6 month old with fever (question) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-01-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6 month old has been running a fever of 103+ off and on for over 72 hours now. Tonight it was up to 105.2. Other than when her fever gets high she acts like she feels fine. She is nursing, peeing, pooping, and sleeping just like normal. She smiles and plays and is only slightly more clingly. I have only been giving her some Ibuprofen when the fever is over 103 (and it has been at least 6 hours).

I should add we have all been feeling bad with a sore throat, small cough, runny nose, etc. for almost a week now. We spent the week with my dad and step mom last week and they have all had the same thing this week. My dad is the only other one that has run a fever with it. His fever lasted around 24 hours.

My question is should I just keep riding this out? Should I take her to the ER? There are no walk-in after hour clinics here so that is my only option on the weekend. Should I just wait until Monday AM? Even then I will have to take her to someone who has never seen her. Our ped. is out of the county. I don't want to have to deal with crap over her not being vax'd. I don't want her to have any unneccesary tests. I don't want her to be put on antibiotics just because I bring her in and well that is what they do. At the same time I don't want to not do something just because of my fear of all the things I don't want to be done being done. Am I making sense? What would you do?

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#2 of 4 Old 07-01-2007, 12:59 AM

If my baby had a temp of 105, I would definitely call the ped.....If he/she doesn't have a back up dr, then I would take him to the er. My dr says we should call if we get a temp of 101, so I would be very concerned with such a high temp. I know it's scary to think of unnecessary medical interventions but I would personally wouldn't be comfortable with such a high fever.....
hugs mama

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#3 of 4 Old 07-01-2007, 01:03 AM

i would give ped/ back up dr a call tell them she is acting fine, if she seems to need it give her motrin and a nice lukewarm bath. i wouldn't want to go to the ER i haven't ever stepped foot in one and i hope i never have to, i don't like to go running out for things like that and she would probably just catch something else in the ER anyway. so as long as she is acting ok and peeing and pooping and not screaming her head off i would just wait it out but if she is still running a fever monday i would take her in, i think after a fever that long there is most likely and infection of some sort that would need to be treated.

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#4 of 4 Old 07-01-2007, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, since it has been over 72 hours now, it looks like it may not just resolve itself. My plan is to wait until Monday unless she starts to actually act like she feels bad.

As far as worrying about the fever, I have always tried to use Dr. Sears advice that it is not so much how high the temp is but how they feel/act. Since she hasn't been acting like she feels bad, I really haven't been worried. I was hoping it would have resolved by now though.

Oh, and her temp is down below 100 now after a dose of Ibuprofen just over an hour ago.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page