How did you start solids? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How did you start solids?
Did you offer purees first? 19 86.36%
Did you wait until they were old enough for finger foods? 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-24-2003, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I admit. I started with puree and now I have backed off and want to wait until they can handle finger foods. Which did you do?
#2 of 12 Old 06-24-2003, 11:23 PM

1st baby...didn't know it was possible to go straight to finger foods....so she got purees....next one will be doing finger foods.
#3 of 12 Old 06-25-2003, 01:36 AM

DD won't eat anything I put near her mouth but she actually ingested 5 or so grains of rice she stole off my plate the other day. i think we're waiting for finger foods.
Lauren
#4 of 12 Old 06-25-2003, 01:45 AM

I have started with purees (fork-mashed). My 5-month-old DD is enjoying her lumpy bananas and avocados!

Cathy
#5 of 12 Old 06-25-2003, 01:47 AM

IMO, there is nothing wrong w/ either approach. Whatever works for baby (and mom) is fine. My ds was interested and ready to eat at a little before 6mos. so we went ahead w/ the purees. I'm hoping my next baby is the same because I really like feeding those purees, lol... I know I'm weird. I'm sure it is a lot easier to go to just finger foods - and that's great too, but I like doing babyfood. But, that's just me.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#6 of 12 Old 06-25-2003, 01:52 AM

I voted that we offered purees, which we did. But she hated them, lol. She really didn't start eating until she could eat foods with more texture to them. She still doesn't do finger foods well - they end up on the floor, lol. Except bread products and crackers which she loves to feed herself. Everything else is either on a spoon or via chopsticks (very handy for feeding babies, btw!), but she eats everything and loves peas, corn, beans, lentils, tofu, onions, you name it! Nothing pureed, either.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#7 of 12 Old 06-25-2003, 04:19 AM

I was going to wait til 6 months but.....I tried homemade pureed peaches this past week and she loves 'em. Plus I froze some and held a frozen cube for her to teeth on, it was perfect. I am taking it real slow, I feel no need to hurry.
#8 of 12 Old 06-25-2003, 11:19 PM

We started with some rice cereal here and there, then a few pureed bananas and apples, but never did anything daily. Now, ds is 9m and still exclusively bf, but gets a token piece of fruit or veggie every so often. He's starting to become much more interested in eating what he sees us eating, so I guessed it was time to try more things.
#9 of 12 Old 07-27-2003, 01:21 AM

We started with purees. Now at almost 9 months DS can handle a little texture, and will only eat finger foods that will just mush up in his mouth. He loves his food but hates texture.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#10 of 12 Old 07-27-2003, 11:11 AM

I did the whole Super Baby Food thing. We started with fork mashed bananas. I also pureed. His favorite pureed food was mango. It was fun. Especially delving into the nutritional aspect, which foods provide what specific vitamin etc.

~Laura
#11 of 12 Old 07-27-2003, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sarahmae1
I'm sure it is a lot easier to go to just finger foods
Oh, I don't think so. If they ate purees, I could get jars and go. But I have to prepare baby meals just like grown up meals so to me it takes a lot of time.

I know most people like to make their own food, but with twins, I would go jarred in a heartbeat just to save time.
#12 of 12 Old 07-29-2003, 11:52 PM

We started letting Ella taste some solids and some purees at 9 1/2 months and now at almost 11 months she will nibble here and there but she doesn't really like anything very much. Her favorite food is frozen peas, and she will only eat a few. But that's fine with us I guess she will eat when she is ready.
Stephenie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page