Any other May '07 mama's lurking here? - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2007, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOne View Post
you lucky dog! if i had five hours straight, i think i could conquer the world!

actually, though, dd isn't a terrible sleeper. she is typically only waking two or three times to nurse at night (between 11 and 6). so, i can't complain too much. my biggest concern at this point is just over the last two nights she is refusing to sleep in her little positioner that is between me and dh. i am still just not ready for her to be in bed with us unprotected. and she can't sleep on my side because ds is there and he only wants me at bedtime, so putting him next to dh isn't an option.
Can you put DS in the middle and DD on the outside on your side?

We're still getting 4 hours straight at the beginning part of the night SOME nights, then 2-3 hours max for the rest of the night. BUT, she's stopped getting UP at night, she nurses and goes back to sleep, which is way better than when she wanted to be awake for an hour or two in between those stretches. So we're starting to feel much more rested. I've also taken to waking her after 2 hrs tops during the day and not letting her have super long naps during the day otherwise she won't sleep as long (or as early) at night.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Can you put DS in the middle and DD on the outside on your side?
i would love to, but we are on a queen size bed and ds is co-sleeping with us by being in a side carred crib. we just can't fit the four of us in the bed alone (i should have explained that part in my first message). that's why ds is on the side. we are going to be getting a king size bed as soon as we can afford it.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonkey View Post
We named the girls Sydney Ruth, Sabrina Mae, ans Shannon Elora. They were born at 25 weeks 5 days. Sydney was our tiny one born weighing 1lb 3oz and dropped under a pound after birth. She has also been the baby with the most problems. She has a grade 1 brain bleed, a hole in her small intestine that is getting fixed today through surgery, and she has already been through a surgery last monday to fix her PDA. Sabrina was the 2nd one born weighing in at 1lb12oz and at birth was the healthiest one. She was the only one who did not need the oscillator not did she have surgery to close her PDA. At 15 days old she developed an infection and went on antibiotics however the meds did not seem to be working so they changed them and she is doing better now. She is in isolation but as soon as she is better she can come back in the room and join her sisters. Shannon is our giant. She was on the oscillator for 2 weeks. 3 days after birth she developed sepsis and was put on meds that cleared the infection up. She had surgery last week and is recovering very well. She is in the process of being weaned off the ventilator and is the only one we can hold. We are hoping to start kangaroo care this week.

Ok i am getting off of here. Taking my oldest to day camp and heading to the NICU
Welcome to mdc and our group of may mamas! Keep us all updated on tour kiddos as things progress! Sending thoughts of strength ond healing your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
Hey everyone. My daughter's behavior has changed too. The first few weeks she was an angel. Now, not so much. She is still great overall, but is definitely doing a few things to get our attention. We're doing our best to give her as much as she needs. I agree, too, about feeling guilty over not being able to give baby #2 as much time/attention as baby #1 got.
This same exact thing is going on in my house. DD1 has been so whiney and emotional lately. And in order to tend to her needs, sometimes I have to let the baby cry for a few minutes. It's heartbreaking because I never let Katelynn cry for more than a few seconds before being able to pick her up.

Quote:
why oh WHY did my bleeding start up again? Arg! DH and my mom figure there's probably some placenta still retained. grrr. headed to the OB on Friday to get things checked out. *sigh*
Sounds like you might have overdone it. I doubt it's placenta...you would have had a raging infection weeks ago if that were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I have mastitis Any advise?
Just wanted to give you a
Quote:
i would love to, but we are on a queen size bed and ds is co-sleeping with us by being in a side carred crib. we just can't fit the four of us in the bed alone (i should have explained that part in my first message). that's why ds is on the side. we are going to be getting a king size bed as soon as we can afford it.
I would Love to be able to afford a king size bed!!! Right now we are sleeping with the baby in the middle of us for most of the night. And then early in the morning when dd1 climbs into bed with us, I put the baby on the outside of me and dd1 goes in between dh and I. Man, a queen bed is small when you've got that many people in it!!!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 06-19-2007, 05:43 PM

could my 4 weeker actually be smiling at me?? And I swear she's cooing, too!!!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 06-19-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
Mine is! He started exactly at 4 weeks.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 06-19-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Mine is! She has been for the past week...she'll be a month: on thurs. She's cooing too. Def my youngest to do this. Really, our bonding has been amazing! She is so tuned into me...MOST of the time it's great, lol.
After a whole week of no water in the house (pressure pump broke) we are back up! My new middle child, DD (28mos) is doing MUCH better since we (GASP) got rid of the tv. We were on'y using it for movies, but the past few weeks they were watching an excessive amount (my feeling overwhelmed with three). But they are now PLAYING and singing and DD is not as cranky or aggressive. And it's only been two days! We didnt even have a tv til a yr ago. We are excited! (Altho...could anyone tell me the trick to take a shower with three and no tv????) Seriously. Thanks!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 06-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Hey ladies~ just checking in here with a few thoughts...

1. Sending love to all who are healing tears... I am amazed at how promptly my tear healed, and although it looks different, no function is impaired and my precious yoni still looks good to me! Basically, the opening is just a little longer. So I encourage everyone to take a look and give praise to their awesome yonis for being such masterful gateways to the world...

2. Sleep: We are all thankfully sleeping great- I wake lightly 2-3x a night to nurse Akasha, but she is so quick and falls right back to sleep, it's no big deal. Sleep deprivation is not an issue for us at all. FYI, if you really want to find a King Size bed for a reasonable price, I highly suggest IKEA.. love that place!

3. The Anxiety Elimination diet worked (and I am thinking of publishing a book on it... lol!) I don't know why or how, but Akasha is almost totally cleared up from her rash, and I am including whatever the hell I feel like eating in my diet... a little wine, a little coffee, a little pastry, a little cheese... it was weird... I decided I was gonna stop freaking out about it, had a heart to heart with Akasha, and she started to clear up... Energy is powerful!

Lots of love and strength to all of you amazing women~ You are making a difference in these little souls lives with such grace, I salute all of you!
xoxo,

Grace Comes.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
after my 4th baby I had intermittent spotting from 4 weeks to 6 months apparently it was chalked up to be a hormonal thing (sorry that was the diagnosis) and it was suggested that if the spotting bugged me that I take birth control pills (which I didn't) it was irritating though
I did this for 6 months!!! ONly mine was caused from being given excesive fluids via IV! Next time I know just to rip the dang thing out! (If I ever have another IV) With #2, I only bled 2 wks. Still am with this one...doing too much...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 06-19-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
dd has been smiling at us for the past couple of weeks also (she is 5 weeks 2 days). we attributed it to gas at first, but can't deny anymore that it is on purpose - she is so sweet
Old 06-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Hmm... some others in the Vancouver tribe have chatted about turning the queen sideways and adding a twin by your feet for length to get a bit of extra room if you can't afford to buy a king right away.... worth a try?

Quote:
Sounds like you might have overdone it. I doubt it's placenta...you would have had a raging infection weeks ago if that were the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I did this for 6 months!!! ONly mine was caused from being given excesive fluids via IV! Next time I know just to rip the dang thing out! (If I ever have another IV) With #2, I only bled 2 wks. Still am with this one...doing too much...
Hmm, thanks I definitely do not have a raging infection. I do have cramps now and again though. And I did have too many iv fluids. I asked them to turn it down and got the party line about having to restart it to administer the antibiotics. It took them 7 tries to get it started the first time. (Then yesterday my mom and I were talking and she is astounded and appalled that they were giving me anitbiotics at all. They were doing it as a preventative measure due to the high rate of infections in that hospital and the news stories that have hit the press in recent months.: They don't give unnecessary antibiotics at my mom's hospital.)

Quote:
Yes, mine has been for a few weeks now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
(Altho...could anyone tell me the trick to take a shower with three and no tv????) Seriously. Thanks!
Take them in with you?? Sit the older ones on the floor playing in a couple of inches and stand and shower with babe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
2. Sleep: We are all thankfully sleeping great- I wake lightly 2-3x a night to nurse Akasha, but she is so quick and falls right back to sleep, it's no big deal. Sleep deprivation is not an issue for us at all. FYI, if you really want to find a King Size bed for a reasonable price, I highly suggest IKEA.. love that place!
I suggest Sleep Country. Ask for what is on thier "Hot List". (Might only be in Canada though... )
Quote:
3. The Anxiety Elimination diet worked (and I am thinking of publishing a book on it... lol!) I don't know why or how, but Akasha is almost totally cleared up from her rash, and I am including whatever the hell I feel like eating in my diet... a little wine, a little coffee, a little pastry, a little cheese... it was weird... I decided I was gonna stop freaking out about it, had a heart to heart with Akasha, and she started to clear up... Energy is powerful!
We did this "diet" as well. (although I am still avoiding large quantities of garlic, but not ALL garlic) Kayleigh's rash also cleared up and the mucousy poops are long gone and the gassiness isn't nearly so bad. actually, the rash cleared up when I decided that the special "hypo-allergenic" laundry detergent that DH and MIL insisted they buy to wash baby clothes in (Ivory Snow) was giving ME a rash and quit using it on baby laundry. Hmmmm. anyone want a half box of ivory snow?

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I asked them to turn it down and got the party line about having to restart it to administer the antibiotics. It took them 7 tries to get it started the first time. (Then yesterday my mom and I were talking and she is astounded and appalled that they were giving me anitbiotics at all. They were doing it as a preventative measure due to the high rate of infections in that hospital and the news stories that have hit the press in recent months.: They don't give unnecessary antibiotics at my mom's hospital.)
I wish that they'd done this at my hospital: it took more than a month to clear up my infection. If I'm unable to have a VBAC next time, I plan on insisting on antibiotics in the hospital. The infection was very painful and time consuming, and I'm still bitter about spending three days away from my newborn because I had to be readmitted to the hospital. Don't even get me started on the weeks of daily visits at home from a nurse for "wound care"... (Do I sound bitter?? )

Someone mentioned uninterupted sleep, and I agree that it makes a huge difference. DS is sleeping 6-7 hours a night, but up until this week, I was getting up halfway through that to pump breast milk. I'd forgotten how much better you feel when you get your sleep without interuptions...
Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
my biggest concern at this point is just over the last two nights she is refusing to sleep in her little positioner that is between me and dh. i am still just not ready for her to be in bed with us unprotected. and she can't sleep on my side because ds is there and he only wants me at bedtime, so putting him next to dh isn't an option.
I'm having a similar problem as of now. DD is only about 7.5 lbs at 6 weeks old, and I don't feel comfortable with her in bed unprotected. I bought the best sleep positioner I could find - memory foam and all - yet she wants to sleep with her head resting on my boob. I wouldn't mind if she were bigger/older, but her due date was last week, so she's still so tiny and fragile. Our two older sons go to sleep in their own beds, and when they come in, it's often quietly. We may not even wake up when they climb up. I have the baby on the edge of the bed, I leave the center for the boys, and dh is on the other end. We have a king bed. But it's a struggle. I send dh out of the bed with the boys sometimes when I don't feel safe. Ugh. I get so worried.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
Old 06-19-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTeesa View Post
Dang, that just can't be normal! I heard the "laundry problem" line from a couple people, too. If it's projectile a couple times a day, that just can't be normal. DS's vomiting DID get a lot better, but he did it Sun. and twice Tues. (had pizza Saturday night), so something is up here.
She's almost 4 weeks old, now, and she's STILL spitting up as much as always; but we had our 4 week midwife appointment today and she has gained almost a pound in the 12 days since our last one, so she's obviously getting enough to eat... so I just don't know. It IS a laundry problem, though.

Quote:
Amy, does your milk come out really fast? Anyone suggested pumping some off to have a slower let down for her? Or, have you tried one breast only per feeding? Just some thoughts for vomitting not caused by dairy or soy
It definitely WAS, but in the past week or so I've actually been having a problem with not having enough supply to meet her 3 week growth spurt demand, but she's still spitting up nonetheless. Hrmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
my milk flows very fast so i only fed her from one side at a time & made sure she burped well & remained upright for quite sometime after eating. it was exhausting (especially at night) but i do think it helped some.
I was doing this a lot more diligently, too, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I still burp her frequently when she's awake, but I stopped burping her if she's fallen asleep because like you said..exhausting!

Quote:
For sleeping: we get mostly 2 hour stretches, one after the other all night long. We have gotten as much as 4 hours of him sleeping, but not often!
You too, huh? The past two nights she's slept from 12 am - 4 am, which was the longest stretch so far. It was appreciated, but I'm already hoping for longer, soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhoenix View Post
Someone mentioned uninterupted sleep, and I agree that it makes a huge difference. DS is sleeping 6-7 hours a night
How old is he now?!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:54 PM

Not to hijack MSAX, but we've got thrush. Any advice?

My doc (who is an MD and a Naturopath) has put us on some really strong probiotics. It seems to be working... the pain in my breast is lessening since starting them. Do you think I need to do anything else? I ask because the LLL FAQ on thrush was much more aggressive than my doc's suggestions...
Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis View Post
Not to hijack MSAX, but we've got thrush. Any advice?

My doc (who is an MD and a Naturopath) has put us on some really strong probiotics. It seems to be working... the pain in my breast is lessening since starting them. Do you think I need to do anything else? I ask because the LLL FAQ on thrush was much more aggressive than my doc's suggestions...
grapefruit seed extract with each meal, you can also make a solution to wash pacis, bottles, your bras, anything that is contacted by his mouth or your breastmilk/breasts. gentian violet if you r nipples are bad, 3 days usually knocks it out! hot hot water for dipes and your bras.
thrush is no fun, i hope you feel better soon!

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 06-20-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post
grapefruit seed extract with each meal, you can also make a solution to wash pacis, bottles, your bras, anything that is contacted by her mouth or your breastmilk/breasts. gentian violet if you r nipples are bad, 3 days usually knocks it out! hot hot water for dipes and your bras.
thrush is no fun, i hope you feel better soon!
My doc said it's a pretty mild case. DS only has a whitish coating on his tongue but no other symptoms. I have been having deep breast pain on the left side for 2 days, but my nipples are fine. The pain is lessening since I started the probiotics (massive doses for me and also on my nipples so that DS gets some as well). The coating on his tongue seems to be getting less white too.

I live in an apt with laundry facilities in the basement and don't have control over how hot the water is... I hope this being a mild case that regular laundering will be sufficient.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
My doc said it's a pretty mild case. DS only has a whitish coating on his tongue but no other symptoms. I have been having deep breast pain on the left side for 2 days, but my nipples are fine. The pain is lessening since I started the probiotics (massive doses for me and also on my nipples so that DS gets some as well). The coating on his tongue seems to be getting less white too.

I live in an apt with laundry facilities in the basement and don't have control over how hot the water is... I hope this being a mild case that regular laundering will be sufficient.
if you do find that regular detergent isnt enough GSE can be added to your wash as well.

I hope you feel 100%soon. for me thrush gets out of control fast so I'm pretty anal about it. then again I have yeast issues to begin with so I am always extra careful

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 06-20-2007, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Oh yay. : we'll see what the OB says on Friday.. not sure which is preferable.

Did I miss your trip to Van? Was looking forward to putting a face to a name.
I made it down, and actually had a good time, but was super busy and exhausted (it was my sisters university grad weekend lots of "events" ) Next time I come down I hope to stay for a couple days then I can get some visiting in
Old 06-20-2007, 02:42 AM

Well I finally broke down and made an appointment for Callum to go have cranial sacral therapy his grumpiness has been stressing me out and my dp is less than helpful hopefully this will help Callum release any stressful energy and become more peaceful

and I wanted to comment about sleep I think at 1-2 months of age the most you can "expect" your baby to sleep is in 2-3 hour stretches anything more than that consider yourself lucky (and don't tell me )

I have always felt that my high "expectations" of my babies have caused extra stress and worry in our lives. I remember really struggling with my first son because I expected him to sleep 6 hours by 4 months, I expected him to be able to play with a toy for a minute or two without me, I expected him to eat solid foods that I spoon fed him, I expected him to sleep in his own bed and when he did none of those things I really struggled I have found since I have given up predetermined expectations I am a lot happier (and sane)
Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 AM

Where have you found GSE? I've had thrush for 3 weeks now. : It's really getting to me.
I also think that my little one may have reflux, but we haven't made it to a dr. yet. I'm hoping to wait until we move unless she gets too uncomfortable. I've found that our mei tai is a life saver- she wants to be upright nearly constantly and it lets me still play with my three year old and do (some) housework.
Does anyone have a link for when different milestones usually happen? I don't really remember when DD1 did what.
:
She's still sleeping well, though!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 06-20-2007, 02:56 AM

Hey everyone! It's so fun to read all this. Makes me grateful for the amount of sleep I'm getting at least! I am choosing sleep over work pretty much, which is probably a good thing, but hard when I have a lot of work waiting. I'm just getting things done slower than I did before. During the day, Henry doesn't stay asleep unless he's being held/worn, so today I finally figured out how to handle that. I had my husband wrap us up in a Moby Wrap when he was asleep, and I was able to get some shipping done. Then I walked to a spa and met my mom there, and we transferred him to the Kozy she was wearing and I had a massage!!! It was SO nice. And Henry slept for FOUR HOURS, which was almost as nice. (I think he's pretty steady with 3 hour stretches at night, but sometimes it's more. I don't look at the clock most of the time so I'm not really sure.)

Today was by far Henry's best day. He had a massive poop this morning, which is probably why he was so happy the rest of the day! LOL He just slept and ate and was awake and happy, barely any crying at all. And plenty of smiling. Makes me excited to see him get older and more organized. He's another May 2 baby - seven weeks already!!

I tore and didn't get stitches. It's a bit crooked now, but works OK. It's like an L for Love. rofl

ETA: Good question about the milestones! I have completely forgotten too. I just googled "baby milestones" and tons of stuff came up though. Gonna have a quick peek because I don't even remember like when they roll over!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Where have you found GSE? I've had thrush for 3 weeks now. : It's really getting to me.
I'm the queen of thrush, so I definitely sympathize You can buy GSE at any natural food store - is there a whole foods near you? I have bought pills and juice - and the pills are way better, IMO, because you can't taste all the concentrated grapefruit! But, you can give a child the juice, but not the pill. We keep both.

Also, wash you stuff with white vinegar - yeast is a tough one to kill. If you're using cloth breastpads, I'd suggest maybe even boiling them for a few minutes. Cloth diapers? Same - I have boiled my Fuzzi Bunz many times. Actually, boil all pacifiers, breastpump parts that touch milk, as well. I would boil everything after each use. Acidophilus really helps with the internal balance as well! My kids get it, too A 10% solution of white vinegar : water is great to rub on your nipples after each feeding, and you can wipe baby's bum with it if you notice any yeasty rash.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 PM

Hey, can anyone share their experiences with cranial sacral therapy? My GP wants me to come in for a manipulation, because she thinks it will help a lot with my PPD issues, but I know nothing about it whatsoever. Is it helpful?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:54 PM

so can i assume that 10% white vinegar will work for a yeast bum rash, too? i'm quite sure ds has yeast and have been adding GSE to our cloth wipes but it doesn't seem to be working. and i should be more diligent about taking my probiotics, too.....

stephanie asl.gif

Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Hey, can anyone share their experiences with cranial sacral therapy? My GP wants me to come in for a manipulation, because she thinks it will help a lot with my PPD issues, but I know nothing about it whatsoever. Is it helpful?
i have no experience or knowledge about craniosacral therapy for ppd but i just wanted to offer my sympathy and prayers as you work through this...

stephanie asl.gif

Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM

and pepperdove....your family has been in my thoughts and prayers, too, after the loss of your aunt. i'm so very sorry.

stephanie asl.gif

Old 06-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Ok, so I have been using wool breastpads and they can't be boiled... what to do there? Should I wash them in lukewarm water with vinegar?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
I'm taking my baby to get cranial sacral therapy on friday I hope it helps but I don't know much about it
Old 06-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I have been using wool breastpads and they can't be boiled... what to do there? Should I wash them in lukewarm water with vinegar?
honestly I'd soak them in straight vinegar for 24 hours then wash them normally and dry in direct sun I wouldn't want to take any chances to reinfect
Old 06-20-2007, 06:29 PM

I've just discovered that we've joined the thrush club too. I was suspecting it based on OUCH nursing, but I just checked his gums and they are thrushy. Blech.

How much vinegar in the wash? Does bleach do anything against yeast? All of my undies are white so they always get bleached. They will really need bleached if I go the purple nipple route again .

Is it grapefruit seed extract or grape seed extract? I found grape seed extract on GNC's website (the closest thing we have in town to a natural food store). We used to have some massage oil that was one or the other of those two, but that was a wedding present so is LONG gone.

User Tag List