Is it safe for baby to sleep with a teething necklace on? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is 7 months and I've been taking his amber teething necklace off when he sleeps. Is it a strangulation hazard or should I just leave it on? Maybe it would help him sleep if his teeth were bothering him less. That's assuming it's actually working in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 07:15 PM

wanted to sub not only for answers to your question but because i've been hearing about these and was curious about learning more about them.

so just wearing them helps or is it when they chew on them? do you have any good places to get them from?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 PM

my DS is 7 months and I've been letting him sleep with his on for the past few nights. I really think it is working and when I take it off he gets more restless. I wouldn't let him sleep in it if his was sleeping alone but i'm right beside him so I thought it was safe...if it really isn't though I will stop, should I?

I got mine from ebay, I love it. They aren't supposed to chew on them at all just to wear it next to their skin is what helps.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 PM

Casey sleeps in his w/ no issues. he takes it off to bathe or swim.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 PM

That sure sounds like a strangulation hazard to me, I definitely wouldn't take the chance.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

Old 06-25-2007, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i actually have 2 amber necklaces both are 18 inches long (most are 14 i wanted longer due to ECing and naked times i just flip it to the back no fear of going in the mouth) made with silk string the one he wears 24-7 is made from amber chips so the stones are small i remove it to bathe the other one is stones more of a dress up kind it is different color stones (really nice) i put it on him when he was 4 months old he just turned 8m he cut bottom 2 teeth 4 days apart didnt even know till he bit this is what i see when he has it on it has been off two times for days (needed to be repaired the metal megnetic clasp due to it not compatable with ds's skin it was striping the metal off and the megnet was green now it is amber screw type clasp, the other time it got misplaced and i just found it today this is how he is when it is off drooling, fussy, hot, crabby, just all around not happy when it is on happy no teething symtoms at all I LOVE MY AMBER............... i had to add we cosleep
Old 06-26-2007, 12:54 AM

I personally don't think they are safe to leave on a baby or small child - strangulation and choking, etc. It's just not worth taking the chance imo.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 AM

I take DD's off at night. I try to remember to remove it for naps, but I have forgotten. I have two and one is much shorter. I prefer that one now that she can fuss with them more. The shorter length keeps it out of her mouth and makes it less likely to catch on anything.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...I guess I'll just keep taking it off. I don't sleep with him for naps and I'm not in the bed with him at night from about 7-10pm. The necklace is supposed to break if it gets caught on something, but I wonder if it could still compromise his breathing if it gets wrapped too tight somehow. It's pretty short. He's not able to get it to his mouth. It's good to know that others think it works! It's hard for me to tell.

PapayaVagina- I bought ds's necklace from Three Sisters Toys. They don't chew on them, but the amber resting on their skin is supposed to have an analgesic (sp?) effect. I read online that it's as powerful as Tylenol. I totally thought they were for chewing on till I read more about them.

User Tag List