laundering breastmilk-soaked clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-28-2003, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what is the best way (temperature? detergent? etc?) to launder breastmilk-soaked stuff? I remember staining my clothes last time I was in this boat...and it felt like I set the stains in the wash. (That was also hard well water and we have softer water now so maybe that is factor? Haven't done my first wash yet since milk came in.)
#2 of 9 Old 06-28-2003, 01:38 PM

I never had breastmilk stain anything. Hmmm. For stains in general, the first thing would be to do a cold prewash, or just run the spot under cold water, as hot water initially can set stains. Then launder on hot or warm with a strong detergent like Tide. (I keep a small box of this for diapers and stuff like this.) Check them before they go into the dryer. You can do a soak with oxyclean if they persist.
#3 of 9 Old 06-28-2003, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

maybe it was the hard water that somehow set the stains, and hopefully I'll be okay withour new home's water. Thanks for the ideas.
#4 of 9 Old 06-28-2003, 03:06 PM

yeah, i've never had a stain either in 20.5 months, and we soaked sheets with milk in addition to clothes! i just did regular wash cycles like i always do.
#5 of 9 Old 06-28-2003, 03:24 PM

I'm having the same problem.. my babe is 7 weeks old and i have ruined a fair amount of tops. I try and just wear older clothes around the house but it seems every time i wear something nice it gets stained. I had no idea breastmilk would stain! Maybe it's the fats in the milk or something and some of us have more or less??!
On a similer topic has anyone heard of or tried "lilypadz" ? They are breast pads that are made of silicone i think and they adhear to the breast and prevent leaks. I saw them online, $20. a pair though! I need to try something different cuz i soak right through all the others...
#6 of 9 Old 06-28-2003, 03:41 PM

My milk is finally calming down, but I noticed 'stains' a few times. They came out by the next wash, but I didn't like it!

I've just switched back to Tide from my cheapo detergent hoping that will help with this problem and the weird smell my diapers were getting.
#7 of 9 Old 06-28-2003, 04:04 PM

I've had phantom stains. Ones that didn't show up till the clothes were in storage and I brought them out later. Usually a regular wash would get them out, though! I would think an enzyme bleach or detergent with enzymes would break down milk stains the best. Biz is an enzyme bleach. It will fade some colored items, though, so be careful.
I've also had blood in my milk from cracked nipples and Caden has puked up pink milk. That could really stain. Cold water rinse/wash and then enzyme cleaners with warm water to get out whatever won't come out.
#8 of 9 Old 07-09-2003, 07:36 PM

avakitty-

I'm going to buy a pair of lilypadz, I just need something to keep my shirt from getting wet when my milk lets down when he's eating.

Jodi at BlessUBaby will be offering a co-op on these if there's enough interest (probably $13/pair + shipping) but I'm not sure how long it will take. Join her yahoogroup for more details!
#9 of 9 Old 07-10-2003, 04:17 AM

I've never had breastmilk stain anything either so maybe it was the hard water??
But I tell you, I was taught to use hydrogen peroxide (just straight out of the bottle) on body fluid stains (blood, baby poop, etc.) and it is amazing how that works!! Pour it on, let it sit a bit (or overnight) then wash. Warm water with a cold rinse. I use Tide powdered degergent. If it doesn't come out the first time, DON'T dry in dryer - just try washing again after resoaking in HP. Really inexpensive too.
Hope this helps.
Kirsten

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page