Well, I got the Ergo carrier and..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-01-2003, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sending it back!

First I should say that it is sooooooo cute and not bulky at all and for a lot of people it probably works. But I just can't get it to fit me right. It's just not comfortable.

Oh, well!

I still really like my fleece pouch, was just hoping to find something that I could wear Grant on my back with. He always wants me to hold him when I'm making dinner (I think he is exhausted by then and just wants to cuddle). Wearing him on my back would be the safest thing to do (right now I wear him on my hip). He is getting very "grabby" and I worry that he's going to get hurt.

Anyone know of any good carriers for wearing baby on your back?

:bf
#2 of 21 Old 07-01-2003, 11:16 PM

We have a beautiful Kelty for walking/hiking and a cheapie EVenflo for around the house. I just went to our local used babygoods store and tried on their backs. They had a ton of them to choose from. Super lightweight but has the actual hip padded belt for those looong afternoons.
#3 of 21 Old 07-02-2003, 01:08 AM

Have you looked into the Sutemi? I just got mine and really like it. http://www.sutemigear.com/
#4 of 21 Old 07-02-2003, 01:13 AM

Have you tried an unpadded sling in the back carry position?
#5 of 21 Old 07-02-2003, 02:10 PM

Hi there. I bought one from my cousin because I heard how great they are. It is very comfortable but my son (one year old) loves his OTBH sling so much and he doesn't like the trekker as much. That is only because he has been in the sling since he was one. So...we will stick with it. I am thinking of selling my trekker. I will probably post it on the Trading Post in the next couple of days if you are interested. Or you can email me at paflower@comcast.net
I know you didn't say you were looking to buy one just yet but in case you were...

Paflower

I don't know how this became its own topic. I thought I had it under your post. Sorry

#6 of 21 Old 07-03-2003, 02:51 AM

I love my trekker (took me forever to figure out!) and my Gerry backpack.
Lauren
#7 of 21 Old 07-03-2003, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Sorry the Ergo didn't work for you. Heytootsy has already mentioned the Sutemi, so here are a couple more you might like to check these out:

Packababy -- I have one and like it better than my Ergo.

Baby Back-tie

My all time favorite sling though for any carry is the Didymos (or a didymos like sling, ie Girasol, EllaRoo, El Comal or Storchenwiege).

Deborah

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#8 of 21 Old 07-03-2003, 09:34 PM

A wrap sling would probably fit you best if the carrier style seemed awkward (sp?).

I'm currently liking my Simply Attached Sling from Mother of Eden. It's like the didymos/girisol/ ellaroo, but cheaper and all fleece, so it's snug and comfy like my fleece pouch. You can use it in a back carry just like the didymos too.
#9 of 21 Old 07-03-2003, 09:45 PM

I make my own long wrap slings. I have quite a collection now. you can just find the fabric that's right for you and depending on what carries you want you can decide on the length. The largest didymos (I have one of those too!) is 210" I also have a long wrap sling that is even longer and that way I can play around with the "tail." The simply attached is really nice and soft, (I just got my FB order in the mail today and found out it is made out of the FB fleece) but if you're in a really hot area, it might be kind of a turn off. All of the long wrap slings are nice, but if you're going to be doing any kind of work where you bend over or anything, i don't recommend them for back carries. In my sling class I recommend doing kitchen chores while doing back carries in the sling because the up and down can cause the baby to "come loose" or become insecure. For outings a "rucksack" carry in a wrap sling is good and looks great, but is hard to do from the car without help. You really need a place to lay the baby down, kwim?
Lastly, wrap slings are an AWESOME fashion statement and WAY more comfy than my trekker or my gerry backpack. Hope that helps.
Lauren
#10 of 21 Old 07-03-2003, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by veganmamma
All of the long wrap slings are nice, but if you're going to be doing any kind of work where you bend over or anything, i don't recommend them for back carries. In my sling class I recommend doing kitchen chores while doing back carries in the sling because the up and down can cause the baby to "come loose" or become insecure. For outings a "rucksack" carry in a wrap sling is good and looks great, but is hard to do from the car without help. You really need a place to lay the baby down, kwim?
Lastly, wrap slings are an AWESOME fashion statement and WAY more comfy than my trekker or my gerry backpack. Hope that helps.
Lauren
Have you tried the wrap n cross back carry with your Didy? I find that is just as secure as a backcarrier because they baby is secured with three layers of fabric. As for tying of the fly, I used the hood of my car or one of the captain's chairs in my van to get the baby in.

I have to agree with you the wrap around slings blow most other carriers away for comfort. I do like the Packababy though -- very comfortable!

Deborah

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#11 of 21 Old 07-04-2003, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!!! I'm in love with the Baby-Tie-Back carrier!!! How cute and it has all the features I'm looking for! Thanks!

:bf
#12 of 21 Old 07-04-2003, 02:27 AM

Are you talking about doing the wrap n' cross carry on your back? That is secure, but sometimes uncomfortable for the baby if you're bending over a lot.
Lauren
#13 of 21 Old 07-04-2003, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about doing the wrap n' cross carry on your back? That is secure, but sometimes uncomfortable for the baby if you're bending over a lot.
Lauren
Yes, but mine have never found it uncomfortable. I guess we are all different.

Which back carrier to you recommend? I personally dislike the Trekker because I don't think it carries the baby is a physiologically sound position. It forces too much of the baby's weight on their pelvic floor and forces their back to be straight or hollow, especially in the facing out position, for me that is a really "no no". I also hate the feel of dangling legs.

Deborah

PS: I am about to start teaching babywearing classes too!

#14 of 21 Old 07-04-2003, 05:29 PM

Yeah, the trekker is for older babies who have the "s" curve in their spine and can sit up, really. I prefer the long wrap and cross carry for outward facing positions. Congrats on your babywearing class! How fun! Do you wanna hook up and help each other with our lesson plans? Email me, i want to know what slings you are doing.
mama@mamasmith.com
Lauren
#15 of 21 Old 07-04-2003, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the trekker is for older babies who have the "s" curve in their spine and can sit up, really. I prefer the long wrap and cross carry for outward facing positions. Congrats on your babywearing class! How fun! Do you wanna hook up and help each other with our lesson plans? Email me, i want to know what slings you are doing.
mama@mamasmith.com
Lauren
I emailed you!

Deborah

#16 of 21 Old 07-04-2003, 10:42 PM

How do you do the wrap n cross carry on the back. the only sling i have is a pseudo diddy and i just can't seem to get the rucksack carry secure enough to do chores.
tia
nak
Selissa
#17 of 21 Old 07-04-2003, 11:13 PM

You lay the baby on their tummy on the bed in the middle of the sling and lean back over them crossing it aroundand hiking them up as you lean forward to hold them onto your back so you can cross it back between their legs and then around your waist. Did I explain that okay? I feel like I can't do it with words alone.
L
#18 of 21 Old 07-05-2003, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Selissa
How do you do the wrap n cross carry on the back. the only sling i have is a pseudo diddy and i just can't seem to get the rucksack carry secure enough to do chores.
tia
nak
Selissa
Have your baby on your hip, wrap the Didymos/Girasol around their back. Make sure the edge of the sling is pulled down to the back of his knees. Holding both ends of the sling with one hand push the baby and sling through your arm onto your back bending forward slightly. Support baby with one hand, stay bending forward and put the sling ends over your shoulders one after the other, support the baby with the other hand. Grab hold of the two ends and keep the tension tight. Cross them under the baby's bottom and pull them underneath him to the front and tie both ends into a knot. Now comes the tricky part, spread the crossed sling widths over the baby's back beginning with the inner layer so that the baby's back is covered with three layers of fabric and is sitting nice a securely against your back.

It really helps, at least for the first few times, to have someone help you get the sling widths across the baby's back.

I hope this is clear, it is so hard to explain in words only.

Deborah

#19 of 21 Old 07-05-2003, 08:46 PM

Oooh I like that way! Mine is adapted from the Trekker, but that is a much slingier way to do it. I'm going to try it RIGHT NOW!
Lauren
#20 of 21 Old 07-06-2003, 05:46 PM

Lauren, I'm really interested in the look of the Simply Attached sling, but I live in Iowa which gets really hot and humid in the summer. If I wind up having a summer baby, fleece may not be my best choice. Would it be tough to make a pattern to make a SA type sling out of thinner material?
#21 of 21 Old 07-06-2003, 06:47 PM

Not at all! It just needs to be a sturdy material. I'll pm you with some dimensions.
Lauren

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page