How tall is your crib? Can a baby strangle himself on the rails? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a question about cribs. It says that the mattress support at it's lowest setting to the top rail should be at least 26 inches, which is what ours is for our twins. My 14 month old ds just learned to stand up and he is so tall in the crib that he stands in the middle of the crib and leans against the rail with his armpits over the side and can't get down. When he gets tired he lays his neck and chin down over it. He is at such an angle that he can't push himself up and if his legs gave out he would just hang there by his armpits. He has been sleeping good until two days ago....he got up at 1:30 this morning and wouldn't go back to sleep, as soon as I lay him down he stands back up. Normally I would just leave him and he would fall asleep but I'm worried that he might choke himself. I have a camera in the room so I can see him. Do they make cribs that have higher railings? What height is yours? We don't have that much extra money because I am a SAHM. They say if they can get their head and neck over the railing they are too tall, but my son can't walk or climb off a toddler bed yet and I don't want to have to buy a new crib just for a year. Any suggestions? He's only 14 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Bring him in your bed.

-Angela
#3 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Bring him in your bed.

-Angela
: Safer for SO many reasons...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#4 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Another, we don't use a crib.

They sleep on a mattress on the floor, a toddler bed or with one of their sibblings. Babies sleep in our room either in our bed or in a bassinet right next to me.
#5 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I can't bring him to my bed.....any noise he makes in my room wakes up his twin sis who is in the room next to me (our walls are paper thin), she hears me if I climb out of bed, even with her music and waterfall static on in the hallway.
#6 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 04:59 PM

Then move your bed into his room to sleep with him.

-Angela
#7 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 05:04 PM

Have you looked into getting a crib tent?
#8 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennasmom View Post
Have you looked into getting a crib tent?
I think crib tents should be banned. I think they are cruel and dangerous and inhumane. I would not ever put a child of mine in a cage like that.

-Angela
#9 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Oh my, the crib tent again...where are we?

Seriously, when the crib becomes a hazard or they can climb out it's time for a bed, plain and simple. Teach him how to get off a toddler bed. They are not high. Kids are smart, show them a couple times and they will learn!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#10 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Oh my, the crib tent again...where are we?

Seriously, when the crib becomes a hazard or they can climb out it's time for a bed, plain and simple. Teach him how to get off a toddler bed. They are not high. Kids are smart, show them a couple times and they will learn!
:

-Angela
#11 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To answer the OP, I don't believe a baby could strangle themselves on the crib. If I were you, though, I would take a look at the crib and be sure the mattress was at its lowest setting. If I still wasn't comfortable, I would put the mattress on the floor. But I would be a lot more worried about a child getting caught up in a crib tent than strangling on the side of a crib.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#12 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 08:25 PM

All three of mine slept in cribs and never strangled. I even used bumpers! I did move my 18 month old to a bed with safety rails when she started climbing out of the crib. Since he is already used to sleeping by himself and if you like it that way, I wouldn't change his sleeping arrangements now (except maybe move him to a bed). He will probably get tired of standing up in his crib and start sleeping well again. They go through stages and they don't usually last long.
#13 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Crib "tents" are beyond gross, I agree - they should be banned. What a way to send a message to a kid!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#14 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

Eee gads
#15 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Then move your bed into his room to sleep with him.

-Angela
i think this could be a good idea...maybe rearranging the rooms that you are using to sleep in. maybe his sister could take his room, so that you wouldn't have to worry about her waking up.
you can always switch back when the time is right.
my aunt co-slept with her family on and off for years. i remember going to my cousins house and noticing that although there were two kids rooms, neither room was specifically my girl cousin or my boy cousins. there were beds in both, and their toys and other belongings went back and forth. they slept with mom and dad in the big bed whenever they wanted, and they could sleep in their own rooms, whichever one of the two they wanted, whenever they wanted. looking back, i think that was such an awesome idea. they had the closest, most peaceful family i have ever known.
my auntie passed away when her daughter was 16 and her son was 18...i sometimes think that she was so unconcerned about getting her children in their own rooms because on a subconcious level she realized that she only had a limited time with them. i think that her children are blessed that they were raised in such a loving and relaxed home.
i don't mean to say that this would work for you or anyone else, i just really admire my auntie for her parenting style and thought i would share what she did with you guys.
i don't think it is extremely important for anyone to have there own room. i think its important to have privacy when you need it, yes, but i don't think its important WHERE. anyway, thats a whole different topic...sorry i am getting off subject.
#16 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 09:13 PM

I'm not really sure how he would strangle himself like that. But I agree with the no crib tent votes. Also, check your crib, most of them convert to toddler beds these days. You might not have to spend a dime. Just teach him how to get down, and if you're worried about him rolling off in his sleep there is always a bed rail. It doesn't go across the whole bed so if he needs to get out he can without any issues.

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#17 of 65 Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 PM

what is a crib tent? never heard of that before... why is it dangerous? we are going to bwe sleeping under anti-malaria tents for a month while travelling, wondering what safety issues i have to look out for... lo is 5 months thanks
#18 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 12:59 AM

Crib tent

I suppose it's for babies who can climb out of cribs, to restrain them from doing so, but I always heard, even from my mainstream CIO loving, formula loving, spanker friends/family that when the baby can climb out of the crib with the mattress as low as possible, they are too big for the crib.

Mosquito nets don't cage in your child.
#19 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 01:21 AM

I don't see how your son could strangle himself in this way at all. Try not to worry about it. If his legs gave out and he didn't sink down his arms would support him and if his arms gave out he would sink down. Even if he didn't his neck is not caught and is not supporting his weight and he wouldn't strangle. I'm such a worrier about this sort of thing and I wouldn't worry about this. I think this is a phase that will pass and if he is happy in his present sleeping arrangements and normally sleeps well I wouldn't change a thing.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#20 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 01:42 AM

i would get a big king size mattress and put in on the floor, bring both kids to bed w/me and be done w/it...
#21 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 04:48 AM

BABIES CAN GET STRANGLED BY CRIBS!!!! NOT JUST THE OLDER ONES!!!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...47/detail.html

Google has tons more articles about babies getting strangled by their cribs
#22 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 AM

Wow, I've never heard of people using crib tents to "cage" their kids. I thought they were used to keep the family cat from jumping into the crib and snuggling up against little babes or to stop toddlers from tossing choking hazards into the crib. Shows you what I know
#23 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 08:20 AM

I don't have twins, so would someone please enlighten me. This DS has a twin DS. Why are they in seperate rooms? Is DW sleeping in the room with DS and DH sleeping in the room with DD? She has her own crib as well, but doesn't have the same problem leaning over it? I am confused here.

Regarding the original issue - if you don't want him sleeping with you, use a toddlers bed or a mattress on the floor.
#24 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
BABIES CAN GET STRANGLED BY CRIBS!!!! NOT JUST THE OLDER ONES!!!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...47/detail.html

Google has tons more articles about babies getting strangled by their cribs
Well, I think we were all working under the assumption that the OP's crib was properly constructed and in good repair. Every article I could google talked about something being wrong with the crib, like it being too old and not up to modern standards, or parents not following common-sense safety rules.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#25 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastomom View Post
Wow, I've never heard of people using crib tents to "cage" their kids. I thought they were used to keep the family cat from jumping into the crib and snuggling up against little babes or to stop toddlers from tossing choking hazards into the crib. Shows you what I know
My cats have always slept with my babies. I don't see it as an undesirable thing.

#26 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastomom View Post
"Help prevent your child from being injured by falling out of the crib as well as unattended wandering by using this safe, easy to install, crib tent." That's quoted directly from the website advertisement. Nothing about cats and choking hazards. Made and marketed as a tool to restrain a child inside a crib.
#27 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 02:58 PM

crib tents are also used to keep cats out and the box i saw had a cat trying to get into the crib so maybe there are different brands.

sheesh.
#28 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 03:00 PM

Who cares the REASON it's manufactured? It's a nasty thing to do. Period. Confining a baby like that? YUCK! :

#29 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
My cats have always slept with my babies. I don't see it as an undesirable thing.
An old wivestale says that cats suck the breathe out of babies. I had the worst time not laughing when somebody told me that. Poor Grandma believed it
#30 of 65 Old 06-24-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owachi View Post
I can't bring him to my bed.....any noise he makes in my room wakes up his twin sis who is in the room next to me (our walls are paper thin), she hears me if I climb out of bed, even with her music and waterfall static on in the hallway.
Have you tried a loud air filter? We have one in our room and you can't hear a thing outside of it.

I have to agree with the pp's, bring dc in your bed. The only purpose our crib has ever served is toy/stuffed animal/blanket storage.

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10

User Tag List