POLL: When to turn carseat forward - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When will/did you turn your carseat to forward facing?
Before 12 months 7 11.67%
At 12 months 19 31.67%
13/14 months 9 15.00%
15/16 months 3 5.00%
17+ months 22 36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When did you/will turn your carseat forward facing? As ds nears a year and is already 20+lbs, I am wondering if I will go ahead and turn it around on his birthday or wait. Is it really that much better to have it rear facing? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our carseat goes rear facing to 35 pounds. We will keep dd in it until she is a full 35 pounds . My other two children hit that at abnout 2 2 1/2. My first two were turned around at 9 months or so because they met the weight requirments. I wish I had kept them rear facing longer. Live and learn. and yes., It is that much better.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 03:33 AM

I have to second lilyka. We turned DD1 around at about the same age (9 or 10 months) because she had hit the weight limit and was miserable rear-facing. She did much better, but we will leave DD2 rear-facing as long as possible. We just ordered two Britax Marathon seats, so it will keep DD2 RF 'til 30+ pounds. The longer RF they are, the safer they are. There's a thread here about crash tests done comparing RF vs FF with the RF dummies faring much better.
#4 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 04:11 AM

Although Abby will be a year in a couple of weeks, she is barely 17 pounds so she can't turn around anyway. BUT, even if she was 20 pounds, she will remain rear facing as long as she can. We have an Evenflo Triumph and it goes to 35lbs. It is safer for babies to be rearfacing.

Here is a link that I found helpful in deciding to keep her rearfacing and find a seat that would go up to 35lbs.

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

This is usually a hot topic so I am sure you will get lots of replies soon. I personally don't care if my baby will be happier facing forward. Yes, I love her and hate for her to be unhappy, but I would rather know she is in the safest position! Plus, since she hasn't ever been forward facing, she has no idea what she is missing.

My friend turned her son before he was a year because she was tired of him crying. She faced him forward even though I tried to convince her to keep in rear facing. She even bought a DVD player for him to keep him occupied. Guess what?? He still cries. Some babies just don't like to be restrained and by themselves back there.

Good luck in your decision!!
#5 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 12:22 PM

I will keep Aaron rear-facing at the very least until he is one, and as long thereafter as I am able. Unfortunately, our convertable seat has a 30-lb. limit rear-facing, and as he weighs almost 18 lbs. at 5 months, I'm thinking a year will be about the limit- but we'll wait and see.
#6 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Banned

We always heard don't turn it around until 1 year old and 20 pounds. Millie hit 20 pounds when she was 7 or 8 months old, but we were still going to wait until a year. However, we had to make a very long distance drive and leading up to that drive she began to hate her carseat. We thought maybe turning it around would make her feel better. It worked. I've heard that their internal organs aren't mature enough to withstand a forward facing crash until they're at least a year, though.
#7 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 06:39 PM

I voted before 12 mos by accident!! NEVER before 12 mos! NEVER NEVER! I thought the poll was about when to put them in the bigger carseat. (Wasn't paying attention, I know)
#8 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Banned

I turnt Sophie around in May, at 18 months. I did it because her long long legs were under her chin. I would rather have kept her rear facing from a safety perspective, her seat allowed for her to go to 35 lbs and she's 27, but Looooooooooooooooooooooooong.
#9 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 08:40 PM

Well, with DS#1, I turned him at 9 months, because he was 20lbs, and in 1996, there were no carseats available in my area that rearfaced past 20lbs.

With DS #2, he will be rearfacing as long as possible, he's 11 months now, I'm hoping he'll fit both weight and height wise in his seats(I have a Fisher Price Safe Embrace, and a Century Accel) until at least 18 months.
#10 of 27 Old 06-24-2003, 08:43 PM

shoshanna is 20.5 months and is still rear-facing. she's not quite 22 pounds, and i want her to stay rear-facing as long as she can. our seat is a britax roundabout and the weight limit is either 30 or 35 pounds.
people are starting to ask me why she is still rear-facing at almost 2, and i just say, it's safer. everyone i know turns the seat around at one year, some even earlier. if shosh is like her cousin, she may not hit 30 pounds until she's 4! but i'll turn her around before then, if that's what it looks like the case will be.
anyway, i'll keep her rear-facing as long as she fits.
#11 of 27 Old 06-25-2003, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to point out that you dan't have to pay mega bucks for a good carseat that goes up to 35#. we paid $35 for ours (on sale but still only $50 regularly). Doessn't have all the bells and whistles of the expensive ones but does the job and installed really easily.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 27 Old 06-25-2003, 12:01 PM

WE are planning to move Goo's seat around at 12 months. She's at the right weight and I feel that she wants to see the world from the oher direction.

I understand those who want to keep their child rear-facing.
#13 of 27 Old 06-25-2003, 12:10 PM

DD is almost 3, and is still rear facing. I had to buy a car seat that was rear facing till 35lbs, but safety and security is worth much more then the price we had to pay for a new car seat.
#14 of 27 Old 06-25-2003, 12:42 PM

I will turn her forward facing when she hits 20 lbs. She is now 8 months and barely 18lbs, so we have a bit to go. She's still in her infant seat at the moment. With my DS, I turned him forward facing at 8 months. I had gone to a carseat clinic, and the policeman checking the seats actually gave me $hit for having him still rear-facing, and didn't believe me when I told him that it's safer to stay rear-facing (this was in 2001, so it's not like it was that long ago!) Shows you he had no idea what the heck he was doing.
#15 of 27 Old 06-25-2003, 02:12 PM

After hearing about the safety issues, I had planned to keep DD rear facing as long as possible. However, she's always hated the carseat w/ a passion. Often, the only way I can keep her happy is to sit back there, lean over, and nurse her. Of course, when I have to drive, she usually has a meltdown b/c I just can't stretch my nipple far enough to reach her . I finally figured out that I could calm her by reaching my arm back and letting her hold my hand/fingers (so not comfortable!). Anyway, the other day we were switching the carseat to another car and decided to give foward facing a try. She was calm and happy the entire car trip!!!! I'm still very conflicted about keeping her foward facing, but I'm pleased that she's actually enjoying car trips now. More than likely I'll keep her foward facing. With any other kids, I'll keep them rear facing as long as they tolerate it.
#16 of 27 Old 06-25-2003, 07:01 PM

Just remember that with any convertible carseat EXCEPT Britax(and the Cosco Alpha Omega), the straps MUST be in the top slots when the seat is moved to forward facing. The lower slots are not reinforced for forward facing use, and should always only be used for rearfacing use

Mamastace, honestly, I can't see how the techs at that check had gone thru any of the NHTSA training. It is drilled thru your skull that you should NEVER forward face before 1 year of age, and the new curriculum says to rearface as long as possible(I took the training in 1999, and started to re-take it in Dec. 01, but had to drop out of class due to my oldest being sick). And, all the check up forms I've ever used point out that if the child is under 1 year, and forward facing, it is a mistake, and the parent isn't allowed to leave the check with the child installed in the seat that way.
#17 of 27 Old 06-25-2003, 07:25 PM

it is BEST to keep them rear facing.

if they are happy rear facing there is NO NEED to turn them around early!!!!! i'd keep them rear facing as long as the manual says it is safe. heck, id keep them rear facing until they are in highschool!

we turned him around early because he would FREAK out when he could not see me. he screamed as if you were beating him from the moment he was put in the car until the moment you took him out of the car.

it was very dangerous for me to drive with him screaming.

my car seat said it was OK to turn around at 20 pounds and before a year.

my doctor said that it was also ok. because alex was big and strong. he said that they say one year to encapsulate ALL babies even the small and premies.

we turned him around at like 11 months, maybe 10 months, but he was walking....well....etc. very sturdy with his muscles and strong.

you have to read the manual though, NOT ALL car seats are safe before a year AND 20 pounds. be sure what yours says before doing anything.

if he didn't cry he'd still be facing back

EDIT---
to nora B

I had same issues as you! im glad we did it early, but our doctor and manual said was ok.

another option. = earplugs you can wear when you drive, will keep the noise of the screaming to a minimum...or if summer you can roll down windows and that minimizes the noise of their screams...

i hated it. i was SO GLAD when he was able to enjoy the car. it will happen for you too
#18 of 27 Old 06-26-2003, 02:17 PM

My DD is 21 lbs and 14 months. She'll stay rear facing for as long as it's physically possible. Here are some helpful links.

Rear facing as long as possible
Carseat laws by state
Crash test videos (scroll to bottom)
#19 of 27 Old 06-26-2003, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I will keep him rearfacing as long as possible, since ds is okay with it. I may be kinda weird but I think it would be easier to strap him in as long as he is rear facing than if he were forward facing, plus I run around a lot with my mom & grandmother and so he loves sitting back there and playing with them. Thanks!
#20 of 27 Old 07-27-2003, 03:22 AM

I agree mamapixie, I really didn't question him too much, I was a bit stunned at the time I guess, and I assumed being a policeman he would know the rules. I just got the kids seats installed professionally again and this time by people who I made sure were certified!
#21 of 27 Old 07-27-2003, 04:17 PM

I'm keeping mine turned backwards as long as I can. He'll probably outgrow it as far as height is concerned before I want him to. He's 6 months old right now, and the outfit I have him in today is a 3T. He's just a hair under 25 pounds, but he's very tall.
#22 of 27 Old 07-28-2003, 09:18 AM

I didn't vote, because we still haven't decided. We have the Alpha Omega/ Eddie Bauer ( same seat), and dd is 21 lbs. & 30 " at 10 months. We have a smallish car (Hyundai Accent 4 -dr).
We were planning to turn her forward facing at a year, certain she would reach the weight requiremnet (at the safety clinic we were told 22 lbs min.), but also at the clinic, we were advised to keep her rear facing as long as possible, despite conerns of her legs being bent. My biggest problem is that it is extremely difficult to adjust the car seat straps in this position, so I wonder if it really is safer...
#23 of 27 Old 07-30-2003, 08:36 PM

I saw a thread here similar to this one several months ago that included a link that convinced me to face him rear as long as possible, i.e. as long as he doesn't exceed the weight/height limits for the Britax Roundabout we have.

Ds is now over 2y8mo and still facing rear, at just over 22lbs 33". His legs cross in front of him, which for kids is no biggie - they're much more flexible than we are. We have a mirror set up on the back of the car's seat so that he can see the driver and, when there are two adults in the car, one of us usually sits with him in the middle seat (we have a minivan).

Now, w/ baby #2 due any second, we had to figure out where to put the seats and where I should sit. If ds were facing forward, we'd put him in the back seat, w/ baby and I in the middle. However, ds is still facing rear, so he's still in the middle seat. The baby's seat is in the middle of the back seat w/ a mirror, and I've been sitting there when dh drives. I don't like the idea of baby#2 being so far away from me when I drive alone, but I'll plan my trips more efficiently/wait for dh when I can.

I wouldn't be surprised if the baby is in a convertible seat as well before ds is out of his (ds is tiny), so we may switch ds to forward-facing in the back seat at that time, as the Roundabout does not work in the middle of the back seat where there is only a lap belt. Or, we may buy a different convertible for him that will work rear-facing in the back and give the Roundabout to the baby. We'll see.

I don't know what we'll do if/when we have a third baby, as I don't think you're supposed to put two car seats in the middle seat - it's only seats two, and I can't sit in the middle of the back seat with only a lap belt. Maybe by that time we'll have a different minivan with separate seats in the middle and baby #3 will be in the middle of the back seat, with the other two in their own middle seats and me in the back.

What a book!
#24 of 27 Old 08-08-2003, 09:00 AM

I just wanted to add this link to the list of info on why it is critical to leave your toddler rear facing as long as possible. http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

I was able to turn my DD back rear facing for a couple of months last winter. I turned her front facing for good when she was 34 months old. I hope by the time DD2 is 2 years old, there are even more options so I can keep her rear facing to age 3!

Edited to add: Oops! I see that Sarah already posted that link. Oh, well. It really is a good one!

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#25 of 27 Old 08-10-2003, 04:01 PM

I didn't select an age on the poll because I intend to keep my child rear-facing until too tall/heavy to do so, and I don't know if that'll be at nine months or eighteen, etc.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#26 of 27 Old 08-10-2003, 08:48 PM

12 months AND 20 pounds. that is what health dept says. They run classes about car seats; and they install them and all that areound here.

But I do plan to do more reading.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#27 of 27 Old 08-10-2003, 11:06 PM

Here (Canada) the rules I was given by the Public Health Department are that baby must meet 2 of 3 criteria:

-20lbs
-1year
-Able to pull self to standing at furniture (by themselves, with no help).

He me the standing and 20lbs a month ago (7months), but we won't be moving the seat around until he goes over the 35lb limit on our seat.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page