Any other May '07 mama's lurking here? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
wait a minute -- some of you are actually able to put your babies down?! (i'm only half-joking here). i knew i was in trouble... she does not go for being left alone whatsoever no matter how deep a sleep she's in, she almost always wakes up if i lay her in her bassinet or anywhere other than with me. thank god for slings. this is not normal? i just kind of thought it was...
Yeah, If I want Sebastian to wake up I will lay him down and leave for a few minutes and he wakes right up! But If I am holding him he sleeps all day (and I need him to wake up a lot too eat, my boobs tell me so )

So... I feel like a horrible mom this morning. We were sleeping in bed and DS was getting fussy and I was tired. I tried to get him to eat and he kept refusing and kept on fussing. Well, DH came to take him from me so I could get up and pee and other morning stuff and there was a big wet spot on the bed! : I really felt like I should have known that was why he was fussy, but I wanted more sleep and just tried to give him the boob so he'd stop fussing! Hmm.. oh well I guess. I'll know next time. I feel terrible about it though!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 05:17 PM

My little daughter was born on May 19th. Despite being suctioned after an emergency c-section [placental abruption] because of blood in her stomach, she's got a GREAT latch. She nurses so well. I have plenty of milk and she nurses every 2-3 hours.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
so i had terrible engorgement yesterday and couldn't do anything to help it and finally sent jeff out for a breast pump.
amy, have you tried the cabbage leaves? They really do work. remove the big vein, roll them with a rolling pin and stick them in your bra for a few hours. Sweet relief. Not more than twice in a 24 hr period though, apparently they can reduce your milk production. (which makes sense since they relieve the engorgement)

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 05-30-2007, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like the cabbage leave cold to start out with.

Heidi
Old 05-30-2007, 02:09 AM

Me too, but the instructions from my midwife said the leaves could be cold or room temperature.

Oh, and I second the hot shower.... the milk just starts leaking out all on its own At least for me, I hear gentle massage helps get it going.

You know, they say that engorgement can make it difficult for babe to latch on, but I find that when my boobs are really full, like if she sleeps for 4 hrs instead of 3, then she has an eaasier time latching. I wonder if that is the desperation of having gone lnoger between feedings or is it really easier for her??

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 AM

I need to get back to this belly button thing. Is it odd that my kid is almost 3 weeks old and her stump hasn't fallen off yet? I am positive dd1 was gone by the time she was 10 days old; this kid's belly button doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Should I be concerned? I did totally forget to dab it with alcohol until about a week ago (funny the little things you forget from kid1 to kid2).
Old 05-30-2007, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post
I need to get back to this belly button thing. Is it odd that my kid is almost 3 weeks old and her stump hasn't fallen off yet? I am positive dd1 was gone by the time she was 10 days old; this kid's belly button doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Should I be concerned? I did totally forget to dab it with alcohol until about a week ago (funny the little things you forget from kid1 to kid2).
When I was in the hospital dh and I was what is up with no belly button care as none was being done on Maggie. We were told that all the studies shows that alcohol does nothing. So we left Maggie's belly button alone and hers fell off 8 days later the fastest of any of our kids.

Here is one of the studies:

One study, performed by the Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation in Ontario, Canada, and published in the Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing, examined the drying time of umbilical cords treated with rubbing alcohol versus no alcohol. The study included more than 1,800 newborns. Half of the infants' cords were swabbed with rubbing alcohol and the other half were left untouched.

On the average, the untreated cords healed in eight days and the alcohol treated cords healed in 10 days. This and other studies have prompted some hospitals to change their standard procedure of umbilical cord care.

Heidi
Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 AM

yeah....no alcohol on the cord. our little guy's fell off on day 6!

i have to say, as a normally small breasted woman, i don't like these jugs! they look lovely (if i may say so myself ) but they are hot & uncomfortable. i feel self-conscious wearing certain tank tops & summer shirts because i'm not used to having cleavage & i feel overexposed. thankfully, though, they're big enough to balance out the fat that is very slowly going away on my stomach.....

and a question - do any of you have abdominal muscle soreness? mine actually feels like my uterus.....when i move certain ways my lower abdomen feels sore like i just worked out (which i suppose i did, giving birth!!!). i don't remember this after the girls were born. i have no other symptoms like fever or increased bleeding and it's not a constant pain. it definitely feels like an achey, overworked muscle.

stephanie asl.gif

Old 05-30-2007, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post

sammy was like that. I think it finally came off at like 20 days or something rediculous like that.
as long as it isnt red and/or oozing puss its ok I think

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 AM

NAK

My DD's fell off the other day. I never found it! yuck. I did save my other children's. So I was a little disappointed that this one got "lost" somewhere. But it was around 10 days. I'm sure it will come off eventually.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
Old 05-30-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
yeah....no alcohol on the cord. our little guy's fell off on day 6!

i have to say, as a normally small breasted woman, i don't like these jugs! they look lovely (if i may say so myself ) but they are hot & uncomfortable. i feel self-conscious wearing certain tank tops & summer shirts because i'm not used to having cleavage & i feel overexposed. thankfully, though, they're big enough to balance out the fat that is very slowly going away on my stomach.....

and a question - do any of you have abdominal muscle soreness? mine actually feels like my uterus.....when i move certain ways my lower abdomen feels sore like i just worked out (which i suppose i did, giving birth!!!). i don't remember this after the girls were born. i have no other symptoms like fever or increased bleeding and it's not a constant pain. it definitely feels like an achey, overworked muscle.
im normally barely a B cup and now I am spilling out of my c bup bras UGHHHH none of my clothes fit me right now around the top. I have an overabundance of milk. thank God for nursing toddler. he helps me out big time!

my muscles are sore too. so your not alone. i think mine is tht round ligament pain maybe between my hips and center.
i also still am having pain in my hips/back/pelvis. its terrible some mornings i can hardly move

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 05-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Hi, gals! I'm just now getting caught up on this thread! Good to read updates from everyone.

How are c-section moms healing? I'm finding my healing to be going frustratingly slowly this time around-and it's doubly frustrating since I didn't plan t have a c-section again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Ok ladies, anyone got any suggestions about what to do about the screaming??
Here's what I wish I'd have known from the beginning with my first, who had a nightly 3-5 hour "witching hour" every night as a newborn.

A good wrap-style carrier. Being wrapped skin-to-skin very firmly/securely helps my babies stop fussing and go right to sleep usually, especially if you're walking around the house with them.

Not putting them down. I find with my kiddos, if they're napping in the afternoon and I put them down, they're needier for touch in the evenings and often go on crying jags. If I just consider myself a "baby couch" all day long, an either hold or sling them or let someone else hold, very rarely putting them down, we don't get that long evening crying jag.

Finally, dairy in my diet was a culprit with my first, fussiest baby. He apparently had a dairy sensitivity - once I eliminated even trace amounts of dairy/casein/etc. from my diet, his fussiness greatly diminished. Some mothers find this with other foods like gluten or soy.

Hope something there helps!

Amy
Mom to Jody (7) Jaden (4) and Sawyer (5/07)
Old 05-30-2007, 02:16 PM

I have also had to cut all dairy - today is vegan day 3 Anyone want to suggest super easy to make with one hand while nursing and entertaining a 5 year old vegan recipes? Today was guac and chips, corn on the cob and black beans with lime water.

My breasts are enormous now also. Turns out not one of my bras really fits anymore. Ds was fussy yesterday and nursed all day long and by the time dh came home (9pm) he was like - wow! what happened! Turns out I grew about a cup size yesterday. All day today dh has been coming on to me

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I have also had to cut all dairy - today is vegan day 3 Anyone want to suggest super easy to make with one hand while nursing and entertaining a 5 year old vegan recipes? Today was guac and chips, corn on the cob and black beans with lime water.

All day today dh has been coming on to me
Easy vegan dinners... speghetti (premade sauce) with garlic bread. that's pretty much what we eat every other day (dh is cooking). you can add falafal, temphe or vegan burger grounds for protien.

dh has been coming onto me since we got home from the hossy. the sexual tension is getting to the both of us! 4 more weeks????!!! :

both dh and I dreampt we had another baby last night. I dreampt ds was only 7 months old when we had him! impossible, almost. I tried to convince myself that it was a girl, but it was really another boy. I sure hope that didnt scare dh into scheduling a V

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 05-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
dh has been coming onto me since we got home from the hossy. the sexual tension is getting to the both of us! 4 more weeks????!!! :
you don't really need to wait 6 weeks when you feel comfortable and probably when the bleeding has stopped or significantly slowed down its okay to have sex. The 6 week recomendation is a little outdated, now don't get me wrong I know a lot of moms who really hang on to that 6 weeks with no intercourse, because they really don't feel like it, but need an excuse to give their dh, which is totally cool. But if you are wanting to as much as him than go for it as soon as you feel ready

and on the topic of boobs mine are ginormous. I don't have any tops that fit, I had to go buy 3 t shirts in a large just so they would fit over my boobs. All of my nursing tanks are way to small (I have them from last baby) my dh keeps harrassing me to take a picture of my boobs, because as he says they'll never be this big again
Old 05-30-2007, 10:12 PM

ezra is coming out of his "newborn coma" and it's so wonderful to actually see his eyes! he has definite awake periods & it's becoming trickier to balance my days activities while holding a babe. but....he's been taking naps laying down. today he slept about 40 minutes in the morning, an hour & 1/2 in the afternoon & has been sleeping for almost an hour right now. how am i so fortunate?

why are we always so preoccupied with their sleep? i try not to be but when i have so much to accomplish during the day with a 4 & 2 year old i become focused on ezra sleeping so i can be hands free. i tried making dinner tonight with him in the sling but he wasn't having it! i finally gave up, sat down & nursed him for a few minutes & he knocked out. probably better this way because i was forced to relax for a sec.

i just love him to pieces! he is such a sweet little guy & i already can't imagine life without him. we waxed & waned about having a third child & i'm so thrilled that God decided for us (our little "oops!" ). 3 is our magic number, though. i longed to be pregnant again after both the girls but i have a beautiful peace about being done with this era of life. it feels good to "know" as opposed to always wondering "should we or shouldn't we?"

stephanie asl.gif

Old 05-31-2007, 08:08 AM

*waves*

just barely sliding into the may 07 thread here after an endless, anxious wait. we were expecting the baby the first week of may, and we finally got to meet him on the 29th! :-)

ds1 (2.5yo) is fascinated by ds2 and is always asking to hold him. nursing's going okay-- my milk is starting to come in. we have an appointment with the family doctor on friday, where we'll get some stats on the little guy-- unassisted birth and we don't own a scale, so we have no idea how much he weighs.

dh is home from work for the next month, and that man is worth his weight in gold! i'll be very sad when he has to go back to work.

i'm gonna try to catch some zzz's now.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
Old 05-31-2007, 10:53 AM

i am officially having the morning from HELL!
Dh went to work for the first time today since Nate came home
he walked out the door and hell broke loose. Nate puked everywhere. sammy was nursing at the time and refused to let go. I made him let go he got angry and punched me *WTH?* nate kept screaming sammy freaked out and my 9yo came out in clothes that dont fit to wear to school all within like 5 minutes

Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM

kittn

Today is my DH's first day back at work too and so far everything has gone okay, but I am having overwhelming anxiety for no good reason. I assume it is a postpartum thing but I hope it clears up soon, because I am spending all day feeling panicky and worried about.... nothing. It's really unpleasant. But, I did manage to get the two older kids off to preschool this morning and I think Gus and I are about to head to the library, because I'm out of reading material and you know a girl has to have SOMETHING to read during those marathon nursing sessions...
Old 05-31-2007, 12:13 PM

My dh returned to work on Tuesday and our first day sucked! Yesterday was much better. My 5 year old is homeschooled so it is the three of us, although this week I have been lining up some playdates so that Clay and I can nap while he has some fun. Next week will be even more solo! It is tough. I feel a little resentful because my dh is hardly having any changes from the baby (he is always asleep when dh is home, I wake at night to nurse, etc). He is doing everything he can and I know he would be home if he could, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed for sure!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, kttn. First day I was home with both kiddos the first thing N did was vomit ALL over his car seat - so I had a load of laundry to do (posted about that I thinik). Luckily we didn't have anywhere to go ... I don't know how you moms of 2 or more are doing it 5 days a week?! Dd is in preschool all day 2 days and this summer dh should be coming home at noon or 1 on Fridays! woohoo! I am trying to talk him into taking off one day a week during June and he's also working from home on Tuesday (DD isn't here, but it's nice to have an extra pair of hands so I can shower earlier or whatever). I am very lucky!

My goal today is to do some laundry and cleaning, maybe putting more decor up on the walls (we moved into this house March 1) and get to the library, too. I have been watching too much TV and surfing boards too much while nursing, need to another form of entertainment.

I think DS is starting with cradle cap (forehead & scalp are peely?) and baby acne (or reaction to the ice cream I had last night? couldn't come on so quickly ...). *sigh* I'll get out the olive oil & see if that does much for his skin.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

Old 05-31-2007, 02:29 PM

Gus definitely has the baby acne starting already. Hopefully it clears up soon.

Here's a question for the rest of you mamas: How long did the bright red bleeding last, postpartum? I can't remember from my previous two births but I want to say that by the 1-week point it had gone to a more brownish color. I am still having bright red bleeding -- not a lot, but some. I am more active this time than I was postpartum with the other two babies, so maybe that has something to do with it? Just wondering what everyone else has experienced.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:52 PM

JanB~ It's been 3+ weeks for me and if I go for a walk or am fairly active, I still get a little red bleeding.. I didn't bleed heavily for long, maybe 1 week tops, since then it's been a mix depending on my activity level, not the textbook red to brown to pink... HTH.

Grace Comes.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
JanB~ It's been 3+ weeks for me and if I go for a walk or am fairly active, I still get a little red bleeding.. I didn't bleed heavily for long, maybe 1 week tops, since then it's been a mix depending on my activity level, not the textbook red to brown to pink... HTH.
nak - pretty similar here, altho I bled heavier for more like 2 wks?

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

Old 05-31-2007, 05:40 PM

Hi ladies! Wow, this is a huge thread already....I just finally got caught up. Kylie is doing really well. She sleeps well at night and wakes up around 4am and had a bit of a on again off again nursing marathon until around 6am, but since I'm nursing her while lying in bed, I'm still able to sleep during her session, which is nice. Then she'll fall back asleep until Katelynn comes in to wake us up around 8:30 or so. I think the hardest thing for me right now is trying to give Katelynn enough attention. My mom was here for the first 9 days and was a completely lifesaver. She was on "Katelynn duty" pretty much the whole time and kept her nice and busy. But now that mom is gone and dh is back at work, I'm finding out how hard it is to entertain my dd1 all the time. I've had some serious feelings of guilt and sadness for her and all that I'm sure she is going through with the transition. Tandem nursing is hard. I knew it would be, but it's harder than I hoped. Sometimes I love nursing dd1, other times, I don't want her anywhere near my boobs. She gets really mad and grabby if I tell her that we can't nurse at that moment. And nursing them both at the same time is really taxing. I feel like I just want my body back for myself. But I know that it is the best thing for both of them right now, and I'm sure once the postpartum hormones regulate I'll be able to enjoy it more.

Nursing Kylie has been a lot easier from the get go. I wish I knew more about good latch when I first had Katelynn, I've hardly had any soreness at all this time around. And Kylie actually lets me put her down when she's asleep which is a totally foreign concept, but one that is very much appreciated, especially by dd1 who takes full advantage of mommy's empty arms.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 05-31-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
Hi ladies! But now that mom is gone and dh is back at work, I'm finding out how hard it is to entertain my dd1 all the time. I've had some serious feelings of guilt and sadness for her and all that I'm sure she is going through with the transition. Tandem nursing is hard. I knew it would be, but it's harder than I hoped. Sometimes I love nursing dd1, other times, I don't want her anywhere near my boobs. She gets really mad and grabby if I tell her that we can't nurse at that moment. And nursing them both at the same time is really taxing. I feel like I just want my body back for myself. But I know that it is the best thing for both of them right now, and I'm sure once the postpartum hormones regulate I'll be able to enjoy it more.
you just described my younger set to a T! sammy gets very angry when i tell him he cannot nurse every time he asks. i feel sad because my precious handful; sammy seems to be having a tough time. he doesnt act out towards the baby just everyone else. which at least the rest of us can defend ourselves

Old 05-31-2007, 06:43 PM

kudos to those of you tandem nursing! i weaned dd1 at 15 months (regretably) when i was 5 months pregnant. i really thought i would tandem but dd1 still nursed all night long & i was exhausted & couldn't imagine doing this with a newborn, too!? dd2 self-weaned at 25 months (again, when i was 5 months pregnant). so....i will never have the opportunity to tandem nurse but i have friends who have & still are doing it so i know how difficult it can be. hang in there, mamas! it really is fabulous for your kiddos!!!

stephanie asl.gif

Old 05-31-2007, 07:09 PM

Are other people crying - not like ppd or anything super serious - just crying and feeling drained and tired! I am. I feel kind of overwhelmed by 2.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Are other people crying - not like ppd or anything super serious - just crying and feeling drained and tired! I am. I feel kind of overwhelmed by 2.
i think i posted in the may board about this MSAX

yes. its a little better week 2 than week one.im totally overwhelmed by my four at the very least nathaniel and sammy. I dont know how the heck im going to handle it.im sure we will all figure it out right?!?!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post

User Tag List