Any other May '07 mama's lurking here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 663 Old 05-21-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there are a few ... just thought it's time to start a thread of our own.

How's bfing going? Pretty well here, but I do have a couple questions/things I'd like to discuss. No, I haven't talked to a LC yet. DS can get lazy with his latch - kinda sucking the nipple in rather than opening really wide and sometimes I have some soreness. Should I work to correct this or what? And are you doing one-sided feeding or switching and offering the second? How do you decide? I was doing one sided esp. since he was vomiting (yes, not just spit-up) once a day or so, but since that's better I am wondering if I should go to two sided at a feeding? I eventually did one sided all the time with DD, but don't remember when that started.

Well, that's a start!

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#2 of 663 Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 PM

Well I was technically due in Aprl but my babe came on May 11...so now I am a May mama.
BFing is going really well. I would definitely try to correct that shallow latch - it could cause you to get sore. DS is a little lazy about it too and we are working on it. As far as what side to use... I offer whatever side feels like its about to explode first. LOL DS nurses a lot less frequently than DD did ..she was a snacker but he goes about 3 hours so I get really full. I generally offer one side, burp/diaper change, then offer the other. Then at the next feeding I start off with the one we didnt start with before. So I just alternate a lot.
#3 of 663 Old 05-21-2007, 09:17 PM

I am lurking...

BFing is going great! I couldnt ask for a better sucker! He is only 5 days old, but he nurses almost non-stop. He also sleeps so well at night with hardly any fuss. We wake up to feed on a normal schedule, but he is so nice about it. He just gives me a little nudge at my breast and I help him get it in and it's back to sleep for the both of us! I was soooo worried about the lack of sleep issue!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#4 of 663 Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 PM

Question--how do you correct the not-so-great latch? I am pulling down his lower lip as the MW recommended, but I am still really sore on my left side and I think that this may be the problem. I have been giving only one breast per feeding since I feel like the nipples need a rest. The right side is sore too, but not nearly as bad as the left.

I try to lie down and feed at night, but I can't see how he's latching in the dark and he gets this frantic "bobble head" thing going when he can't get on right away. Breast feeding is harder than I thought it would be!
#5 of 663 Old 05-21-2007, 11:30 PM

yeah DS gets the bobble head too... lol... I can do it now, but when I first started nursing DD (I didnt nurse DS1) I couldnt nurse laying down for months. I dont know why - we just couldnt get the hang of it.

ANyway as far as opening wide, you can either do the lip tickle thing (which doesnt work for my ds) or when their mouth does open a little you can take the pinky finger of the hand that is holding your breast, and and kind of press down on their chin with it. And if he doesnt open wide enough, dont let him take it..I would always let DD latch on however she could because I felt bad and it was stressful but it ends up being so painful its not worth it.

Edited to add- since it is only on one side that you are having soreness, pay attention to the way you are holding the baby. Sometimes a slight difference in the way you hold makes a big difference in the way their head and body is positioned, and therefore their latch as well. I
#6 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

DS bobbles and mouths my nipple, too, at times, priming the milk? I'll work a bit on those techniques. Nips are not too sore, but a bit, esp. if he needs extra sucking time. Oh, I've been doing the boob-feeling too and starting the feeding on the fuller side.

#7 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the tips--you're right...it's not worth it to let DS latch on however he can get it--although at 4 a.m. it sometimes seems like it just might be! I will try the pinky thing--the tickle doesn't work for my DS, either. Best of luck to all!!
#8 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 PM

Hello all May mamas!!! I cant believe were holding our little babies in our arms now!
Things are going very well with dd... I am just so in love with her :
She is very easy and a great sleeper. She usually feeds every 4 hours at night and more often during the day. Her latch on the left side is great but the right is harder for her to get on (nipple might be smaller ).
She is 8 days old today and with each day going by so fast I'm a little sad. Some reason saying shes more then a week old is sad to me... I want her to stay this small for a while. Seeing my 3 1/2yr old ds with her just is too cute but it makes me realize how fast it does go by.
So how is everyone feeling??? My recovery has been great. I didnt tear or rip during delivery so the healing process has been great. Dh has taken all last week off and most of this week so I've just been able to lay around with the new one while he takes care of ds.
Life is just great! As a proud mommy I had to include pictures of dd... sorry couldnt help myself

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...f1/Ashlyn6.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...f1/Ashlyn7.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...f1/Ashlyn8.jpg

Mommy to Two
#9 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 03:12 PM

subbing...i am an april mama technically, but i belong here!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#10 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Hi fellow May Mamas My DD Cecilia aka Ceci was born on 5/5/07! I look forward to chatting with you all over here!!

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#11 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 03:44 PM

I'm here (saw your post in our DDC)

Bf'ing is going great, and I'm SO thankful. Bf'ing my [now] toddler early on was horrendous and I was so scared I was going to suffer like that again, but this little guy is giving me no problems at all! Minimal soreness, yay!

For now I usually only use one breast per feeding, just to ensure he gets the hindmilk. After burping he usually falls asleep, but if he needs more I try to offer the same breast, and then offer the other at the next real feeding. Seems to be working just fine.

He likes to cluster feed in the late evenings and then [generally] sleeps for 4+ hours at night (last night it was 7 hours!!! YAY!). I swear I must be the most well-rested mama with a newborn in the land!!!

E ~ Mostly-SAHM to 3 amazing boys (and another little guy still percolating, due 5/10)! :
#12 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiteLikeRain View Post
I'm here (saw your post in our DDC)

Bf'ing is going great, and I'm SO thankful. Bf'ing my [now] toddler early on was horrendous and I was so scared I was going to suffer like that again, but this little guy is giving me no problems at all! Minimal soreness, yay!

For now I usually only use one breast per feeding, just to ensure he gets the hindmilk. After burping he usually falls asleep, but if he needs more I try to offer the same breast, and then offer the other at the next real feeding. Seems to be working just fine.

He likes to cluster feed in the late evenings and then [generally] sleeps for 4+ hours at night (last night it was 7 hours!!! YAY!). I swear I must be the most well-rested mama with a newborn in the land!!!
7 hrs You lucky Mama Ceci sleeps 3-4 hrs at a time at night!

Julie (34)
Collector of TOYS!
#13 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM

I'm here too! Though technically I'm an April mama, I was supposed to be a May mama!

BFing is going great after some initial soreness. I usually offer only one side per feeding. Also, for night nursing I am sleeping with a nightlight so I can see how he's latching and he doesn't start to panic and cry when he can't latch on properly in the dark.

I'm super jealous of you mamas getting 3 or 4 (or 7!) hours of sleep at a stretch. DS has no mercy on me. Since he was born he's been up every hours mostly and then he wakes up completely for an hour or two at around 4am. We are actively trying to change this after an absolutely horrific night during which i got NO sleep at all, save for 2 hours at the beginning and 2 hours in the morning thanks to my mom and gran who came to my rescue and took DD (2 years old) and DS away to let me sleep. We've kept him up from 7pm to 10pm the past 2 nights and his sleep has greatly improved (meaning, I got one 3 hour stretch out of him and a couple 2's).

I feel really bad keeping him up though. The first night he did really well and didn't cry, but last night he cried for about 2 hours because he was so tired. It feels like the least AP thing I've ever done, but I also feel desperate and frustrated and if I don't keep him up he'll keep me up and then I can't handle my toddler during the day.

Sigh!
#14 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I'm lucky if DS sleeps more than 2.5 hours at a time at night - the night before last he was nursing every 2 hours, so I got several 1.5 hr ish naps thruout the night. WOOHOO! There were many nights the first 2 weeks where I got only 3 -4 hours of very interrupted sleep over a 10 hr span. : Luckily I've been able to get naps most days, but not since last Wed. now. OK, whining off.

I've decided to go back to one-sided feedings ...

#15 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 06:08 PM

i was a member of the may ddc (due 5/15), but dd was born 4/24, exactly 3 weeks to the day early!! i knew she would be early (had a feeling), and I KNOW my date of conception was 100% right

dd had a tongue tie and it was clipped by my mw the day after her birth. we had bf'ing problems... my heavy breasts fell out of dd mouth because she did not have a strong latch, she was early, and a lazy eater, i was new at this and had no idea how to fix things . thanks to my mw, who "held my hand", and my boob for the first 2 weeks, we are now bfing champs. i seriously was able to call my mw at 2 in the am, and she would come to me, or i would go to her (we live 5 min. from eachother), and she would take my boob and get dd to latch when i couldn't. i don't know what i would've done if i didn't have that support.

now that nursing is like second nature to us, dd can't get enough of it. she is sleeping for 3-4 hours at night, then wakes up for a meal, but during the day she's seemingly always latched on. it's fine, i love it, and feed from both sides at each feeding, changing her/playing with her before switching sides. she still gets a little lazy and falls asleep, then wakes up and wants to keep nursing, or she just wants to nurse for comfort (she won't pull milk down).

she likes to be held or nursed whenever she's not sleeping (most of the day), and i am tired a lot, but loving motherhood , and getting naps in when i can. i look at her and still can't believe i had a hand in making such a perfect little baby. i wanna go for another baby already!!! realistically, that wont happen for a few years from now, and that's a good thing
#16 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I guess we are members still of May since Maggie was born May 2nd. She is a sweetheart and a mellow baby. Unfortunately my recovery from the c-section was marred with a uterine infection and now Maggie has acid reflux. She has been miserable since Sunday night. I am not sure if its luck or not since my 4 boys had acid reflux from moderate to severe so we knew right away what was going on with her. She is now on zantact twice a day.

Heidi
#17 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liss_420 View Post
dd had a tongue tie and it was clipped by my mw the day after her birth. we had bf'ing problems... my heavy breasts fell out of dd mouth because she did not have a strong latch, she was early, and a lazy eater, i was new at this and had no idea how to fix things . thanks to my mw, who "held my hand", and my boob for the first 2 weeks, we are now bfing champs. i seriously was able to call my mw at 2 in the am, and she would come to me, or i would go to her (we live 5 min. from eachother), and she would take my boob and get dd to latch when i couldn't. i don't know what i would've done if i didn't have that support.

What an awesome mw. So glad you got the help you needed.

Heidi
#18 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 PM

I"m signing in here

Callum was born at 38 weeks on May 2nd ( seems like the full moon got a bunch of us )

he was a little guy but is putting on the pounds fast, at 2 weeks old he is a pound over his birth weight

he's kind of a crabby fellow if you put him down and something has happened to my back so I can't use the pouches and ring slings I bought so I"m kind of not getting anything done around here right now but oh well
#19 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 PM

Hey ladies!
So glad we started this thread- I can keep up with one thread at least

Akasha and I are doing great- she nurses very well. At 2 weeks, she has already gained almost 2 pounds! I also feed on 1 side at a time. We are sleeping wonderfully too... she gets up to feed 2-3x a night and it takes a couple hours of cluster feedings before we really settle in for the night, but other than that, we are averaging I would say about 8-9 hours of sleep a night. Thank goodness for the family bed! My heart goes out to you Mamas not getting enough sleep.

We've had a lot of support and I have healed up completely from my little tear. The body is amazing! I feel ready to get back to some kind of routine. I've been taking little small outings these last couple of days to parks... and we've been walking. I am ready for my self-imposed house arrest to be over, but honestly as a 1st time Mama, I feel so vunerable taking her out and about- any tips or suggestions? Using a pouch helps with her of course, but still everything just feels so akward.

How's diapering going?? I have fallen in love with those G-Diapers.. they rock.. you can just flush the liners down the toliet- it's the coolest thing really I still want to try to EC at least some but it seems so hard with these constant bf poops.. I mean she poops almost everytime she's fed, and not all at once so catching it would be difficult. I am just working on learning her cues.

OK sorry for the novel- I guess I really needed to talk. Thanks for starting this thread

Grace Comes.

#20 of 663 Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 PM

I'm here too! I've been lurking in here a bit, but hae been mostly sticking to my Tribe and keeping tabs on the May DDC a bit too in my "spare" time (which is sparse!!).

BFing is going well now. We have our issues, but nothing too bad. We're having similar altching issues to some of you. DD will latch properly MOST of the time, but she gets lazy sometimes and basically just lays there letting the milk drip into her mouth. It's somewhat cute, and not painful since she's not sucking, but just a bit strange I guess! Not sure what to do to correct it, or wether or not I should even bother. Any advice? We're also in the one-sided feeding club, but if we diaper after feeding and she's still hungry then I'll offer the other side.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#21 of 663 Old 05-23-2007, 12:13 AM

Kristen I have no words of wisdom for the latch. Let me know if you figure it out. Maggie does the same thing. Not all the time but about half the time she just prefer the milk to squirt in her milk. What has helped some what is for dh to take her for a little bit and then she is more then ready to latch on and nurse. Of course dh works so he is not always here so then I try to play with her. Most of the time she is up for it.

Heidi
#22 of 663 Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 AM

Good Morning Mamas

Hope you all had a semi goodnight sleep!

We are also in the one side feeding club and also Ceci clicks when she nurses, I have tried numerous things but nothing helps, what is going on? What should I do? I have never had a clicker before...LOL!

Julie (34)
Collector of TOYS!
#23 of 663 Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
im here now!
Nathaniel David was born May 20,2007
I got my pattern all set now so everyone in my family has a birth date match!

nate is doing wonderfully nursing. he seems to really be enjoying it and has a great latch. My milk came in sometime last night so now I look like dolly parton (at least from shoulder to hip) his poopy is finally switching over to that breastfed baby poop. thank goodness its so much easier to clean!

he isnt sleeping much at night but he has a good stretch early morning. then again hes barely 3 days old at this point

his collar bone seems to be healing well. he doesnt seem all that bothered by it unless we are changing his clothes

we have Nathaniel in prefolds and wool and I love it. he seems happy in them as well. so soft!
Sammy (2.5) is amazed with nathaniel and doing well with him. he did freak out at the thought that maybe Nate took his bed. we had just put nate in the bassinet and sammy asked where he was. we told him that Nathaniel was sleeping. Sammy flew into the bedroom to make sure Nate hadnt taken "his"bed that he never sleeps in anyway mind you

those of you having a tough time with your latch take the baby off everytime the latch gets messed up and relatch. it will work. any bad habits you esblish now will kick you later.
Im so proud of all of us!

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#24 of 663 Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin'Momto4 View Post
Good Morning Mamas

Hope you all had a semi goodnight sleep!

We are also in the one side feeding club and also Ceci clicks when she nurses, I have tried numerous things but nothing helps, what is going on? What should I do? I have never had a clicker before...LOL!
sometimes babies click when they have a a really high pallet. you can have your ped look at it.
more common though is that you produce a whole lot of milk and babe is having a hard time handling it.
Do you have alot of milk? does it let down fast? does the clicking happen after the letdown or before? if the baby lets go when your letting down do you spray milk? does the baby ever gag or sputter at the breast?

check out these links maybe they will help.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...n-nursing.html
hope this helps

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#25 of 663 Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, I've got a clicker and have an active let down - he stops after the flow lessens, a few minutes into the feeding. DD clicked, too.

Poor guy had a HUGE vomit (spewed a foot, I had him in the carseat, so the cover and his clothes and burp clothes, etc are all in the wash). He does this every 3 days or so, but this was probably the most volume buy far, had to be several ounces. Funny thing is, he's been hanging out alert and quiet for almost a half hour while I cleaned all the stuff up and jumped on here to further settle my nerves ... been teary a bit since yesterday afternoon ... *sigh*

#26 of 663 Old 05-24-2007, 12:08 AM

HUGS those hormones are something else. I was so hoping my hormone over load would go away once I gave birth.

I am so glad he only does it once every 3 days of vomiting. Maggie got her carseat yesterday too. It was so fun to clean up.

Heidi
#27 of 663 Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 AM

Hello ladies!! I just cant get over that our babes are finally in our arms... It seems like it went fast but took forever to get here.
I've been feeling really sad about Ashlyn getting older.. with each day flying by I know she'll be up and walking before I know it. She is 9 days today and my heart just aches that its going so fast. I had a lady ask me how old she was and it made my eyes water!! I want her to stay this little for a while!
I feel truly blessed that she is such a good baby.. eats, sleeps, and poops!

How is everyone doing with older children?? My ds is really good with her but I see some 'non listening' going on to get some attention... typical guy with selective hearing these days. My dh has been home all last week but has gone back to work and I'm just pooped! It takes a lot of work to have two and get anything done.. and shopping is really hard! We had to get a few grocery's today and it was a little overwhelming.

I'm also curious to see how everyones dh's are dealing with the new little one... I am completely a baby hog over here so hes lucky to even hold her at this point. The best part is that he's on big brother patrol and catering to me.. he is really good with getting me what I need and occupying ds. I feel a little spoiled @ night time when I can just ask for a glass of water and he'll get it or more diaper wipes... hope it doesn't end soon.

Well thats all on my side of things... I'm just enjoying our new little joy!

Mommy to Two
#28 of 663 Old 05-24-2007, 02:57 AM

Here I am! My new little girl arrived on May 10 (still have yet to post my birth story--I had the whole thing typed the other day not realizing the battery was about dead on my lap top and I lost the whole damn thing: ). I was so worried about breastfeeding because my first daughter and I were so unsuccessful at it (lack of support, ignorance, and bad advice) but it is going wonderfully this time! I had a serious case of sore nips due to improper latch but we seem to have corrected that and my nipples are finally healing. I am so happy--and I'm sure Avery has no complaints either! We are feeding one boob per feeding, I don't think she can fit anymore in her belly after 1.

She had her first pediatrician appointment last Friday (I love our new ped--he is very pro-BFing, organic foods, and doesn't care if I don't want to vax) and he was pleasantly surprised with how well she is doing. She gained close to a pound over what she left the hospital at. He was very interested in the fact that I had an unmedicated, completely natural waterbirth, and thinks that the way she entered the world has alot to do with how well she is doing (I wish all doctors were as cool as this guy).

At night she sleeps 4 hours, gets up to eat, and then goes back to sleep for another 4 hours. Thing is, this is usually between the hours of 3am and noon. Oh well, at least I'm getting some sleep. I feel pretty well rested for having a newborn.

My other dd is dealing with the new sibling just fine. She tries really hard to be helpful (well, as helpful as a 4 year-old can be), and hasn't really given me a hard time about anything. I wanted to freak out the other day though when her being helpful didn't actually help anything. I was giving the baby a spongebath in the bathroom and realized that I forgot to bring a diaper in there with me. So I asked Zoe to go get a diaper from our bedroom upstairs, and she brought me down the diaper pail instead. I sent her back upstairs, and then she brought me some wipes. Ok, close. She goes back upstairs, finally grabs a diaper, but by the time she comes back down with it, Avery has peed all over me. It is funny now but I was pissed initially.

Ahh...I love babymooning!
#29 of 663 Old 05-24-2007, 06:09 AM

We are here!

Shalom is nursing great, and is cuter every day, but boy are her nights confused with days. We are really struggling with that. Family bed makes it worse because I don't want to wake DS, but DD won;t stay asleep unless in my arms, and there isn't much room. Hopefully when shes a week or 2 older she'll go in the sidecar better.

I just got acupuncture for my back today and it was awesome!!! My back was sooooo bad, I couldn't sleep or lie down or anything. My friend Gina came to my house w/her table and fixed everything. I couldn't be more pleased!

I am glad to still have you mamas around... awww... I love you guys!
#30 of 663 Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 AM

dh is such a help here. he babies me, cooks and cleans and takes care of the older 3. he does get to hold muffin while I do school work or nap and honestly loves every chance he gets.

pepperdove. we are in the same boat here. Nathaniel sleeps well from 9am-2pm. sammy sleeps in his bed which is sidecar to ours but climbs in if he wakes. it's not too crowded but I want to sleep on my belly, just a little!

anyone here know about jaundice?
Nate is pretty orange. he is nursing well. pooping 5-10 a day and wetting as much. he has some VERY alert times and isnt overly sleepy,but his urine is dark. I dont remember this with the other 3. then again this is the first one that I have clothed from the get go (at least since getting home) so maybe I never noticed it?

one more questions for those of you with uncirc'd boys. I just wipe it right I dont need to "do" anything else do I?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page