Best way to get glass out of car seat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
KayCSmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I have the best luck ever! So my car was broke into today at work, and my car was littered with glass. I vaccumed a ton of glass out of my carseat, and was just going to pull it apart and wash it before I put Ky in it. Then I was told washing only pushes the glass into the material only to surface later.
Wondering if there are any other ways to get it out?

Brandy; Mother to Aspen (7/1996) and Ky (5/2006) and partner to Ryan

KayCSmommy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 PM
 
reducereuserecycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry. What a pain! This is only an idea...maybe you could take a sticky lint roller (the ones with the disposable layers) and that would pick up some of the glass.

::
reducereuserecycle is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Banned
 
ThreeBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would throw away the cover and harness. You will NEVER get all the glass out of them. It's not worth the risk.

Call the carseat company and order new ones
ThreeBeans is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
KayCSmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its only a week old and I cant afford a new one at this point. I live very budgeted and replacing the windows is already costing me. Maybe the lint roller and washing it afterwards would be ok

Lady at work said to use a magnet? Ever heard of that?

Brandy; Mother to Aspen (7/1996) and Ky (5/2006) and partner to Ryan

KayCSmommy is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure why a magnet would pick up glass.... : I don't think that would work.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could you call your car insurance and see if they'll help cover a new one?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 PM
 
geckoed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bread. squishy nasty white bread. It will "eat" up even the glass dust
geckoed is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 PM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 43,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would contact the car insurance company and see if they'll replace the carseat. Can you use your old carseat in the meantime?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Ruthla is online now  
Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Banned
 
ThreeBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of seat do you have? I have a few covers roaming around....
ThreeBeans is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 11:13 PM
 
silly_scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Insurance should cover it. I know you need to do something in the meantime... maybe balled up pieces of masking tape?
I thought newer cars were supposed to have safety glass. I know that you don't want LO coming in contact with any glass, but I thought the safety glass fragments weren't supposed to be as sharp. I'm probably totally wrong about this, though.
silly_scout is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 11:53 PM
 
kdtmom2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_scout View Post
Insurance should cover it. I know you need to do something in the meantime... maybe balled up pieces of masking tape?
I thought newer cars were supposed to have safety glass. I know that you don't want LO coming in contact with any glass, but I thought the safety glass fragments weren't supposed to be as sharp. I'm probably totally wrong about this, though.
No, you are totally right. The glass should be tempered glass and breaks into chunks that all have rounded edges. The vaccuuming should have been good enough.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
kdtmom2be is offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
KayCSmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My insurance isnt covering the windows (dedutable is too high), so I dont think they would replace a carseat. The glass is suposed to be thicker and harder to break, but I had glass all over my hands from cleaning it up. So it isnt much safer. Who ever broke it hit it hard, because it was the passager rear windows, and glass made into driver seat and on the dash board. Ky's seat was completely covered in it. I just gave away my old seat to my cousin, and had my car seat installed at the hospital a week ago, so I have no other car seat. So I need to get it cleaned asap. I think that I will try anything, to keep it as safe as possible. I am flying out of town for the holiday and need to take it with me.

Brandy; Mother to Aspen (7/1996) and Ky (5/2006) and partner to Ryan

KayCSmommy is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 03:27 AM
 
reducereuserecycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
even that glass that breaks into larger fragments can still cut-i know from expereince!

::
reducereuserecycle is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
 
Lady Lilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCSmommy View Post
My insurance isnt covering the windows (dedutable is too high), so I dont think they would replace a carseat. The glass is suposed to be thicker and harder to break, but I had glass all over my hands from cleaning it up. So it isnt much safer. Who ever broke it hit it hard, because it was the passager rear windows, and glass made into driver seat and on the dash board. Ky's seat was completely covered in it. I just gave away my old seat to my cousin, and had my car seat installed at the hospital a week ago, so I have no other car seat. So I need to get it cleaned asap. I think that I will try anything, to keep it as safe as possible. I am flying out of town for the holiday and need to take it with me.
If you CLAIM for both the windows and the carseat, even if the deductible is too high, will it help you to get further along in consuming the deductible? Then maybe you will have less deductible remaining for any future events? Or will that harm your insurance rates? Would they count a claim for the one event, with multiple damaged things, as one event against the insurance or as multiple? I have never had car insurance, so I am curious to know.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Lady Lilya is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
KayCSmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
If you CLAIM for both the windows and the carseat, even if the deductible is too high, will it help you to get further along in consuming the deductible? Then maybe you will have less deductible remaining for any future events? Or will that harm your insurance rates? Would they count a claim for the one event, with multiple damaged things, as one event against the insurance or as multiple? I have never had car insurance, so I am curious to know.
The damage to your vehicle has to be more then your decutable, or your insurance wont cover it. Mine is $500 the windows cost me $415 to replace. If you claim stuff on your insurance it makes your premiums go up.
The insurance company only covers car seats if it has been in an accident. I asked first thing. Its ok though I cant afford to pay more then I am for my insurance. I just need to make sure that glass makes it outta the seat.

Brandy; Mother to Aspen (7/1996) and Ky (5/2006) and partner to Ryan

KayCSmommy is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
 
kdtmom2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you looked for a replacement liner/cushion for the seat? It is the plastic bucket that costs the most....
What brand of seat is it?

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
kdtmom2be is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
KayCSmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Have you looked for a replacement liner/cushion for the seat? It is the plastic bucket that costs the most....
What brand of seat is it?
Eddie Bauer

Brandy; Mother to Aspen (7/1996) and Ky (5/2006) and partner to Ryan

KayCSmommy is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off