Do you bathe with Baby? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you bathe with your baby?
Yes, always! 76 67.26%
No, Never 4 3.54%
Occasionally 33 29.20%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was sitting in the tub tonight with my 11 week old and wondered if others do this. I have never bought a infant tub for any of my babies. As soon as the cord was gone, every bath they had, was with me
I love this time with my baby. Also, it gives me an excuse to soak in our garden tub
All of my babies loved it. So.........anyone else?

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 04:24 AM

I have done it on occasion when dh is around to take care of drying baby while I do myself. How do you do this if you're by yourself :

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#3 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Here is how I do it.
I have one of those spongie bear shaped things. I put their towel on it get them undressed. Then we get in and bathe. When we are done we get out together, I lay hin down, wrap him up in the towel and then dry off and get dressed and then I get him.

Nak

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#4 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 09:08 AM

I did use an infant tub, but when dd was ready for the big tub, (she was sitting by 4 months with almost no support)I crawled in with her. Being short, it's easier for me to bathe her from in the tub than to lean over the edge. One thing though, is she likes to nurse in the tub. At first I thought it was the sight of my bare breasts, so I started wearing a bathing suit, but even that doesn't deter her. She barely fits on my lap in the tub sideways, so it's not very comfy. I figure someday the "tub-milkies" will go by the wayside, but it usually works out that she's in the tub after her supper, so it makes sense to have milk to sorta wash it down. When she was younger, she often pooped in the tub, but she hasn't in a long time. Phew!
#5 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 12:27 PM

I voted occasionally, but it is more like 'most of the time' I love bathing with her but I do savor a long hot bath alone or a shower where I get to shave my legs.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#6 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 12:53 PM

every night! well, dh and i take turns. so much fun!
#7 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 01:24 PM

I voted "always" but that's really not totally true. My SO bathes with Gavin when he has a bath. I stand there and soap him up when he's played around for awhile and then take him out to dry him off. He prefers baths with daddy as opposed to baths in his little tub with mommy.
#8 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 03:17 PM

Well, DH bathes/showers with DD every night and has since she was born. We did with other 2 also. She showers with me in the mornings so I can keep an eye on her. I don't wash her in the morning, she just plays
#9 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 03:46 PM

I took tons of baths during the last month of being pregnant. I would sit in the tub and talk to my son. It was so cool to take a bath with him sitting on my tummy instead of inside. He loves the water. Now depending on how much I want to get wet will determine if we take a bath together.
#10 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 03:51 PM

sometimes veronica is in a bath with me, but i dont take baths often....but it was easiest when she was little....i use the sling sometimes now, but i find it easy and fun for her when i take a shower, and she takes a bath at the same time.

she is pretty stable sitting up now, and our tub is an old LONG tub (like 72 inches) so i fill her rubbermaid container i use for swimming and bathing her, and put it at the end of the tub, then i shower in the front part. we have a great time.
#11 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 05:20 PM

i have always bathed with my beauties. i did it with dd#1 and made extra room in the tub when dd#2 came along 2 years later. with three of us we have tons of fun and get super goofy: i am pregnant with #3 and i think the logistics of 4 in a tub are a bit boggling. bath time is wonderful
#12 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 07:44 PM

my girls LOVE to take baths, especially with mommy!! alexandra was about a week old when i started taking her in the shower with me. she didn't like her sponge baths, so i would just hold her in the shower and use the foam bear thing to lay her on while i cleaned up. once i was cleared to take baths again i'd bring her in with me. now she takes baths with or without me. the ones without mommy and isabella are more for her just to play in the water than to get clean. she LOVES to be in pools and what not. isabella started too at about a week taking showers with mommy and after her cord fell off taking baths with mommy and her big sis. we all LOVE it. i wouldn't have it any other way!!!!
#13 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 08:00 PM

When I don't have DH to help me, here is what we do:

I put DS in his big basket right next to the tub with only a dipey on. After I have washed my hair and everything, I get him out of the basket, and we bathe. I have my towel within arm's reach, and right after I pick up DS to get in the tub, I pull his towel across his basket for when he gets out.

After he gets all fresh and clean, I place him on his towel and wrap him in it. Then, I get myself out, and wrap the towel around me. Then, I can pick him up to get ready for bed.

All the books say that you don't need to bathe Baby daily, and they are probably right. BUT, I think that it relaxes my baby (and me) so much that it is really well worth it! I usually put a drop of lavender essential oil in the bath, too!

And another tip: I know that some of you mamas practice elimination communication... we give DS the opportunity to pee pee and poop before and after a bath. Generally, he will pee pee right before or during bath (oh, well!), and afterwards, he very often has a poop. When we give him the chance to go before the bath, he never poops in there, which can be uberyucky.

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#14 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 09:26 PM

I always bathe w/ DD. Last week she fell asleep early, and I had one by myself for the first time in a long time

Here is what I do:
I have a bath sling thing that looks like a bouncer seat. I put DD in it at the end of the tub while I wash my hair, ect. Then I take her diaper off, and let her bathe. She loves it, and I feel much more secure holding her w/ both my hands that trying to reach over the tub to do it all. Also my DD has hair that is 2 inches long, so it takes a few mintues to wash the soap out if you are only using a rag. It's much quicker to lay her back and rinse it out
#15 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Carrots: I know what you mean. I took many baths my last month with my 2 little ones, can be quite a task! Now that the baby is here they take a bath together and then I run fresh water for us, they help from the side. Much easier.

I am so happy to hear about all the bathing beauties. I never understood moms when they would tell me "my baby hates the bath, all he/she does is scream" My response is always the same "you must not be doing it right then" then I smile like it is a joke.My babies have always loved bath time! It is good bonding one on one time too, if I can manage to get in there without being noticed

#16 of 38 Old 06-30-2003, 10:13 PM

I voted yes, always, but it's actually my dh who bathes with her. I get dd undressed while dh gets the tub ready. He puts on his swim trunks (so dd doesn't, uh, grab stuff) and gets in, then I hand dd over and get a few minutes to myself while they bathe and play. Then when they're finished, I take dd out and towel her off and head to bed. It works great for us. I don't know how long we'll do it this way (she's 9 months now), but I don't see stopping any time soon. Every other way we tried with her bathing by herself was a disaster. She likes the company!
#17 of 38 Old 07-01-2003, 12:49 AM

I wasted money on a baby tub. Baby's first baths were in the sink. Then I got the tub, and used it maybe 3 times. It was such a pain...putting it in the big bath, having to lean over to bath him, a little awkard and I felt I didnt have the best grip from my position. I've been bathing with ds for the last 3 months now, and we both love it. He loves the water! He loves it when I lean him back to rinse his hair (it's pretty long, like 2 inches). He kicks and talks and babbles.

This is how I do it. I put baby in his bouncy seat while I fill the tub. Usually, I will get in first and bathe myself. Then, I can just reach over, take of his dipey and bring him in the bath with me. I already have a towel nearby within reach for both of us. I sit crossed legged and he is in my lap while I wash him up. Part of the time I hold his hands and he half floats in the water, I let him kick a little, he likes this kind of play. Then when we are ready to get out, I place the towel on his bouncy seat, put him in, wrap him up. THen I get out, dry off, and then pick him up and we're all done.

#18 of 38 Old 07-01-2003, 03:03 AM

DD hated her baby bathtub so I sponge bathed her for the first few weeks. Since then we've bathed together and love it!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#19 of 38 Old 07-01-2003, 03:20 AM

I LOVE bathing with ds. He is only 6 weeks old and I think it makes him feel very relaxed and open about bathing. If he is fussy, I even nurse him in the bath. The only time I bathe him in the baby tub is when he needs to be bathed and dh isn't around to help. I find that I need dh to help lift ds out of the bath and to dry him while I bathe myself, etc. Ds has a hard time transitioning out of the bath and having dh there to wrap him and hold him helps.
#20 of 38 Old 07-01-2003, 04:58 PM

We also do this almost every night - one of us gets in the tub with her and the other reads aloud--so much fun!!
#21 of 38 Old 07-01-2003, 08:33 PM

I voted "No, never," but that isn't totally true... I tried bathing with DD tonight for the first time. We usually bathe her in her baby bath tub (which we love), but we're going on vacation soon and the tub won't be coming with us... I thought I'd give bathing her in the big tub a try, and I climbed in with her. What an experience!!! I don't know if it was the sight of my breasts or what, but she must have nursed 10 seperate times (no exaggeration). She also thought it was really fun to stand up, and she wouldn't sit down so that I could wash her hair... I ended up washing it while she was nursing

She did seem to enjoy the drain. She kept putting her foot on it and taking it out as I emptied the tub.

For those of you with older babies--how do you manage this without them standing and slipping and sliding all over the place???
#22 of 38 Old 07-02-2003, 02:53 AM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
I voted yes, always. But that is not quite true. Sometimes I shower with baby, sometimes she showers with daddy, and sometimes she bathes with me. When ever she is in the tub, she is with one of us

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
#23 of 38 Old 07-02-2003, 03:48 PM

Since she lost her cord Janelle has yet to take a bath by herself. She probably takes 1 or 2 a month with DH but usually she takes them with me.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#24 of 38 Old 07-02-2003, 04:46 PM

not yet, 10 week old dd....i WANT to but am nervous, she gets so slippery...anyone have a powerful showerhead, i am afriad it will scare her

this post makes me feel so bad b/c it is something i have wanted to do from day 1...
#25 of 38 Old 07-02-2003, 05:36 PM

Yep.. every night since she was little. We did use a baby bath tub for a few weeks... but it didn't work for us so well. She enjoys bath time so much more with us.

After the cord fell off my dh and I would both get in the tub (normal tub) facing eachother (very scrunched) and I would hold her in my hands across from me so she could see me, then dh would bathe her (or he'd hold and I'd bathe her). Worked great.

When things got too scrunched around 10weeks I just went in with her. Now, I get her ready, draw the bath, pick her up and get in the tub. She sits between my legs with an arm on each thigh and just hangs out, occassionally eats a toy. I clean her and then wash her hair while she's sitting up and rinse with a cup. I then pick her up and set her on the readied towel, climb out and dry us off!

So simple, and no matter how fussy beforehand, she's always calm in the tub (so far ).
#26 of 38 Old 07-02-2003, 10:52 PM

I love bathing with my dd and never enertained the idea that she could poo in the bath - until one day at around 3 1/2 months she did!!

So then we had a shower together....
#27 of 38 Old 07-02-2003, 10:59 PM

teehee!! I got pooped on when Anna was 2 months old... lots of it too!! She had been a little stopped up so I thought a bath would relax her... it did! I shoulda been prepared with some scooping supplies ... I know better now! She's never done a repeat and she's 5months old now.
#28 of 38 Old 07-05-2003, 03:51 AM

Very occassionally I shower with him. Wereally don't do baths, but that's only because 3 of us won't fit in the tub! We do "both boys" baths here. Have since th cord fell off. Big brother like to pour water over the little guys toes and belly.
#29 of 38 Old 07-09-2003, 02:17 PM

Always...bath or shower Of course, her brothers like to take a bath with her too...then it's a three ring circus :LOL
#30 of 38 Old 07-10-2003, 11:37 PM

I actually bathe or shower with both children every day. One of those rituals we have kept going! No, we don't have a huge bathtub!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page