You must help me with this poop problem. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously. It's making us all : He has the foulest poop and gas I have ever smelled. I'm talking, worse than my husband, worse than the worst of the worst. It's unbelievably nasty. He's EBF, zero solids, 6 1/2 months old. He had totally normal BF poop for the first few months, the seedy, mustardy stuff that smells kind of yeasty, like popcorn or bread, and then it started about a month ago. It increased in odor from mildly annoying to hilariously stinky to flat out nasty. I mean, seriously, and this is from a mom who loves the smell of poop and spit up when it's her own babies. It started to smell stinky at the same time he started going longer between poops, he was doing the normal 6-7 poops a day in the beginning, then down to 2 a day or so, now he poots often (like not too much, but enough so I know it's working down there in between poops), but only poops anywhere betweenonce every 2 days - 5 days.

I have noticed that his tummy is gurgly pretty often, but he never seems upset by it. I can feel it rumble and gurgle when I have my hands on it, it's not often, but it's regular. He was a "colicky" baby for the first 12 weeks, had RSV as a newborn, in the ICU for 3 days and he is delayed vaxed. I give him Hyland's teething tablets for pain every few days. I can't think of anything else.

I have not changed anything about my diet, haven't added or subtracted anything, no change in physical activity, I just can't think of a thing that has changed.

This is the longest post I've ever written about poop. But seriously, if it's just his thang, well, we can live with it, but I'm worried that it's a sign of some kind of reaction to something in my diet. And yes, I eat everything. I really don't want to start eliminating just to see what happens, unless you guys think it really might be a diary or some other intolerance.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, people, I know you can help. Please. Seriously, people think it's the dog.

Oh, and this morning, lots of gas, but no smell, yay!

Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniedb View Post
Okay, people, I know you can help. Please. Seriously, people think it's the dog.

Oh, and this morning, lots of gas, but no smell, yay!
You can try baby acidophilous. My DS' were really smelly and bad for about a month between 5 - 6 months or so. I think it could just be the gut maturing, but sometimes the flora can be off too. For the record, my boy's poops were several days apart too. (still are about every 2-3 days apart now at 9 months, but the poop doesn't stink like it did then).

good luck
Old 05-22-2007, 11:23 AM

We went through exactly what you are describing when my youngest was about 6 weeks old, and it lasted for around 2 months.....I was very concerned. She also had started going longer in between poops. Her ped. recommended Milk of Magnesia in a very small dose that I can't remember offhand, I did that only once, when she hadn't pooped in 10 days. The issue eventually resolved itself
Old 05-22-2007, 11:55 AM

That used to happen to DD when she'd get a bug. No other symptoms really, aside from a slightly stuffy nose.

Also, your babe's gut might be closing too which makes the poop change.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwainAtticus View Post
You can try baby acidophilous. My DS' were really smelly and bad for about a month between 5 - 6 months or so. I think it could just be the gut maturing, but sometimes the flora can be off too. For the record, my boy's poops were several days apart too. (still are about every 2-3 days apart now at 9 months, but the poop doesn't stink like it did then).

good luck
i agree!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 05-22-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

First, thank you so very much for your responses. Every one of them is helpful, and I wanted to just thank you for taking the time to help me.

-He has been stuffy and mucusy for a while, if I had to guess, roughly the same as he's been stinky-poo. Good point - I'll keep an eye out for the connection.

-Re: the acidophilus - it's funny, but right before I logged on this afternoon to check this, I took a capsule of some probiotics that I take on a fairly regular basis. It occured to me that I haven't been taking them in about a week, and in the last 2-3 days his gas hasn't been smelly. I'm wondering if perhaps he's getting *too* much acidophilus, so I am going to do a little experiment and see what happens. My older son always had yeast/gut/allergy problems, so I used a ton of probiotics and yogurt to help him through his issues, so I'm well-acquainted with the positive side, but I've never had to worry about doing it *too* much - so we'll see.

Again, I really appreciate it, and I will update if there is any poop news.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM

my first thought was yeast/probiotics too. Just a wild guess, though.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 PM

Curious, does it smell like rotten chickpeas? That's how our 5 month old boy poops smell. Horrid. And, I thought that breastfed baby poop was not supposed to smell. Hmmph!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 PM

Cultured vegetables, kefir and acidophilus in general are the best solution for that.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:04 AM

I agree with the yeast diagnosis. Do you or babe have thrush? This can get work it's way into the system and cause terribly foul gas. Definitley start babe on some probiotics and check mouth for thrush.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:39 AM

BTDT, my daughter ended up having a few allergies....took the allergens out of her diet and viola, normal poo again.

Probiotics are helpful, irregardless of why he is having gas, so definitely give him some for at least one month.

One thing that struck me in your post is you are giving him Hylands teething tablets every few days for pain (I'm assuming teething pain)...anyway, I'm a homeopathy student and it is my understanding that you if you give a remedy too often, you can actually prove it (cause and/or aggravate symptoms that the remedy is actually supposed to cure). So I'm pretty sure Chamomilla is in Hylands and Chamomilla cures green egg-stench stools. So, you might be proving the remedy on him. Stop the remedy for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 AM

the hylands is also in a lactose base, which can aggravate a severe (but not moderate) dairy allergy. (the allergy isn't to the lactose, but the lactose in the hylands can have traces of milk protein in it.)

the probiotics you are taking will not go through your breastmilk. babe needs his own, and they are really a good idea right now. his gut is probably closing, and probiotics will only support that. if you have even a sneaking suspicion that dairy is the problem, make sure to get a dairy free probiotic. most have traces of dairy. SolaRay makes a good one that is hard to find.

is the poo frothy and green? could it be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance?

i too suspect yeast. does he have any sort of rash anywhere? how's his tongue? white? pink?

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

Old 05-24-2007, 02:54 PM

My dd has had this since birth. I definitely recommend checking out the Healing the Gut forum and look into leaky gut syndrome

User Tag List