A sore under the fat rolls - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 3 week son is a hefty guy, and today I noticed he has a tiny sore under his neck, underneath all the fat rolls. What should I do about it? Some sort of ointment?
#2 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Id say 1)wash 2) neosporin type ointment. The ointment probably isnt necessary but since it is in such a dark warm place i'd do it anyway. I would definitely keep an eye to make sure that it heals quickly and he isnt getting any more. Then maybe a powder in the folds might help. baby powder, cornstarch or something talc free depending on your pref.
#3 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 10:47 PM

One of my girls use to get them under her chin, in between her fat rolls too. I would put neosporin on it and then after every bath or bottle I would make sure to dry under it..

I wouldnt put baby powder on it just b/c it is so close to his face and if you read the label it says not to let the baby breathe it b/c it can cause respitory problems. Just make sure to keep it dry and you shoudnt have anymore problems.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#4 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM

Make sure you dry it well. You can also put diaper creme on too. If that doesn't clea it up, it might be yeasty and require something to treat yeast.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt put baby powder on it just b/c it is so close to his face and if you read the label it says not to let the baby breathe it b/c it can cause respitory problems.
This applies to shaking it into your hand and then onto the baby, it doesn't mean that it can't be on the baby's neck or something. The applied product is ok, clouds of it around baby's face are not.

Though I would not use ANY powder. No matter how fine it is, it is still abrasive. I wouldn't put it on a sore. Take extra special care to dry it often -- after baths, feedings, sweating, whatever could cause some dampness. It might be yeast now or it could turn into yeast. Not like that's HORRIBLE, just a pain in the tush and irritating for baby.
#6 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 PM

I'm having a similar problem- not a sore really, but a wet, red, irritated-looking area under her 'chins'. It's hot here now, and she sweats, I try to keep it dry, but I have to tilt her head back and pull up on her 'chins' to seperate them from her neck...sigh..
I put powder on it the other day and it seemed to absorb any wetness, helping to keep it dry. I was also wondering about cream, but thought that might encourage the problem.
No help, sorry!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page