Any other May '07 mama's lurking here? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
so can i assume that 10% white vinegar will work for a yeast bum rash, too? i'm quite sure ds has yeast and have been adding GSE to our cloth wipes but it doesn't seem to be working. and i should be more diligent about taking my probiotics, too.....
it should. plus letting it air out as much as you can. '

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
I've just discovered that we've joined the thrush club too. I was suspecting it based on OUCH nursing, but I just checked his gums and they are thrushy. Blech.

How much vinegar in the wash? Does bleach do anything against yeast? All of my undies are white so they always get bleached. They will really need bleached if I go the purple nipple route again .

Is it grapefruit seed extract or grape seed extract? I found grape seed extract on GNC's website (the closest thing we have in town to a natural food store). We used to have some massage oil that was one or the other of those two, but that was a wedding present so is LONG gone.
I dont know about the bleach

grape seed extract is something totally different.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#482 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am coming off 24 hours of midwife ordered bedrest. Dh took off work and came home yesterday when the red area on my breast spread and I had red lines going up into my armpit and a hockey puck sized lump! MW was worried, ordered me to bed and I have been taking homopathics and goldenseal and ice compresses (no more heat she said) and potatoe presses also! It is getting better (redness is way down, lump is smaller but still large) but this lump is not moving it seems!

Anyhow, I am praying to avoid antibiotics and it seems I will because I SO don't want to join the thrush crowd!!!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#483 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 06:20 PM

You want something like this:

http://store.allhealthtrends.com/pgi...ctspec?NB-1001

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#484 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM

I posted about a week ago saying that my 2wo daughter was experiencing nipple confusion after using her daddy's pinky as a pacifier while we hastily finished our grocery shopping...Well, it wasn't that--she actually has an ear infection. I brought her into the Dr. today because the conjunctivitis in her eye was getting red and irritated. The first thing the Dr. did was check her ears--poor little girl screamed. I felt a little silly because someone on the breastfeeding forum had suggested the possibility of an ear infection when I asked what could possibly be causing her to act like she no longer knew how to latch on. She didn't have any other ear infection symptoms though.

I've never had a baby with an ear infection before. Is there anything I should know? She's on 1ml Amoxicillin 3x a day.
#485 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkimo View Post
I posted about a week ago saying that my 2wo daughter was experiencing nipple confusion after using her daddy's pinky as a pacifier while we hastily finished our grocery shopping...Well, it wasn't that--she actually has an ear infection. I brought her into the Dr. today because the conjunctivitis in her eye was getting red and irritated. The first thing the Dr. did was check her ears--poor little girl screamed. I felt a little silly because someone on the breastfeeding forum had suggested the possibility of an ear infection when I asked what could possibly be causing her to act like she no longer knew how to latch on. She didn't have any other ear infection symptoms though.

I've never had a baby with an ear infection before. Is there anything I should know? She's on 1ml Amoxicillin 3x a day.
Anything you should know--
most ear infections can be resolved without abx (I'm not telling you not to take them, just saying that ear infections are generally easily overcame nuisences.

She will probably not want to sleep (or be) in any lying down position for long. Expect to camp out in a recliner with her on your chest for a few nights. You could use an infant swing. . .or if using a bassinet prop up the head portion from underneath. . .anything to keep her head elevated will help her sleep longer streches.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#486 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis View Post
Ok, so I have been using wool breastpads and they can't be boiled... what to do there? Should I wash them in lukewarm water with vinegar?
Yeah, the vinegar is great for things that can't be boiled. Yeast can't be killed by even the hottest tap water, so washing them with regular detergent doesn't rid them of yeast. You can't overuse the vinegar on inanimate objects - so a greater than 10% solution is probably better.

Doulalove: And yes, wiping a baby's bum with vinegar is great for treating a yeast infection.

EFPookie: It's GrapeFRUIT seed extract. I'm not sure what grape seed extract would be used for. Also, I have a front-load high-efficiency washer and I fill the fabric softner spot with vinegar when I do a thrush wash. It's probably only about 1/4 cup, but the washer uses very little water. If I were going to put it in a regular washer, I'd put a couple cups of vinegar, let the water fill a little bit, then stop the cycle and let the clothes soak for a little before letting the wash cycle through (if that makes sense). I'd err on the side of over-use of vinegar. I buy a gallon at a time because I use it fairly regularly on my dipe washes as a preventative measure. And YES, bleach will also kill the yeast - so your undies should be OK

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#487 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkimo View Post
LOL. I think it *could* have been me about the ear infection. I think I posted about it a while back... When DS was 6 weeks old, I thought I was losing my mind. We were doing really well nursing and then BAM one day he just won't latch and screams during nursing. It was an ear infection, I'm not sure what its cause was, but they didn't reoccur a lot, so I didn't worry about it.

Anyway - don't feel silly about it.

My recommendation is to eat yogurt daily and consider taking acidolpholus (sp?). I'm sure they can point you in the right direction at your health food store. That's just to help your body fight extra yeast from the antibiotic. Others may know more about giving something like that to baby.

And, if baby is still in pain, I'd give tylenol. It will ease the pain for the next 24-48 hours until the amox kicks in and kills the infection. But I'm more mainstream than most.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#488 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 PM

ashley Im so sorry to hear about the babes infection. I hope he feels better soon.

nate is doing fantastically.
anyone here know if I should bother making well baby visits for a non vax'd kido? i know hes gaining, and doing wonderfully. Im going to the one month but havent decided if i should go to more.

on a side note I just gave my 9 year old DS a mohawk and spiked it with red jello

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#489 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 10:21 PM

While I was pregnant *I* got an ear infection--hadn't had one since childhood, it was totally wierd!--and I cleared it up with garlic oil. I don't know if that's safe for babies, but you might want to look it up instead of going the abx route.

With the garlic oil I experienced immediate pain relief. It was amazing. Stinky, though.
#490 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post
ashley Im so sorry to hear about the babes infection. I hope he feels better soon.

nate is doing fantastically.
anyone here know if I should bother making well baby visits for a non vax'd kido? i know hes gaining, and doing wonderfully. Im going to the one month but havent decided if i should go to more.

on a side note I just gave my 9 year old DS a mohawk and spiked it with red jello
your a cool mom

and to answer the well baby question I don't do well baby visits after about 6 months ( and we don't vax) I like to know about their weight gain and to make sure they are developmentally on track (I worry about hearing loss, hip dysplasia, vision issues) after about 6 months I kind of stop going
#491 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 PM

ooh and I uploaded a pic from tonight of Callum at 7 weeks on the dot (he was born a 630 pm ) http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...edlookatme.jpg
#492 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 10:59 PM

Crys: Callum is gorgeous!!!
Kittn: can you post a pic?!!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#493 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 PM

We did garlic oil with ds when he was about 6 months with great results.

I would also encourage you to use probiotics if you are giving abx or you might join the growing number of moms here with thrush issues! health food store will have them.

#494 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 11:36 PM

my husband is gone & all 3 of my kids are sleeping. ahhhh....the silence!

ezra is 4.5 weeks old & i had an overwhelming thought today about having to physically carry a baby, in arms, for many more months and also not getting quality sleep for at least a year!? i think i'm just feeling tired with sore arms/shoulders. it's amazing how much these little ones can zap outta you, isn't it? but then, when i'm away from him, i miss the little guy. i went to the chiro today & when i got home i was dying to get my hands on him. of course he wanted to nurse right away but i had to get in a few kisses & sniffs first.

my two older ones, though....i'm seriously so fed up with both of them. please tell me this is normal! my 4 year old has become a chronic whiner & my 2 year old screams & cries all the time. neither of them listens to me & they throw holy fits if i don't let them do whatever they want, whenever they want. and...they refuse to sleep! (this is not abnormal in my house, though). naptime & bedtime have become huge battles and i'm so tired of dealing with it! granted, my husband has been home for a few weeks & it's summer & our routine is completely shot but don't you think they would occasionally fall asleep without arguing & fighting & telling me they're never sleeping again? arghhhh.

i'm tired. i have the house to myself with 3 snoozing kiddos & all i want to do is sleep. maybe i'll do my nails first. i can't remember the last time i painted my nails but i bought new polish today just for the heck of it!

stephanie asl.gif

#495 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
ezra is 4.5 weeks old & i had an overwhelming thought today about having to physically carry a baby, in arms, for many more months and also not getting quality sleep for at least a year!? i think i'm just feeling tired with sore arms/shoulders. it's amazing how much these little ones can zap outta you, isn't it? but then, when i'm away from him, i miss the little guy. i went to the chiro today & when i got home i was dying to get my hands on him. of course he wanted to nurse right away but i had to get in a few kisses & sniffs first.

!
wow sounds like my house
#496 of 663 Old 06-20-2007, 11:59 PM

My almost 5 year old fights his way through bedtime every single night! It starts with the battle to brush his teeth and continues until he is alseep.

Crys -- your baby is so cute! I love his hair (mama of bald babies here) I need to post a pic of my little guy, I haven't had the energy to upload anything yet!

#497 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 12:13 AM

Here are my boys together a few days after Clay was born:

http://meganelin.vox.com/library/pho...625d23c7f.html

#498 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
Here are my boys together a few days after Clay was born:

http://meganelin.vox.com/library/pho...625d23c7f.html
they are adorable!

We were surprised that callum had dark hair my other two children with my dp (we are a blended family) are blond and were bald at birth, so the head of dark hair kinda threw me off. But it is really nice, especially after a bath when I blow dry it into a mohawk
#499 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 02:03 AM

JanB, I've had craniosacral and I love it. It is a great modality. Very gentle and subtle and relaxing. I'm not sure what it is supposed to do for ppd, but you won't know what it does for you until you try it.

Yesterday I gave Kiran a bath and found a Rice Krispie in the folds of her neck. We had actually eaten all the RKs a couple days earlier . . . .
#500 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 AM

Well, I go to the dr to get something for my PPD this morning. I REALLY hope I don't get the run around or something. I imagine it shouldn't be a problem getting a script tho. But doc's can be STUPID sometimes.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#501 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:

my two older ones, though....i'm seriously so fed up with both of them. please tell me this is normal! my 4 year old has become a chronic whiner & my 2 year old screams & cries all the time. neither of them listens to me & they throw holy fits if i don't let them do whatever they want, whenever they want. and...they refuse to sleep! (this is not abnormal in my house, though). naptime & bedtime have become huge battles and i'm so tired of dealing with it! granted, my husband has been home for a few weeks & it's summer & our routine is completely shot but don't you think they would occasionally fall asleep without arguing & fighting & telling me they're never sleeping again? arghhhh.
I am dealing with this with dd #1 too. So yesterday I took both kids over to my moms had my mom hold and snuggle the baby and spent some quality time with Maya, I focused my energy on just her for about half and hour and she was a different kid throughout the day she was listening again and understanding and patient. I was really almost dreading spending time with her because she has been so difficult and I have had a really short fuse with her but just the reverse happened. We both reconnected and things were better.

So maybe find some one-on-one time for a little while let them pick an activity and throw yourself into it. hang in there!

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#502 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 AM

I think my LO may have reflux I am not sure though and not sure if I should take her to the ped?

I hear all of your posts about your DH's, I feel the same way sometimes and its really hard! I also agree about the Vit b's, they work awesome! I think I am going to up my dose to 100mg instead of just the 50, I need more energy and happiness...LOL!

My 4 and 2 yr old are also driving me batty, my 4 yr old WHINES so much, he whines more then my 2 yr old, somedays I feel like losing it and running away, is that bad? Somedays I feel like I can't do this anymore, I am worn out right now, I think

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#503 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
We did garlic oil with ds when he was about 6 months with great results.

I would also encourage you to use probiotics if you are giving abx or you might join the growing number of moms here with thrush issues! health food store will have them.
I had a dream last night that I actually found probiotics at Walmart . I had forgotten about that until you mentioned them. I think I also found an herb section and GSE there - in my dream, of course.
#504 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
ooh and I uploaded a pic from tonight of Callum at 7 weeks on the dot (he was born a 630 pm ) http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...edlookatme.jpg

OMG hes sooo freaking cute. btw we have the same outfit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Kittn: can you post a pic?!!
yuppers
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ii913/feet.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...913/ajhawk.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...913/ajkiss.jpg

plus a bonus baby feet picture!

so what do you think?

Quote:
my two older ones, though....i'm seriously so fed up with both of them. please tell me this is normal! my 4 year old has become a chronic whiner & my 2 year old screams & cries all the time. neither of them listens to me & they throw holy fits if i don't let them do whatever they want, whenever they want. !
this same thing is going on here with the almost 3y/o. we've tried everything. its just bad, but its gotten a little better in the past few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
I had a dream last night that I actually found probiotics at Walmart . I had forgotten about that until you mentioned them. I think I also found an herb section and GSE there - in my dream, of course.
my walmart here actually carries them. I dont know if they are any good

#505 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
Yesterday I gave Kiran a bath and found a Rice Krispie in the folds of her neck. We had actually eaten all the RKs a couple days earlier . . . .
LOL I love it!

We're finally getting lots of smiles when N is content and awake. Sometimes I know I scare him with my laugh and smothering kisses.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#506 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 03:47 PM

I'm joining the thrush club. Yuck. I never had this with dd1. But then again, I never take abx if I can help it and I had to with my uterine infection just after the birth this time. And I thought I was doing so well taking probiotics along with the abx. But then my girlfriend told me that I needed to be taking at least 50 billion organisms a day and my probiotics only had 4 billion...so we got thrush anyway...bummer. I wasn't convinced that I had it at first, my nipples just seemed a little pinkish and were sort of irritated. But then came the diaper rash that just wouldn't go away and overnight turned into this horrible sight, I looked up pics of yeast rashes online and knew that's what she had, then I saw the white patches on her lips. Poor baby girl. So I found online an OTC cream I could use on her bum that we just happened to have at home and that cleared up within a day. I'm giving her baby acidopholus and I'm taking mad amounts of acidopholus myself. I need to start doint the vinegar rinse and GSE, too. I've got both of those on hand at home, too. How much GSE for me and the babe?

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#507 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

to all the thrush mamas.

My 4 year old has been having NIGHTMARISH tantrums - hitting, screaming, stomping, screeching, sptting, crying, etc. It might be getting better ... *sigh*

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#508 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
nak

Thanks for posting this! I'll have to show DH so he doesn't persist in thinking DS1 is turning incorrigible for no reason... Sometimes giving him one-on-one mommy time helps... but not always.

Re: antibiotics and thrush... I had to take courses of 2 different abx since DS2 was born, and staved off thrush by taking a Saccharomyces boulardii ("good yeast") probiotic (thanks for that rec, DoulaGina). Other probiotics would just be killed off by the abx because they are bacteria, but the S. boulardii are unaffected by abx and keep the bad yeast at bay. I even mixed some in ebm and gave to DS2 as well, since the abx I took pass into breastmilk.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#509 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOne View Post
i think the hardest part about us going from one to two has been dealing with ds's emotions (he is 23 mos.) - he is just SO CROSS lately. he was doing so well initially, but now, the slightest things seems to set him off. don't get me wrong, i am still enjoying the two under two, but it could be easier, certainly. i just go crazy with the whining and the screaming - he likes to try and be louder than dd.

and, dd wants to nurse ALL THE TIME. if i am holding her, she wants to nurse...period.
My DS#1 is still nursing 2x/day and I am NOT enjoying it. I have not tandem nursed him and DD because I feel that would just open the flood gates to DS wanting to nurse whenever the baby does. And he's been nursing only at bedtime and in the a.m. for over a year so I won't allow him to increase that. And wow, nursing a 4 yo - he might as well be 10! He seems HUGE! His head is massive compared to the baby's. It just feels WRONG to me. He doesn't NEED to nurse, it's just a comfort thing. Whereas the baby only gets my milk and needs it. I just grit my teeth and bear it when DS wants to nurse. Well, he's probably getting some good fat and calories from my milk, and he's a skinny kid. And I would be in for it if I insisted he wean right now. He's already had his world rocked by this little sister! We talk about him weaning and how we'll have a party with cake, but he still wants na-nas daily. Sigh.
#510 of 663 Old 06-21-2007, 05:10 PM

Tandem nursing is the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm sorry, but it's not fun.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page