So Tired, So Hungry, Won't Nurse, Won't Stop screaming HElp! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I have to type very fast. This has been going on for an hour. The poor Girl, It may not seem like much but when it involves tired screaming hunry babues and horu is too long.

So Alice ususally goes to bed about 7:30 - nurses to sleep. But at 7:30 when she gave me the signals that she was ready for bed She didn't latch on, she wold hungrily reah for it but then pull away screaming. We have been trying to nurse about every ten minutes and she does the same thing. She is so tired, she is so hungry but she just won't latch on. It has been a constant cry fest since she first started telling me she was tried an hour ago. I feel so bad for the little girl. I have been rocking, holding singing songs, I won't let her out of sight, I don't want her to CIO, she doesn't want to CIO, but she wont stop crying. at the moment she is my lap crying.

I am all set to wait it out but as I start thinking about wht might be causing thia I realize that about 7 she got a hold of a pencil and ate chunks off the eraser.. do you think that might be lodged somewhere causing her problems. I just can't think of anything else.

she is normally a really good nurswr. Latches on, never ;chews' I just can't think of what it could be.

It too late to call her doc, or anyone I can think of and DH is at work

Help!

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 12:55 AM

OK, I don't see how old she is but since she is big enough to grab hold of a pencil and chew off the eraser I am thinking at least a year old, right?

The pieces of eraser will pass and should be non-toxic. Is there a nurseline through the hospital that you can call or a poisen control hotline for your peace of mind? The hospital should have those numbers.

So if she is chewing and not nursing well is she also teething? Do you have any remedies for that around?

How about a bath to calm her and yourself down? You can get in together with some soft music and dim lights.

Is she having a bit of reflux or tummy ache? Then a bath should be calming.

Oh, look in her teeth and see if a bit of eraser got stuck and wedged in there. That could be really painful. Try a bit of dental floss or soft toothbrush to dislodge anything. Don't dig though cause gums are tender.

That's all I can think of right now. Hang in there. My husband works nights too and if anything can go wrong then it happens at night.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 AM

Oh mama, (((((hugs)))))

Could she have a sore throat?

Is she teething?

Might she have an earache or something?

Have you tried putting her in a carrier and walking around outside?

There could be a million reasons why, what does your gut say?

She could have a tummy ache from the eraser?

Occassionally my little ones have done this with no explanation too.

Hope the two of you get some sleep soon. ((((((good vibes)))))
Old 06-07-2007, 01:00 AM

i am sitting here with my dd on my back in a mai tei who was doing the same exact thing as yours! when she gets sooo tired, she won't nurse and it is insane. so i put her on my back and go on the bouncy ball (though today it was the treadmill that worked). then when she is finally reall asleep, i will lay her down in bed and nurse her while she is still asleep. i also had to cut out dairy...i don't know if this helps, but i sure know what you are going through!!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well I finally got her to sleep - I hope it sticks lol we had to take a walk 9Quite a feat considering it is 45 degrees f tonight, eat grahm crackers, play with the dogs, and take a bath, but it finally took.

I was just so shocked at her behavior as she hadn't acted like this since she was about 4 months (she is 10 months btw) Normally I am cool with just parenting her through it and loving her until she calms down, but this time I got worried..

Oh well at least I am not :

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

Old 06-07-2007, 02:28 AM

After three babies of my own, and two as a nanny before that, I've learned that my first thing to try for sudden, unexplained, serious crying is to strip them naked. There have been a number of times that a diaper was pinching or toe is stuck in elastic of footie pjs or tag is hurting or something like that.

If they've recently had a cold, that can go to an ear infection - I always knew we had that problem when mine wouldn't sleep, as they usually were good sleepers.

Teething is always a possibility. Rub the gums with your finger (run it under cold water for a minute first) and see if that seems to help at all.

And definitely figure out a nurse helpline that you can call 24/7 for future issues that come up. Our local (well, 30 minutes away) Children's Hospital has one. Your pediatrician should also have a 24 hour answering service so you can call and reach a person who then calls the doc for a return call. But I usually run it past Grammy first - she is my first call for kid stuff.

Glad she is ok now.

User Tag List