Best way to get glass out of car seat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I have the best luck ever! So my car was broke into today at work, and my car was littered with glass. I vaccumed a ton of glass out of my carseat, and was just going to pull it apart and wash it before I put Ky in it. Then I was told washing only pushes the glass into the material only to surface later.
Wondering if there are any other ways to get it out?

Brandy; Mother to Aspen (7/1996) and Ky (5/2006) and partner to Ryan

#2 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 09:30 PM

I'm sorry. What a pain! This is only an idea...maybe you could take a sticky lint roller (the ones with the disposable layers) and that would pick up some of the glass.

::
#3 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned

I would throw away the cover and harness. You will NEVER get all the glass out of them. It's not worth the risk.

Call the carseat company and order new ones
#4 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Its only a week old and I cant afford a new one at this point. I live very budgeted and replacing the windows is already costing me. Maybe the lint roller and washing it afterwards would be ok

Lady at work said to use a magnet? Ever heard of that?

#5 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM

Not sure why a magnet would pick up glass.... : I don't think that would work.

-Angela
#6 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could you call your car insurance and see if they'll help cover a new one?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 PM

bread. squishy nasty white bread. It will "eat" up even the glass dust
#8 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would contact the car insurance company and see if they'll replace the carseat. Can you use your old carseat in the meantime?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#9 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

What kind of seat do you have? I have a few covers roaming around....
#10 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Insurance should cover it. I know you need to do something in the meantime... maybe balled up pieces of masking tape?
I thought newer cars were supposed to have safety glass. I know that you don't want LO coming in contact with any glass, but I thought the safety glass fragments weren't supposed to be as sharp. I'm probably totally wrong about this, though.
#11 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_scout View Post
Insurance should cover it. I know you need to do something in the meantime... maybe balled up pieces of masking tape?
I thought newer cars were supposed to have safety glass. I know that you don't want LO coming in contact with any glass, but I thought the safety glass fragments weren't supposed to be as sharp. I'm probably totally wrong about this, though.
No, you are totally right. The glass should be tempered glass and breaks into chunks that all have rounded edges. The vaccuuming should have been good enough.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#12 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

My insurance isnt covering the windows (dedutable is too high), so I dont think they would replace a carseat. The glass is suposed to be thicker and harder to break, but I had glass all over my hands from cleaning it up. So it isnt much safer. Who ever broke it hit it hard, because it was the passager rear windows, and glass made into driver seat and on the dash board. Ky's seat was completely covered in it. I just gave away my old seat to my cousin, and had my car seat installed at the hospital a week ago, so I have no other car seat. So I need to get it cleaned asap. I think that I will try anything, to keep it as safe as possible. I am flying out of town for the holiday and need to take it with me.

#13 of 17 Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 AM

even that glass that breaks into larger fragments can still cut-i know from expereince!

::
#14 of 17 Old 07-03-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCSmommy View Post
My insurance isnt covering the windows (dedutable is too high), so I dont think they would replace a carseat. The glass is suposed to be thicker and harder to break, but I had glass all over my hands from cleaning it up. So it isnt much safer. Who ever broke it hit it hard, because it was the passager rear windows, and glass made into driver seat and on the dash board. Ky's seat was completely covered in it. I just gave away my old seat to my cousin, and had my car seat installed at the hospital a week ago, so I have no other car seat. So I need to get it cleaned asap. I think that I will try anything, to keep it as safe as possible. I am flying out of town for the holiday and need to take it with me.
If you CLAIM for both the windows and the carseat, even if the deductible is too high, will it help you to get further along in consuming the deductible? Then maybe you will have less deductible remaining for any future events? Or will that harm your insurance rates? Would they count a claim for the one event, with multiple damaged things, as one event against the insurance or as multiple? I have never had car insurance, so I am curious to know.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#15 of 17 Old 07-03-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
If you CLAIM for both the windows and the carseat, even if the deductible is too high, will it help you to get further along in consuming the deductible? Then maybe you will have less deductible remaining for any future events? Or will that harm your insurance rates? Would they count a claim for the one event, with multiple damaged things, as one event against the insurance or as multiple? I have never had car insurance, so I am curious to know.
The damage to your vehicle has to be more then your decutable, or your insurance wont cover it. Mine is $500 the windows cost me $415 to replace. If you claim stuff on your insurance it makes your premiums go up.
The insurance company only covers car seats if it has been in an accident. I asked first thing. Its ok though I cant afford to pay more then I am for my insurance. I just need to make sure that glass makes it outta the seat.

#16 of 17 Old 07-03-2007, 05:12 PM

Have you looked for a replacement liner/cushion for the seat? It is the plastic bucket that costs the most....
What brand of seat is it?

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#17 of 17 Old 07-03-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Have you looked for a replacement liner/cushion for the seat? It is the plastic bucket that costs the most....
What brand of seat is it?
Eddie Bauer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page