Eating solids & gagging?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-01-2003, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 7 months old and we have tried feeding her quinoa for the past two days. The first day she got about 5 bites, and then she gagged, and back up it all came. Last night she had a few bites again, and then she gagged again - I didn't want a repeat preformance, so we stopped...

Is this just because she doesn't really know how to swallow it??

I blended it in a blender (and added bm) - but it definately still has some texture, which I didn't think would be a problem since she is 7 months.

I don't think it is the taste is the issue since she gets a few bites before she gags...

Breastfeeding is so much easier...

Any words of advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-01-2003, 07:42 PM

Maybe it's something about the specific food? My DD will eat just about anything, but I tried to give her some tofu a couple of weeks ago and she had the same sort of reaction you described. We decided to hold off on soy products for a little while.... Maybe you could try another food and see how she responds?

Breastfeeding is DEFINTITELY easier
#3 of 8 Old 07-01-2003, 10:54 PM

Is this the first food you've tried? If not, is it the only thing she gags on? Maybe something else would go down easier? Or maybe those first few bites aren't actually swallowed before she takes more? My dd (now 9 1/2 mo.) has had the same trouble a few times, usually when she tries to swallow too much at once. She'll keep a few bites in her mouth and I won't notice, or else she'll take too big a bite of some finger food. I read somewhere recently (don't remember where) that gagging is a normal part of learning to eat, and I guess that makes sense. They have to figure out how much they can handle at once.
#4 of 8 Old 07-02-2003, 01:01 AM

Ben is big fan of solids. He eats everything I offer him. In fact he routinely eats until he gags. Our dr and nutritionist and my mom weren't shocked by that, so I guess it's nothing to worry about. I just end the feeding when he shows the least disinterest or the first gag.

I'm not familiar with quinoa, but I agree it may be the texture of the specific food. I make Ben's food, and it comes out a bit grainy. Ben seems to prefer smoother textures to grainier ones(like green beans). He loves finger foods. today I gave him a bit of green pepper, and he choked a bit. He obviously wasn't ready for that. Just watch and try lots of different food.
#5 of 8 Old 07-02-2003, 01:35 PM

Maybe she's not really ready for solids yet? Or maybe (like others mentioned) it's that particular food she doesn't do well with.
#6 of 8 Old 07-02-2003, 02:02 PM

Goo has done this if she eats too fast.

Why not offer a spoonful and stop and play with something for a minute and then try again.

It could be anything from eating too fast, not liking the food to not being ready to eat solids.
#7 of 8 Old 07-02-2003, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why not hold off for awhile longer. I tried around 6 months and my DD did that so I've decided to wait until she can eat finger foods herself. She is almost 8 months and doesn't get any solids. Breastmilk is all baby needs for the first year at least, solids are just for experimentation. You're right, breastfeeding IS easier, so just stick with that!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#8 of 8 Old 07-03-2003, 01:58 AM

If it's the first lumpy food she has had, she may just be figuring out the whole mush it with the gums and swallow thing. When I first fed my DD (now 9 mo) Oatios (natural Cheerios) she gagged the first two times and it worried me but it was like she was figuring it out. I just made surre she tooks sips of water after each gag. The next time, she had no problem and gobbled them up.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page