belly button in newborn looks....open? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-24-2007, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kind of hard to describe.. there's always a little dried crusy blood around it and when I clean it and look inside, it looks like and outie on the inside, like a slight bump that's flesh colored and wet looking and shiny, it just doesn't look CLOSED to me. I think the stump was snagged on clothing because it detatched (more like was pulled off?) only after a couple days, it never even dried up all the way. DD's at this age looked, well, like mine does now. getting narrower inside and you cant see anything in there, it's so tight and closed looking. DS's just looks open, and it looks like something's in there. It cant be his "insides" im seeing, can it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-24-2007, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is granulation tissue and normal. It is not an organ or the inside of his/her body, just a different kind of wound healing tissue. It should heal over eventually. if it doesn't it should be treated in toddlerhood. I read a study recently that showed that a saline bath (a weak salt water bath) twice a day for one week healed them as well as silver nitrate (a substance that kinda burns it healed). Just keep it as dry as you can and it should take care of itself.
#3 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 12:23 AM

DD had this and it went away by 3 months or so. I wouldn't worry so long as it's not bleeding, really oozing, or smelling funky.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#4 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 12:40 AM

ds did this, the doc put silver nitrate on it and it healed in a week...i guess it doesn't huet b/c he didn't even make a face!
#5 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 02:34 AM

We had the same thing happen. DD2's cord fell off at 4 days and I swore I could see her intestines . It was all shiny and grey. I called the MW all freaked out and she said it was fine.

CPST & mom

#6 of 10 Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Purely anecdotal, but we went through the same thing when Daniel was born, and now it's all healed up and he has a perfectly lovely kissable belly button.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 10 Old 06-26-2007, 06:47 PM

just another DS had it too.... We would put breastmilk on it, clean off any dried blood. It went away on it's own but I don't remember when
#8 of 10 Old 06-26-2007, 06:54 PM

My daughter's cord stump fell off at four days and looked pretty much like you described. I asked the doctor about it and he said just to keep it clean and dry. She's four weeks old tomorrow and now has an adorable little "rosette" shaped belly button.
#9 of 10 Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 PM

could be herniated. no big deal, if it is. it goes away on it's own. but, the belly button / umbilical cord is/was the part of the intestines, so it may be a little squishy and different for a while. check with your pediatritian though to be sur eit's not infected.
#10 of 10 Old 06-27-2007, 07:31 PM

My dd had exactly what you are describing.It corrected itself by the time she was 3mo. Its nothing to worry about unless it smells or looks infected.

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page