breast buds in 5 month-old baby girl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if it is normal for a 5 month-old, exclusively breast-fed infant to have breast buds. She had them right after she was born (a week or two after) and then they went away, but now they are back.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm NOT taking any birth-control or anything, and usually do not drink water from plastic bottles... I did go on a kind of tofu binge on Friday the 18th, could that be the cause?

thanks!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that's normal.
#3 of 10 Old 05-30-2007, 06:30 PM

seems like there might be hormones coming from something that might be getting through in the milk. i cant imagine that one togu binge would do i though. my dd had them for the first few weeks and then they went down, i do eat tofu probably almost once a day and hers havent come back. i might do a little more research if i were you...or see if your mw has any thoughts!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#4 of 10 Old 05-30-2007, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard it's normal too.....just the hormones coming from the Mommy through the milk.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#5 of 10 Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
seems like there might be hormones coming from something that might be getting through in the milk. i cant imagine that one togu binge would do i though. my dd had them for the first few weeks and then they went down, i do eat tofu probably almost once a day and hers havent come back. i might do a little more research if i were you...or see if your mw has any thoughts!

Yeah, I find it to be kind of weird, even if it is normal. I think this is common after a week or two of birth, but at this point she must be exposed to estrogen from somewhere (me?)...

edit:
apparently, one thing I've read that makes sense is that the baby's hormone producing system begins around 4 months and this can produce breast buds (but they shouldn't get larger, etc) and should fade or may remain until about 2 years when the body sort of reverses these developments. I don't think hormones should be coming through my milk in significant levels.
I have 2 older boys and never had to deal with this!

thanks for all your reassurance, though, mamas...

#6 of 10 Old 05-31-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
Yeah, I find it to be kind of weird, even if it is normal. I think this is common after a week or two of birth, but at this point she must be exposed to estrogen from somewhere (me?)...

edit:
apparently, one thing I've read that makes sense is that the baby's hormone producing system begins around 4 months and this can produce breast buds (but they shouldn't get larger, etc) and should fade or may remain until about 2 years when the body sort of reverses these developments. I don't think hormones should be coming through my milk in significant levels.
I have 2 older boys and never had to deal with this!

thanks for all your reassurance, though, mamas...
Boys can get the same... it is actually a 50/50 thing.... my newest son had it

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#7 of 10 Old 05-31-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
Boys can get the same... it is actually a 50/50 thing.... my newest son had it
My 5 month old DS still has his Man Boobs - the perfect compliment to his giant belly and rolly thighs. My doc says they usually subside within the first year.
#8 of 10 Old 05-31-2007, 01:55 PM

I joke that DD has more cleavage than I did pre-babe (though I've always been quite flat chested, so that's not saying too much). However, she also has chubby thighs and fat rolls on her belly and back. I adore her EBF baby chub. She's getting more and more active, so I know she'll be thinning out soon.

I never thought to call these "breast buds". We joke about man boobs on chubby baby boys too. Is it just baby chub?

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#9 of 10 Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage72380 View Post
I joke that DD has more cleavage than I did pre-babe (though I've always been quite flat chested, so that's not saying too much). However, she also has chubby thighs and fat rolls on her belly and back. I adore her EBF baby chub. She's getting more and more active, so I know she'll be thinning out soon.

I never thought to call these "breast buds". We joke about man boobs on chubby baby boys too. Is it just baby chub?

when I say that about my ds I mean not only chub (though at 29 1/2 pound at 6 months he is very chubby)... but he had milk also....

It is called Witches Milk or Galactorrhea
http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ract/140/3/252

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#10 of 10 Old 05-31-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

It is not just chub or fat, but rather an actual hard lump in her chest. Yes I am aware that boys can get them, too--but isn't this just when they are first born from the estrogen exposure in the womb?

For some reason because they appeared when she was newborn, then went away, and are now back at 5 months I though it must be for some other reason than the initial exposure of my hormones before birth...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page