toys for a 5 month old? and beyond? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-02-2003, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello lovely mamas!

I am trying to figure out toys this is my first babe and well... Do I need toys? I see all those flashy lamaze toys and they are so pretty. But do I need them? Is my face and interaction enough? Does she need toys to develop better? She isn't really into toys yet... but would she be if we had them?

I am really a huge fan of letting her have her own pace for developing. I don't want to "excellerate" her learning... but I don't want her to be bored... or well, leave things out that would be good for her.

And then there are the waldorf inspired toys. Those seem simpler. Does anyone have experience with that type of toy? And open-ended toys. Is there such thing as an open-ended toy for an infant? or are bright things that they chew on and look at just generally good for them at that age?

Thanks for your advice. What are your favorite toys?
much love to all,
jenny
#2 of 3 Old 07-02-2003, 12:32 AM

Jenny,
Here's a great thread that I posted in a couple of months ago. It might answer some of your questions and give you some great ideas.
-Bianca
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...highlight=toys

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#3 of 3 Old 07-02-2003, 01:21 AM

I think it's good to have some toys around. ben is really into touching and chewing on everything, so we need to have some safe touchable thigns for him. I try to give him household items to play with whenever possible-like wooden spoons, scraps of fabric, etc. I like to put Ben down with a toy and let him explore it on his own, It also makes things like showering, shopping and car rides go more smoothly.
I like simple toys. Most of Ben's toys are old Fisher-Price toys like the ones my husband and I had as small children- stacking rings, the popcorn turtle, the spinning balls, the phone with the face on it. Ben also has lots of rattles and a beach ball, a couple of mobiles, and a couple of busy boxes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page