June '07 Moms *July Thread* - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can nurse in the pouch but not the ring sling or mei tei. I'm trying to get the hang of nursing in the ring sling so I can use the tail to cover up and be a little more discreet. I'm shy about showing any skin while NIP.

While we're on the NIP subject, I have a little bit of a vent. I'm shy about NIP as it is, and the other day DH and I were in Target and baby DS wanted to nurse. DH said "Go into the bathroom". : I got really mad, what was I supposed to do, sit on a dirty toilet to nurse DS? Then he wanted me to go into the car. I said no (DS was crying by this time) so I found a bench and sat down to nurse DS. DH holds up a blanket and stands in front of me. I told him to sit down. I draped the blanket over my shoulder so I was not showing anything. But DH really pissed me off. We talked about it later and he said that he thinks it is rude to NIP because it offends some people. We had a long talk about DS's needs and me not caring if someone is offended by seeing me nursing very discreetely. He agreed but I still can't believe he had that attitude towards me feeding our child in public.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#122 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
Interesting... Do you still have any aches just at normal times? Because I'm mostly better, but I still have a mild tailbone ache if I sit on a hard surface!

--willo
In the first few weeks after birth my tailbone still hurt most of the time and sometimes I would get a sharp shooting pain out of nowhere. Now it doesn't hurt as often and usually only when I'm laying on my back with my knees bent or sitting on a hard chair for too long. I think I somehow hurt my tailbone during labor and now it's just starting to get better. But Boy were thos pains sharp and scary during labor. There was no relief no matter what I did!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#123 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 AM

Jillian- My dh was freaked out about NIP with our first child- I am pretty sure it still embarrasses him with Ian, but he now knows that its not up for discussion. I try hard not to actually flash anyone, but for the most part it doesn't stress me. Last night I told dh that since we are in the Bible belt that if anyone says anything to me about NIP that I'm going to just tell them that I'm feeling my baby the way Mary fed Jesus, and if they have a problem with it, they should pray to God about it.

Ann- I am working on nursing in the wrap- if I could get baby in the right spot I could definately nursing while walking around and doing stuff hands free, but baby has to keep latched on, and he's bad to pop off right now and not be able to get back in position.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#124 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 AM

Jillian - I was so nervous about NIP (that took me a few minutes to figure out) with #1 and have become progressively less nervous with each kiddo. It did help that one of my friends was darn near an exhibitionist when it came to NIP (love her) that I became so much more at ease!

I now will nurse anywhere - and actually hate to go anywhere private (would prefer to speak to people) - nursing can be a bit boring at times!

I was at a kitchen design place last week for a consult (we are reno'ing the house) and I just asked if it was OK to nurse (kitchen designer was a woman - would be more reluctant if it was a guy) - either that, listen to a screaming baby or wait for me to finish. In hindsight, I was wondering if that was OK. I cover up with a blanket so once all set up no one knows anything is happening!!!

I also nursed on Friday in front of friends' of my husband who were over for dinner. My husband is 50 (and so were these friends) and I was wondering if that was a bit weird for them. People my age (and who have breastfeeding wives) seem to be much more comfortable but nursing a babe in front of someone older (whose youngest kid is now 14) might cause them to be a bit more uncomfortable. I was hungry and it was dinner time so I just went with it!
#125 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 11:11 AM

yeah I am ok with nip but I want to be able to move around with dd while nursing, rather than having to stop and sit down somewhere. still not sure if I'm going to the movies today...I don't think we have the mom/baby thing around here because I couldn't find anything online! I know we have free for kids during the summer, but I still don't think i can take both of them, and those aren't for movies I want to see anyway!

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
#126 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Our culture is so whacked when it comes to breastfeeding...anyone read the lactivism article in the most recent mothering mag?

I'm really lucky that I haven't run into NIP disapproval...though part of me wishes I would cause I'm just raring to go in terms of defending my babe's right to eat! I'm really not body shy so I'd love a chance to make NIP more of a non-issue so that more reserved mamas wont have to worry (if that makes sense?).

My silliest nip moment was on a road trip. DD1 was at the age where she was easily distracted and would pop off and on...probably around 7 months? Anyway, we were at a rest stop on the MassPike and I was nursing on a bench when a bus full of boy scouts arrived. DD was thrilled and 20 or so teen boys and their chaperones got a wonderful education in lactation. Sigh. I just smiled and tried not to squirt anyone as dd bounced back and forth between her lunch and the shiny buttons and colorful badges of troop whatever.

Does anyone live near an IKEA? I don't (but we road trip a few times a year to IKEA), but it's a great place for nursing! They have family bathrooms and nursing rooms with comfy armchairs. And I've never had anyone complain or even look when I've plopped down on a bed or couch to nurse dd and rest my feet. DH and I treat our IKEA trips more as family vacations than shopping...though the prices are nice too. We probably wont go any time soon, but dd1's first road trip was to IKEA, and we all went to the Stoughton IKEA grand opening. I don't recommend grand openings with a baby.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#127 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 AM

weird, I was thinking of going to ikea tomorrow! ours is across from the airport and dd loves planes, so I was going to have her look at the planes and then play in the kiddie area. this outing is one of the ones I'm worried about for if ds needs to nurse while dd is wanting me!

#128 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Willo, congrats on the beautiful prone nursing session! Night nursing is one of my favorites--snuggly, sweet baby curling up next to me. But having two is still a challenge and I'm always feeling like one is being left out.

I'm also working on nursing in the sling, pouch, mei tai. Yes, I have all three, plus a moby, but that's just too hot in Miami this time of year--unless I were in one of those overly air conditioned places. It works best in the pouch, but we still have a little trouble walking and moving around while nursing. I think it would work better if the pouch were shorter? But then, the babes will get bigger and eventually have head control so maybe that will help. For now the sling seems big and sloppy. The rings are always sliding down my back or chest and baby seems like s/he is just flopped into the bottom of a sack. I wish I'd had my mei tai when my babes were tiny 6 pounders because I think they would've fit together. Now they're a little big for that--or maybe they just don't want to be squished together.

Jillian, I'm so sorry that your DH has issues with NIP. It really hurts to have your partner be unsupportive of something that's important to you--and to your baby! My DH is fine with NIP, in fact I think he's really proud of my confidence (we're tandem NIP) and the fact that nursing came easily to our kiddos. However, he's got big issues with my refusal to let our babes cry it out. We have friends, a couple with 6 and 4 yr old girls, who insist that CIO, sleep in separate crib and room are a must. They (including DH) argue that the girls are fine so CIO must be fine. I remind myself that I'm lucky DH agreed (albeit reluctantly) to cloth diapers (at least while we're at home) and that it turns out he loves sharing our bed with the babes. (our daughter has taken a real liking to snuggling up to him at night). But every time we have a rough night he argues that once we've fed, changed and briefly comforted our babies they no longer need attention. It makes me feel uncomfortable about leaving our babes alone with him. And it makes me feel like I can never express even the least frustration when I'm tired, have tried everything and am still working at comforting a crying baby or two. Gotta keep working at this one. I hope your DH is not as stubborn as mine.

That said, I really think our twins are not terribly difficult babies. I nannied for far worse. At this young age they're just getting used to things--it's normal for them to be fussy, disorganized and unpredictable. We actually get good sleep (admittedly for about 3 hours or so at a time) for more than half the time now.

We went to babies' first art opening reception yesterday. (DH and I are both artists and I teach in a university art program) Both babes were so sweet and good. Of course we saw lots of folks who hadn't met the babes yet. Lots of cooing and unsolicited parenting advice. Afterward we had pizza at a little place that's been around since DH was a teenager. It's still a local teen hang-out. I kept thinking of my eldest niece who just turned 15 and how quickly my little babes will be teens. Sure makes those long, late nights more bearable.
#129 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Well maybe I can feel better about having the epi than seeing how everyone agrees that back labor is worse than a normal labor. I wouldn't know because I had back labor with both my babies. It was much worse this time around though. My ctx started at 5am and by half an hour later I could barely stand up during them. My back would hurt so bad during the ctx that I couldn't stand up straight. Oh well. Its over now. At least my baby is healthy.

The sore nipples I had must have been from a bad latch. I was really tired from no sleep during our 3wk spurt so I must have let him latch on wrong during the night. I just pumped that side instead of letting him nurse from it for a few feedings and it went away. Yeah! We're back to normal now and we lived through the growth spurt! Now on to 6wks!

DS is taking a bottle now. We're using the playtex nurser with the naturalatch nipple. He's taking it pretty well. I worked part of the night Saturday as a test drive and he took his bottle of EBM good. I'll be going back to work this weekend now I guess. It kinda sucks but we need the money.

I understand the baby name thing though. We call Connor either "Little Man" or "Chunky Monkey" most of the time. Chunky monkey b/c he's so much bigger than DD was. With DD she was always the baby. We hardly ever called her by her name.

Check up with LC today. She's going to weigh DS. I can't wait to see how he's growing. PP body is slowing getting better. I can get into some of my larger or stretchier pre-preg pants now. Yeah!!!
#130 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 12:40 PM

oh my dh is pro cio too. he says I have to let zachary learn to self sooth. he's only a month old! bleh.

#131 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 12:40 PM

My DH doesn't have any NIP issues, but he's almost entirely lacking in normal social skills (almost stereotypically an absent-minded professor) and hang-ups, so I think it would never occur to him.

Then again, I feel like he isn't supportive enough of BF in general. If it were going well ("normally"), he'd be all for it, but given our sons' weight gain issues in the early weeks, he is MUCH more comfortable supplementing, and he prefers the bottle to helping me use the SNS (which, admittedly, I hate and get very upset/worked up when using...) That's really hard, because I'll ask him, "Have you read [insert parenting/nursing book here]?" And, of course, he hasn't, and he doesn't have time to do so, but he can't quite trust my interpretation of it either. Big sighs. It has been much easier this time around, because we had a deal in advance that I would accede to supplements/bottles sooner than we did last time. And, again, admittedly, I'm way less tormented than I was at this point with S.

But back to NIP... I'm the shy one there. Well, I *WOULD* bear whatever aspects of my anatomy were necessary to feed my baby, but I prefer not to. I'm also quite busty, and generally really bad at keeping not-utterly-necessary parts of myself covered while nursing. Oh well. God only knows if I'll ever get to a point where NIP is even called for with this baby.

I think I'm about to go for an hour's visit at a friend's house--for the first time, alone with both kids. Hmm... Only because I know she'll help me be comfortable however necessary at her house. (I'm not very good at this newborn-management phase!)

--willo
#132 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Oh, and DH was very opposed to co-sleeping (which we tried with S. and didn't love), but now he's of the "do whatever works best in the moment" school of thought.

It helps that DS#1 is now an excellent sleeper. It just took him well over a year to get there! Arg!

But it is also helping that A. is so different. I think DH can see now that the baby's individual temperament is so much a part of how s/he will sleep.

He still largely blames my low milk supply for our early issues, though, because S. had to nurse round the clock to get enough nourishment... I think, maybe, he thinks that early "training" kept him acclimated to frequent wakings later on.

But the boy sleeps well now, God bless him!!! Here's hoping A. continues to be an easier sleeper than S. was in his infancy and toddlerhood!

--willo
#133 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Willo, I think you're amazing for all that you're doing to bf. I somewhat understand some of your issues.

DS couldn't latch at all in the beginning and lost much weight the first week. I just didn't produce enough milk so he was very listless. We had to supplement a few times -- first with a bottle but then we switched to a finger feeder so the babe wouldn't get used to such a fast flow.

I pumped after each feeding the first two weeks until my supply finally came in fully and was more regulated, right when DH returned to work. I'm not sure if I could've kept it up that often after DH went back to work. I pumped twice a day for another week or so and am now down to pumping just after the first (morning) feed.

BUT unfortunately DS is still using the nipple shield. I just can't get him to nurse without it. It breaks my heart. DH just doesn't understand. To him, DS is finally getting all of the breast milk he needs straight from the source so what's the problem...

ANY THOUGHTS ON HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY WEAN DS FROM THE SHIELD?!?

Other than that though DH is extremely supportive. Like with the CIO issue. He asked if we should consider it and I told him newborns can not regulate themselves developmentally so it's not appropriate and he takes my word for it because he knows I've done my research.

I'm so impressed by those of you who can nurse while slinging. I'm very envious...
#134 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM

Dara- I've been to that IKEA a lot...and that was dd1's first road trip at around 4 months. I lived in the city for a few years and so dh and I would drive in from Boston to visit friends and hit IKEA. Then we moved back to upstate NY and they opened an IKEA outside Boston...so now we visit friends in Boston and nosh the swedish meatball there. Yes, we have an IKEA problem! (not to the Fight Club extent though)

I've found the NJ IKEA to be more mama friendly than the Boston one btw...Many times a mama in Boston will lock the door to the nursing room while she nurses, while in NJ mamas seem happy to nurse with other mamas in the space as well.

Torio- we haven't gone recently, but we used to sling dd1 to art openings and gallery shows pretty regularly. Toddlers don't work so well, but babes in sling always made a good impression. And since most of the artists were our friends they loved the fact that we could make it...

My DH is an odd duck...very absent minded professor too. But he was diagnosed with adult ADD and depression so he has medications that actually help him focus a bit more.

He was the one who insisted DD1 wasn't happy in the co-sleeper and that it really was okay to pull her into the big bed. He hates CIO and can't figure out why people would have a baby if they didn't want to actually have a baby around. He is gung ho about my tandem nursing, and expects me to nurse both babes till they are at least 2-3 years old. And he is a lactivist and natural birth advocate...he'll jump into conversations and really educate people (and they seem to believe the "science dude" more than the mama with the hands-on experience...grrrr...but at least they believe!). And although he wants our kiddos to have their shots, he's very supportive of delayed/selective vax and trusts me to do the research and make those decisions.

Overall there isn't much in the parenting department he isn't supportive of. If anything, my real problem is I sometimes want to bounce parenting idas off him and he will sometimes just "opt out" with a "whatever you decide is what we'll do" approach. And I don't want to feel like I'm making all the decisions when it comes to the kiddos! But that's a pretty minor complaint.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#135 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
ANY THOUGHTS ON HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY WEAN DS FROM THE SHIELD?!?
I've never done it myself, but...HTH!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...d.html#weaning

#136 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
but dd1's first road trip was to IKEA, and we all went to the Stoughton IKEA grand opening. I don't recommend grand openings with a baby.
I've never been to IKEA but I lived in Stoughton, MA all my life and moved to FL just before they started buidling the IKEA there. IKEA looks awesome and I wish we had one in FL.

More on the DH & parenting issues: Before DS was born DH was happy I was going to BF but sad about missing out on the bonding. Now that DH pretty much gets to sleep through the night while I feed DS and sees how healthy DS is he is all for BF. But I know that when DS cries and DH cannot soothe him and has to hand him over to me it hurts his feelings. But I remind him that in the grand scheme of babyhood the amount of time that a baby is EBF is pretty short. Once DS is around a year he'll be nursing a lot less and a lot more interested in playing with DH.

My DH is also pro-circ but for all the wrong reasons IMO (mainly cosmetic, and wanting him to look like DH does). I told him that if he wanted our son circed he'd have to kill me first. Our son is not circed. DS1 (ex DH's son) is also not circed. DH still says he'd circ DS if I ok'd it. We agree to disagree about it and never discuss it because I get really mad at him.

#137 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 PM

Jilian- Oh my goodness! I lived in Stoughton for a year (1997-1998) after college and before dh and I moved into Jamaica Plain. We may have crossed paths in our pre-baby days!

DH isn't circ'd and agreed with me that any boys we had would remain intact. I respect religious observances, but honestly don't understand the "routine procedure" mentality so many people seem to have towards non-religious circ. I was visiting friends in the hospital when their ds was taken out for his circ...you could hear him crying all the way down the hall and he cried bloody murder for 10-15 minutes (was brought back to the room after he "fell asleep"). My friend ignored it and her dh told mine "just cross your legs and think about something else" when we first heard the babe cry and dh looked towards the door (assuming dh was circ'd too I guess). Sigh...we've been friends a loooooong time, but some things we just don't talk about!

#138 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 04:45 PM

I was visiting friends in the hospital when their ds was taken out for his circ...you could hear him crying all the way down the hall and he cried bloody murder for 10-15 minutes (was brought back to the room after he "fell asleep"). My friend ignored it and her dh told mine "just cross your legs and think about something else" when we first heard the babe cry and dh looked towards the door (assuming dh was circ'd too I guess). Sigh...we've been friends a loooooong time, but some things we just don't talk about![/QUOTE] This is a quote from Wombat, don't know what went wrong...

That just breaks my heart, I cried and cried at the PKU test alone, I don't get it either, I guess I have been educated about it all my life, so not circumcising is a no brainer to me.

On the IKEA suject, I have never been either, but found ds's "big boy bed" on craigs list and it is from IKEA. I love it, it is smaller than a twin but quite a bit bigger than most traditional toddler beds. It also expands longer so when they grow it fits them. The mattress even grows, (it's an extra piece you add). We will most likely use it a very long time.

My midwife comes today for our four week post partum, dd still has her umbilical, so I am curious to see if she sends us to the hospital to remove it. It is not infected at all, my guess is that the clamp is not tight enough and is letting just enough blood through to keep it alive or something. I will be doing a happy dance when it comes off.

On DH issues, mine is very supportive with me when it comes to NIP and CS and vax decisions, what bugs me right now is that he doesn't seem/act interested in dd, he would rather spend time with ds. I remember this with ds too when he was this age, he just keeps saying "the infant stage is not daddy time, she only wants mommy now", it kind of breaks my heart. I know he loves her, but just doesn't know what to do with her right now I guess. I look forward to her growing up a bit and completely wrapping him around her finger.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#139 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
[B]On DH issues, mine is very supportive with me when it comes to NIP and CS and vax decisions, what bugs me right now is that he doesn't seem/act interested in dd, he would rather spend time with ds. I remember this with ds too when he was this age, he just keeps saying "the infant stage is not daddy time, she only wants mommy now", it kind of breaks my heart. I know he loves her, but just doesn't know what to do with her right now I guess. I look forward to her growing up a bit and completely wrapping him around her finger.
He'll get attached to her more later. Daddy's can't help but love their little girls. I had to force my DH to let me hold DD when we had her. He didn't want to put her down in the hospital. With DS this time he's more laid back about it. He spends time with him but he's not as obsessed as he was with DD.

Moms with toddlers: What are you doing to entertain your little ones? My poor DD has been spending A LOT of time in front of the tv. I feel so awful about it but I don't know what else to do. I want to get some crafts/activities /games for her but I don't know what all to get or do with her. She'll be 2 next month. Any ideas?

There aren't any places for kids around here (or anybody to be honest). There is one playground that's safe but it's too hot to take DS outside right now. In a couple of weeks we'll start getting out more, maybe we can find someone to go visit or something but I need something to entertain her now.

LC hasn't shown up today. I tried to call her but I can't get an answer. I wonder what happened. I really wanted to know how my baby was doing with his growth. This is really annoying.
#140 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM

ahhhh...toddlers...

DD1 (2yo) is getting more tv time too...and hour of sesame street and an hour of caillou. But it's helped with nap time actually since there is a very specific order to the day. Sesame...then caillou...then nap.

Other than that...we have a sandbox and water table on the front porch. We have a smaller sandbox out back (the smaller one is actually one of those plastic boxes that goes under a bed...but it holds a few inches of sand and has a tight lid!). DD really likes going back and forth between the sand and the water.

Inside I put down a towel and let her make water paintings...either plain water on a chalk board, or a few colors on paper, and sometimes a waldorf style wet/wet painting. She has a blast. Sometimes she'll use her crayons but these days she's all about the water.

She is very much into her M&D wooden doll house and will spend 20-30 minutes at a time moving the dolls and "pretending". Dress up clothes, especially hats, seem popular too. She came up with a game where she puts a scarf over her head and pretends to be a "little ghostie" (her words)...then mama and the ghostie go looking for Laia. Eventually she'll pull off the scarf and be "found".

Story books over and over and over and over...

Putting on music and letting her dance...

Building things with her blocks...

She loves helping make dinner too...cutting soft fruits/veggies with a bread knife. Stirring things, pouring things, putting things in the dish washer, etc. It doesn't have to be real cooking either...for example dd could measure out dried beans or something non-messy even if dinner doesn't involve beans.

#141 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 PM

wow! this group moves fast!! i'm recovering from a bout of mastitis as well. yeouch!!! i hate feeling that sick. i hope it's my last time dealing with it.

otherwise things are going pretty well. dd seems to have hit a growth spurt. she's nursing almost nonstop. she's also staying awake a ton. yawn!! i just weighed her today and she was 8lb 12oz according to my postal scale. she was 8lb 9oz last week. is 3oz in 6 days "okay" growth wise? my last baby put on about a pound a week (seriously!! ) so i was thinking lucy was closer to 10 lbs by now. i suspect with this growth spurt she'll catch up and grow faster, but just wanted to make sure i didn't need to be doing some research to have info available to placate the pediatrician tomorrow if she hasn't grown "fast enough". tia for any advice.

sorry i don't have more time to respond to everyone. once lucy is past her fussies and back to a more normal 1-3 hour nursing "schedule" i should have more time for two handed typing...

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#142 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I've never done it myself, but...HTH!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...d.html#weaning

Thanks for the link. I've been trying to follow that advice already, but we haven't been successful -- yet.

The few times he has latched, it has taken SOO much time, effort, and repeat presentations of the nip that it wouldn't really facilitate NIP anyway. That's my main reason for wanting to get rid of that darn shield...

Anyway, I was hoping someone had IRL experience but it sounds like nursing is going pretty well (easy) for most everyone else. I can't imagine having an over supply and not having to worry about whether or not he's getting enough to eat at each feeding.
#143 of 395 Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokay View Post
is 3oz in 6 days "okay" growth wise? my last baby put on about a pound a week (seriously!! ) ..
1 oz per day is "average", said my ped. He would've accepted 1/2 oz per day as a minimum healthy gain, and that was knowing we'd had slow weight gain issues with our first son. (He said 1 oz/ day is average, but some gain 2 oz per day and some gain 1/2 oz per day. Once we knew our child's tendency, we'd watch for a similar trend in future.)

Oh, and I just pumped 103 mL in one sitting--92 mL was my previous best. (90 mL=3 oz) Woo hoo!

--willo
#144 of 395 Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
He still largely blames my low milk supply for our early issues, though, because S. had to nurse round the clock to get enough nourishment... I think, maybe, he thinks that early "training" kept him acclimated to frequent wakings later on.
He's mistaken. DD1 woke every two hours to nurse, sometimes more often, and I always had an oversupply, so I don't think your supply issues are to blame. She didn't sleep regularly through the night until she weaned, about three months ago. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbikegrrl View Post
I'm so impressed by those of you who can nurse while slinging. I'm very envious...
Me too! I'm deeply impressed and extremely jealous. I've never been able to move much while nursing. It seems like even small movements cause DD to lose her latch even when we're sitting on the couch.

Quote:
Overall there isn't much in the parenting department he isn't supportive of. If anything, my real problem is I sometimes want to bounce parenting idas off him and he will sometimes just "opt out" with a "whatever you decide is what we'll do" approach. And I don't want to feel like I'm making all the decisions when it comes to the kiddos! But that's a pretty minor complaint.
Sounds like my DH, to a tee! I'm very grateful that he's supportive, but he's abdicated responsibility for some pretty big decisions regarding the children.

okay, I'm clearly too tired to type (I keep typing the wrong word as I slip into little, involuntary catnaps.

Hope everyone's feeling well!
#145 of 395 Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 AM

It's hard to catch up after being off the computer for 2 days! Annalise was baptised yesterday and we went to a wedding shower. So the prep for her babtism and our trip for the shower has really tired me out. Luckily both of the kids and I were able to take a nap together on the couch. It was bliss.

Dh has been getting William to bed since Annie was born (bless him) and tonight he came down to tell me what Will was doing. Will was "breast feeding" his baby dolls! I think that DH was utterly shocked. I will blame it on my indiscrete-ness while nursing at home. I don't bother to cover up because it takes too much time and part of me feels like it is a good learning lesson for Will. I had a good laugh after hearing the story and can't wait to tell my mom. She'll get a kick out of it.

Reading about everyone's back labor reminded me of my own trials. During both of my labors, my tailbone broke. With DS it took 9 months before I didn't have any pain/discomfort. For the frist 2 weeks or so it was excruciating to sit and bend over. Luckily, this time, by some sort of miracle I am almost pain free. I don't know why but I am not complaining. When I am too active the pain worsens a bit but it isn't anything to fret over.

It's time for bed....I can't think anymore!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#146 of 395 Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 AM

Wombatclay -- my husband is the same way. Anything child related he says is my decision. It is frustrating because I want to talk about stuff sometimes. But on the other hand, he is always supportive of whatever I decide.

Still haven't figured out nursing in the sling. Although it was helpful to see the picture of the mom nursing in the ergo in the tummy to tummy hold. There is a LLL meeting tomorrow and an API meeting the next day, so I'll pack in my sling. I'm sure someone at one of those gatherings can help me. I hope! I've never been to either! One nursing in sling problem is that I'm so busty, I have to keep one hand supporting the breast at all times or ds can't keep a latch. My daughter always had a vice grip on my breast, but Sean is a little more loose.

Sean seems to be alternating between sleepy days and awake days. Today was a sleepy day. He was only awake in the evening for about 2 hours. Yesterady was an awake day. Seems like he didn't nap at all. Tired now...:yawning: Off to bed.

Mom to :, , and :
#147 of 395 Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 AM

#148 of 395 Old 07-10-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
Okay all I failed yet again at breastfeeding . I gave up. I admit it. I completely gave up. It was so excrutiating to put him on my cracked, bleeding, scabby (possibly infected) nipples that I dreaded and resented every feeding (and in a way him). Pumping only made it worse. His latch was bad from the start I think, I am not sure. Either way, here I am, heartbroken and disappointed with myself feeling the first tinges of engorgemment coming. I know what I am in for because I went through it all with my DD.

I spent all day cry about this. DH supports my decision but thinks I will regret it. I may. I more than likely will. ...
I completely, totally, whole-heartedly understand why you would want to give up. I really, really do. I'm so sorry you are so miserable. And, believe me, I understand the misery, too, because, aside from my very sensitive nipples, I've had the misery of feeling like I'm starving my poor babies due to my low supply issues. So, I think I understand where you are coming from.

If you really think you will/might likely regret stopping now, is there any chance you could see a lactation consultant--like, TODAY? Some people quit and then change their minds and re-lactate, but that is very hard. Getting a little help today might give you another chance, if you want it. (You are getting no pressure from me either way! Just presenting the possibility in case you think you might regret your decision and beat yourself up even more later!!!)

What has helped me tremendously this time, as opposed to the long-term painful emotional/physical torture of my first bf experience, is that I gave myself permission to only do what I could do without being... well, tortured! I set myself a schedule of every three hour feedings (your schedule could be much less often, to safeguard a little supply but give yourself time to heal.) I offer the breast to A., then, if he isn't latching well within a couple of minutes, I just pump instead. So far, my supply seems to be steady or increasing, but I have FAR less nipple trauma than I did before.

Basically, I think I'm saying, IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ALL OR NOTHING. If you quit nursing, maybe you could handle the pumping sensation? That might buy you time to find an LC to help you improve your son's latch, if that's what you want.

I find pumping too painful dry or with Lansinoh, but, with prescription APNO (All Purpose Nipple Ointment), I can pump without pain. I wouldn't say it feels good, but it is okay, and less painful than A.'s frequently poor latch.

Anyway, you have given your baby the best possible start by breastfeeding even this long. Every drop counts!

--willo
#149 of 395 Old 07-10-2007, 08:11 AM

our power went out last night (the whole block) and con ed has about a million trucks parked outside but they still don't know what the problem is. not only is it very hot and uncomfortable but all our food and the meagre stash of breastmilk that i've managed to pump will be spoiled by the time they figure it out i know it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things (we can buy more food, we're all healthy and safe) but it still sucks. i guess that's life on the grid, eh?

hugs to all dealing with BFing issues. it can definitely be one of the hardest and most intense challenges of motherhood. hang in there and know that it will be okay, one way or another.
#150 of 395 Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 AM

Vanniencole

I agree with willo - if you think you may regret your decision, speak to a LC soon. You may be able to find a balance and keep it going. I am also tortured by breastfeeding (this time a lot better than the last time)
but am happy I stick it out - I was so ready to quit last time but knew it would get better (and fed my first two with fewer problems).

I would imagine you may be able to supplement and breastfeed much less frequently until you heal and then you could try again.

No flames and no judgement (really). I would relate it to a bad birth experience with regrets on decisions. I would be afraid I would dwell on the breastfeeding decision.

Make sense - hugs to you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page