Sticking out tongue? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mama's!

I just had a question. My DD is almost 4 months- she is healthy, alert and an overall very good baby. However, she is always sticking out her tongue. I was just curious to know if this is normal infant behaviour? She is EBF so does that have something to do with it? I know she will probably outgrow it in a few months but was interested in knowing about this from other mothers.

Thanks!
#2 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
believe or not that's a key sign that your baby is overstimulated. Kailey did this quite a bit until she was about 6 or 7 months old.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#3 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
believe or not that's a key sign that your baby is overstimulated. Kailey did this quite a bit until she was about 6 or 7 months old.
Wow! I never knew that. DD did this a lot as well when she was younger.
#4 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 09:33 AM

My first son loved to stick out his tongue in response to us doing it. And he wasn't overstimulated or anything. Just liked to do this new found trick! It actually became his way of telling someone he liked them later on. LOL.

My second son has never stuck his tongue out, although he started out with a short tongue (made latching on difficult, but we got through it). He *can* stick it out - there's no frenulum problem or anything. He just doesn't want to. Although if I move my tongue side-to-side, he'll sit there and move his tongue around, trying to mimic my tongue movement. Funny to watch.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM

Ds is almost 10mo and does it all the time. Dd did it too. I never heard of the overstimulation idea. I'll have to watch to see if it fits for ds. I think he does it just because he can. He knows that I'll stick mine back out and we make funny faces together and laugh.
#6 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 09:43 AM

My son LOVES it when you stick out your tongue at him.. and will fairly frequently respond by doing hte samething!! Its quite funny, really... he'll start to laugh, keep sticking his tounge out... and then get upset because he got (predictably the hiccups!! :
#7 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 AM

here's a link, look under stress signs

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#8 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM

i've never heard of it being a sign of over stimulation. my oldest and my youngest both did this as babies, always while smiling. it is the cutest thing ever and we call it "berry tongue" because their little tongues look like tiny strawberries. they always seem really happy when they do it?
#9 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don;t know about babies but I've been told that older children (ad adults) often stick thier tounges out when concentrating, especially on fine motor type things. Apparently sticking your tounge out reduces the ammout of brain power used to keep it under control in your mouth, thus freeing up the brain for whatever it is you are cencentrating on.
#10 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post
I don;t know about babies but I've been told that older children (ad adults) often stick thier tounges out when concentrating, especially on fine motor type things. Apparently sticking your tounge out reduces the ammout of brain power used to keep it under control in your mouth, thus freeing up the brain for whatever it is you are cencentrating on.
Hahaah!! Really?? My mom does this ALL the time, and I catch myself doing it sometimes too - esp. when sewing...

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#11 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 01:50 PM

I've heard that tongue sticking can be related to teething. They keep bringing their tongue out to feel the new bumps on their gums.

Seen any signs of teeth?
#12 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastyfeet View Post
I've heard that tongue sticking can be related to teething. They keep bringing their tongue out to feel the new bumps on their gums.

Seen any signs of teeth?
nak
ds does this all the time and is seriously teething.
#13 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Those are stress signs for a peemie, though. I'm not sure they would be the same for full-term healthy babies. Anyway, my DS did this a LOT from 2 weeks through about 10 weeks, at all times of day - even when first waking up, which kind of puts the lie to "stress sign." So, maybe it CAN be a stress sign, but doesn't mean that it always is. He's almost 14 weeks and doesn't do it much anymore.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#14 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Perhaps this is just a reference to premature babies...at least that's what I gather from the link. My daughter does it all the time....even at the least stimulating time...at night, in bed just chilling.
#15 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 PM

My ds seem to do it when he is hungry. Or maybe he is just trying to be cute.

for example:

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AbMWbNk5aNWLwQ

love.gif

#16 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 11:58 PM

My DD did this.. only because we taught her though. She would do it every time we did it.

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
#17 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
Perhaps this is just a reference to premature babies...at least that's what I gather from the link. My daughter does it all the time....even at the least stimulating time...at night, in bed just chilling.
Could just be a preemi thing, I don't have any experiencew/sticking out tongue and ft infants since my dd was a preemi. I can tell you tho when she did this, she also had a disressed look about her, and it was always when people were over, when she was tired, or out in public.

#18 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Banned

My 4 month old sticks her pointy little tongue out all the time and has since birth. I seriously doubt she's overstimulated since we never really do anything. Besides, she cries on the rare occasions she does get overstimulated.
#19 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 AM

my dd did this for a while (I think they do it around 4 mo) I think it as trying to taste life- ykwim? also we fostered some dogs last month and she started to stick out her tongue, and not put it back in! It was so funny because she totally was doing what the dogs were doing.

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#20 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 AM

I just realized that my son doesn't stick his tongue out!! Ah, for him to wake up from his nap, so I can teach him this new trick.
#21 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 AM

DD started doing this about 4.5 mos... she was using it like some sort of greeting... someone would say hi, and DD would smile and then stick out her tongue, which, of course, elicited laughs from the adult, so she kept doing it.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/254/5...b9341e97_b.jpg

Now at 5 mos, she just sticks out her tongue when she is trying to get ahold of an elusive toy (or cat)
#22 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 06:21 PM

My mom taught my DD how to do it when she was 7wks old! It was hilarious Here are a few pics.
Tongue 7wks
Tongue 7wks
Tongue 2mths

It became such a crazy thing that was special between my mom and her that she began greeting my mom by sticking her tongue out. Soo cute

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#23 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Oh my...DS is now 10.5 months and he has had his tongue out since he was two weeks old thanks to DH. Both he and DH communicate that way. The first thing he does when DH gets home is stick his tongue out at him.

2 weeks old

9 months old

Neeka - mom to DS-4 and wife to computer fanatic DH
#24 of 24 Old 06-02-2007, 06:30 AM

In many babies it's a sign of wanting to engage. I would take it as a cue that your baby is curious and interested in the world around her!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page