates me, I can't stand it. Slowly learning to accept a bit of mess, but I'd love if he would just tidy up here and there without me having to ask... It's really hard to tidy up 1-handed with this baby on my boob at all times.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#293 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 01:10 PM

bikegrrl,
I am combo feeding formula & bm. Darci & I are much happier.
#294 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 01:11 PM

mimmyteesa, sounds like a food allergy!
#295 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbikegrrl View Post

I'm so happy for all of you (especially first time) mamas who aren't going thru what we are because it's not fun.

Massimo was born on June 1st (but my water broke the day before so I'm still good here in the May group, right!?!) at 10 lb 11 oz. My breasts (nipple shape and production of colostrum) and his latch were problematic from the start. I saw two lactations specialists in the hospital and started pumping right away. It's been exhausting.

He doesn't really get anything from the breast directly, although I make him try every time. Then he gets a bottle of expressed BM but at first I was only eeking out half an ounce or so -- which meant we had to supplement with formula. I held out as long as possible and tried to give very small amounts but he started sleeping all the time (was extremely lathargic) and screaming when awake. I could tell he was really unhappy -- not the same content boy I birthed. So now we've been giving as much supplemental formula as he wants (needs) and he is happy again. But I cry almost every time the formula comes out...

He lost more then 10% of his body weight, so we rented a scale to make sure he keeps gaining. Between remembering to weigh him before/after eating, trying to nurse him from the breast directly, feeding via bottle(s), changing him, and then pumping for 20 - 30 minutes there's not much time left in the day.

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble. Just needed to get it out I guess. At first we were too tired to turn on the computer. Now I surf while pumping.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Have you tried finding and IBCLC? It would be well worth it for you to have someone come over and spend as much time as you need helping him get back to the breast. They can be expensive but nowhere near what you would end up paying in formula. I think having someone come visit you in the home rather than trying to get it together enough to go to a LLL meeting would be so helpful for you.

Here is a sight where you can search by zip code for a LC. I am sometimes wary of the hospital ones sometimes they aren't certified etc.

http://gotwww.net/ilca/

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#296 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 02:25 PM

HI All!
Glad I found you all.

I'm 8 days post-partum and I've been having wicked night sweats. I can't remember having them with DS. Is this normal?!

I was feeling some mild uterine discomfort Thursday-Friday and put a call in to the mw. She hasn't called back yet, and it's better today. I think I was doing too much and not taking ibuprofen. I wasn't sure if I was getting a UTI or bladder infection or if it was uterine or what. But probably just doing too much.

I've had to see a LC. DD likes to keep her tongue on the roof of her mouth so her latch hasn't been right. It's worse on one side but we're getting better now that I know what it is. I've been having her practice sucking on my finger and trying to get her to open wider. I also made a chiro appt for her Monday, although DH isn't on board with the expense or idea.
#297 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willzmama View Post
I've had to see a LC. DD likes to keep her tongue on the roof of her mouth so her latch hasn't been right. It's worse on one side but we're getting better now that I know what it is. I've been having her practice sucking on my finger and trying to get her to open wider. I also made a chiro appt for her Monday, although DH isn't on board with the expense or idea.
How do you know?

I'm working on our latch and I'm wondering if the problem is something like this (that I can't see KWIM?)

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#298 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbikegrrl View Post
No, Alivia stopped nursing well the night before last. Just suddenly acted like she forgot how to latch. Turns out her mouth got a bit sore from using daddy's pinky finger as a pacifier while we were rushing through the grocery store. She's doing better today, but I just about had a breakdown thinking she was going to give up nursing on me.
#299 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 PM

We had to work on a more open mouth for the first 1-2 weeks as ds liked to open just enough to get a little nipple in but it was painful and he would get air -- lucky for me I know all about this from ds1, so we were able to get it worked out quickly!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#300 of 663 Old 06-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willzmama View Post
HI All!
I'm 8 days post-partum and I've been having wicked night sweats. I can't remember having them with DS. Is this normal?!

Not sure if it's normal, but I've been experiencing them, too. I started having them around 8mo pg.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page