Why does my newborn have red/bloodshot eyes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
He was jaundiced, but it's pretty much cleared up, but now every once in a while I notice that the one corner of his eye is really red and bloodshot. What could this be?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2nd ds had bloodshot eyes for a while, it took a few weeks for his eyes to Fully clear up if I remember right... I don't really know why exactly, I think it had something to do with the birth. I am sure someone else could be more helpful.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 06-07-2007, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

I was reading that too, but he's almost six weeks now. I notice it right when he's pitching a fit, but I don't know if it's causal.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Just one spot in one eye? Bea had this too. They told me it was from excessive pressure during the birth (I swear I wasn't kegelling! ). It did clear up... I don't know when. She still had it at her shower and that was at 1 mo. Probably not too long after that.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, the inner corner of his right eye. I wouldn't worry too much except he doesn't have a well baby visit til the end of June and I wasn't even sure if we were going to keep that one.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:49 AM

My youngest dd had this for the first month or so of her life-the Dr. at the hospital said hers was a scleral hemorrhage caused by the birth, and that it would clear up on its own, which it did.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 AM

Yes, it is from the pressure of being pushed through the birth canal; DS#2 had it for the first 3 weeks.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:43 AM

he's drunk on your milky love :
Old 06-08-2007, 01:53 AM

being born is hard work. My guy looked like a he'd been in a prize fight for quite a while just from being pushed down in the birth canal for such a long time. I guess if you're really worried you could ask your ped.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
he's drunk on your milky love :
You made me laugh the baby off the boob. !

He did have a tough time coming out, so I'm guessing that could be it (even though 6 weeks seems long to me)

User Tag List