when to stop swaddling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wondering when people stop swaddling baby for naps and sleep, and if there are any developmental issues with swaddling (i.e. restricting their movement). My 3 month old is starting to learn to crawl and is VERY kicky at night, which makes co-sleeping difficult for mom. He also wakes himself during naps. We've only swaddled him the first few weeks and he sleeps very soundly when I'm wearing him, but I can't wear him as often as I did due to returning to work.

thanks.
#2 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 01:55 PM

swaddling just never worked for me...but i have a girlfriend who started doing it at 6 months (i think it was 6 mo. sometime there abouts) because her son would wake himself up by flailing. it seems to work really well for her.... he is a year old now and she still does it. it isn't super tight swaddling, just a little to restrain his arms from punching himself in the face while asleep.
#3 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 PM

My babe is 9 months old and we just recently stopped swaddling. But that's only because she has discovered the joy of tummy sleeping.

senior majikfaerie cult member
#4 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM

i swaddled dd2 until she was 6 months & all is well (she's 2.5 now).

stephanie asl.gif

#5 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 04:29 PM

We stopped swaddling at 4 weeks...B just would cry more when he was all bundled up. He seems to be hot natured.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#6 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 05:04 PM

We just stopped swaddling a couple of weeks ago and DD is 9 months. She wasn't tightly swaddled anymore, but we would wrap a large receiving blanket around her arms b/c she wouldn't sleep without it. I had tried periodically to put her down without swaddling and it never worked until one day I guess she was just ready and now she doesn't need it anymore.
#7 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 05:15 PM

We actually kept swaddling Kayleigh until she was about a year old. She seemed to need the restriction of her arm movement or else she would flail around and like a PP said, punch herself in her sleep. She still quite twitchy when she sleeps, but doesn't need swaddling now at 16ish months.

I've done it occasionaly though when she was very over tired and overstimulated.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
#8 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 10:56 PM

We stop when they can bust out of the blanket!

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#9 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 11:08 PM

We stopped when DD was 11 months. I was worried about it too, but when she was done with it, she was done for good.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#10 of 21 Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM

Different ages for different kids.

One of my babies HATED being swaddled from early on. I think he was only swaddled a few times. The oldest was probably about 9 months old.
#11 of 21 Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 AM

dd is 7 months. we still swaddle when we put her down for naps and bedtime. she needs it to calm her body. within 20 mins she is completely out of it and spread out.
as far as development i have read that a tight swaddle that doesn't allow dc's legs to be in froggy position isn't good for hip development.
we use the large swaddle me blanket and her legs are fine,able to froggy.
#12 of 21 Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 AM

I'm so glad I read this thread! Dd just recently started sleeping without getting swaddled at 9 months. I was beginning to feel it wasn't right to swaddle for so long but it was the only way she would sleep.

Mama to a 3.5 yo dd
#13 of 21 Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 AM

Where do you all get blankets big enough to swaddle past 3 or 4 months? I live in Phoenix, AZ, and it's hot, so it can't be a heavy blanket, and I've had a hard time finding something big enough. I got some jersey cloth from a fabric store and that worked for awhile, but now I need something bigger or some new technique. Any suggestions?:
#14 of 21 Old 06-04-2007, 08:41 AM

My DD just outgrew her large swaddleme blanket. She was 21lbs and 29inches at 7 months, and she's almost 8 months now. We stopped swaddling 2 nights ago and so far things are going well. I only swaddled her when I put her down without us since she started out in a snugglenest, once she woke up and moved out of the snugglenest and into bed with us, she was unswaddled.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#15 of 21 Old 06-04-2007, 10:19 AM

We stopped swaddling both ds2 and dd around 2 or 3 months because they didn't seem to really need it anymore, but I would certainly continue if it helped baby sleep better.
#16 of 21 Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchy View Post
Where do you all get blankets big enough to swaddle past 3 or 4 months? I live in Phoenix, AZ, and it's hot, so it can't be a heavy blanket, and I've had a hard time finding something big enough. I got some jersey cloth from a fabric store and that worked for awhile, but now I need something bigger or some new technique. Any suggestions?:
Ds is 4 months and LOVES to be swaddled. He is 20lbs and 27 inches long and we found these WONDERFUL blankets made by Aden & Anais (thanks Sarah!) they are made of a really light muslin material and they are quite large (not sure of the dimensions exactly). HTH.
#17 of 21 Old 06-04-2007, 05:02 PM

We stopped when "Little Houdini" aka DD was able to get her arms loose, about 5 months. She now wakes up on her tummy 6 times out of 10.

I still sometimes wrap her up in a large light blanket, to calm her down for her bedtime boob. She's almost 10 mos.

Mamma to Amelia (8/13/2006) Henry (7/28/2008), and Arthur (1/15/2011)
#18 of 21 Old 06-04-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
i'm planning on taking an old light cotton bed sheet and cutting large, square blankets out of it...DD gets hot easily it seems. Also, though she's only 4 weeks old, she's 22.5 inches long...too big for a regular recieving blanket.
#19 of 21 Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 AM

I went to the fabric store & found a lightweight/slightly stretchy material in the dance/gymnastics section. My mom hemmed it for me at 42" sqaure. It's huge, lightweight & cozy.
#20 of 21 Old 06-05-2007, 01:50 AM

I stopped swaddling when DS was around 2 months old. I liked swaddling him when he took naps because he would flail his arms in his sleep and wake himself up. After 2 months though, he stopped doing that and seemed to want more freedom to move.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#21 of 21 Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 AM

Quote:
I just use whatever receiving blanket is handy. Even small ones work for a quick loose swaddle (DS is nearly 10 months) if I need it for a nap. DS needed to be swaddled at night until about 7.5 or 8 months at least partially (started letting the left arm out and then eventually the right) - lots of arm flailing and face/ear/eye scratching.

Babies R Us Koala brand has a wide waffley blanket that we use, though I sometimes use a small Gerber square. One thing we stopped doing was folding down a corner and putting the head there and just started rolling length-wise.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page