first solid food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what was your dc's? how old where they?
my ds is a few weeks off of six months. he sits up unassisted (as of yesterday!) and is showing signs of being ready. i am going to try and wait another month, just to be sure (and cause i am in no rush to say goodbye to easy bf poopy diapers)...just curious : what was the first solid you gave dc, and how old where they.
let's try not to make it a debate over when to start solids, i am just really interested in hearing all of your experiences. thanks mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 09:21 PM

Just curious - did you mean 6 months?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

yes, yes i did mean 6 months...i will now go edit it! jeez...that would have started a debate for sure!!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 PM

I started both of my dd's with really ripe banana and avocado. The avocado was a huge hit.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:38 PM

Avocado, then banana, then sweet potatoes, then applesauce! Next I think we'll do either peaches or green beans--whichever looks best at the Farmer's Market.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 PM

My DS's first food was avocado, right at 6 months. Then banana (which he hated!), then pears. He has since had tastes of sweet potato, squash, peas, carrots, and oatmeal. He already seems to be a big eater.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 06-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Banana at 6 months and a week of age. It was really the only thing he ate a lot of. He didn't care much for solids until only recently.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 AM

DS2 is about to turn 6 months. I just experimented with breastmilk and made yogurt. That will be his first food, and then some fruits... maybe peaches? I have to see what is available at the store and make something up myself which is organic.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:02 PM

Broccoli florets! Then asparagus spears!

We're following baby-led feeding, which is self-feeding real food rather than purees, which are developmentally unnecessary when starting at 6mo or later.

I think after the broccoli, next was apple -- just big slices for her to chew on. I think that's still her favourite.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 07-01-2007, 03:33 PM

6 1/2 months, carrots pureed, we stopped after one week. He stopped pooping, his gut didn't know what to do w/ the food. we are stopping solids for now. He seemed ready (very interested in our eating, spoons, was yelling for food) but his body isn't ready.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:19 PM

We agonized over what and when to give DD (now nearly 8mo). At just over 6months we tried some sweetpotatoe and she spat it out - it was very funny.
Next was avocado - she hated that.
She still isn't really getting that much down (which is fine) and she definately prefers the self-feeding approach. She likes to knaw on frozen banana, apple and carrots for teething. She seems to like canteloupe, watermelon and squash the best.
Sounds like we are giving her a lot but really only try every few days.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:59 PM

Home made applesauce at 7mo...DH grew up on an apple farm and for three generations now apples from the farm have been the "first food" for everyone in the family.

DD has always self fed though using her fingers or a spoon (she wanted one and had it down pat pretty quickly). Avocado, sweet potato, slightly steamed carrots, breastmilk mixed with slow cooked oatmeal, apples and applesauce, pears, peaches, banana, brown rice, polenta, and dips like hummus and "smooshed black bean paste" were all really popular.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babette View Post
We agonized over what and when to give DD (now nearly 8mo). At just over 6months we tried some sweetpotatoe and she spat it out - it was very funny.
Next was avocado - she hated that.
She still isn't really getting that much down (which is fine) and she definately prefers the self-feeding approach. She likes to knaw on frozen banana, apple and carrots for teething. She seems to like canteloupe, watermelon and squash the best.
Sounds like we are giving her a lot but really only try every few days.
Wondering if you just freeze the banana with the peel on it or off and let her teeth on it? The carrots you freeze them also and let her teeth on one. That sounds neat I will have to give that a try. I have twins and they are wanting to teeth on something and I don't like the idea of teething on plastics! Thanks for the ideas mamas!
Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Home made applesauce at 7mo...DH grew up on an apple farm and for three generations now apples from the farm have been the "first food" for everyone in the family.
I love this tradition--so cool. We did avocado, bananas, then carrots. I had a scrapbook "A, B, C" page in mind.

User Tag List