Aveeno baby products are toxic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-02-2007, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just came across this list of 'toxic' ingredients used in body products... I checked my bottle of Aveeno baby wash, and it has some of the ingredients on this list (as do my shampoo and conditioner!):
http://myweb.westnet.com.au/ctarr/pa...dictionary.htm

I have been using Dr. Bronner's baby soap, but I have the aveeno around, and use it occasionally. It is scary that a company that markets their products as 'natural' has such yucky stuff in it!

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#2 of 9 Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 AM

Aveeno is pretty much just Johnson's and Johnson's in different packaging. Mothering had this website listed as a resource in an article in the past few years about safe skincare products: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ You might check it out.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#3 of 9 Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 AM

Even the all natural/organic products can have nasty stuff in them. I buy most of my stuff from Whole Foods, and still have to be really careful to read the labels. I like Burts Bees- they seem to have good ingredients, and have a nice baby line. I wanted to throw away almost everything in my house after I went on that cosmetic data base!!

mom to DS 7, DS 5 and DD 3 :
#4 of 9 Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 AM

Yes, most all baby care, and adult lotions, shampoos, soaps, makeup are very toxic. I love this website: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...incat=babycare

main page: www.ewg.org

It's a fantastic resource!!
#5 of 9 Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM

yup...aveeno is part of johnson and johnson...check out the skin deep 2 report, you can see baby and mommy products that aren't very nice. i threw out almost every product i got at my baby shower.
http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1
#6 of 9 Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM

wow....we use burts for everything other than the soap, which we use the aveeno creamy wash....i guess i will use the remaining bottles that i stocked up on at a sale in my wipe solution only and grab a bottle of the burts bath soap to use from now on. amelia has just recently started trying to drink the bath water so i have been analy scouring the baby bath with a vinegar solution i use to clean. i feel like such an idiot that i did that and then washed her with the aveeno wash....

i guess you live and learn....thanks for the intel!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#7 of 9 Old 07-02-2007, 01:54 PM

Yep, I too was an avid Aveeno user (I loooooved the smell!!) but when I started getting conscious about product's ingredients, well I realized Aveeno was no better than regular Johnson's. Sucks really cause I thought the Aveeno line was "good for baby" and I felt duped.

I now use a bit of Burt's wash on dd (on smelly neck areas), mostly water for ds. Even Burt's isn't all natural, "fragrance" is listed on their ingredient list, which is toxic as well.
#8 of 9 Old 07-02-2007, 02:05 PM

The Aveeno Baby sunblock actually scores well on the cosemetic database scale (link already posted); it has the lowest on the 'hazard' index among sunscreens that are not mineral-based and gets a 2 = recommended rating overall.

The Aveeno daily baby lotions also score really well.

http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/prod...baby+lotion%26
#9 of 9 Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 AM

wow! i'd never heard of this site. i like it.

::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page