Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Life With a Baby (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/)
-   -   Pack N Play, Hammock, Co-sleeper, other...? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/707816-pack-n-play-hammock-co-sleeper-other.html)

Shelsi 07-08-2007 01:18 AM

So let me preface this first by saying we're not co-sleepers. I think it's great for baby and I have nothing against it but personally we just can't stand it. We like having "our space" and we go nuts without it.

That being said we have discovered that we are not moving into a 3 bedroom like we thought we were so now there is no extra room for baby who is due in a few weeks. We'll be living here for 10 mos before we move. We have no room for a crib except perhaps in my 3 yr old ds's room and I won't put the baby in there until they are sleeping through the night so as not to disturb my son too much. He slept through at 9 weeks but I know that's unusual so I can't count on that.

We need something in our room that is compact. So far we've looked at pack n plays, the amby bed, the happy hang-up hammock which is similar, the arm's reach mini-co sleeper, and some bassinets/cradles.

Anyone have any good or bad reviews of any of these? I don't think I want a typical bassinet. We had one with ds and he HATED it. All it did was collect dust and would have only lasted him until he was prob 3 mos old anyways.

Anyone have one of the hammock style? What happens when they start to sit/pull up?

What about the mini co-sleeper? How long do you think it would realistically last in terms of age and development?

Any helpful advice or thoughts will be much appreciated!!

mum4boys 07-08-2007 01:24 AM

We have an Amby Baby Hammock and have used it since Maggie was born. She loves it. In fact she sleeps at least 7 hours a night in it (we bring her in our bed when she wakes up). I think she sleeps so soundly because of the way it "cuddles" her. Plus it does wonders for her acid reflux.

katheek77 07-08-2007 01:14 PM

We have a pack and play with the "basinette" type thingy on the top.

She slept in the top part of it whenever we went to ILs, and occasionally napped in it (she sometimes naps in our bed, usually sleeps in her crib). After she started pulling up, we just took the top part down, and she now sleeps in the pack n play part of the crib when we visit, go on vacation, etc. She's 12 mos old. It is indispensible for us.

The only thing is, you can only use the top part of the pack n play until about 15 pounds...we have a tiny girl, so she was pulling up before she hit that, but, for some babies, they'll be out of that in a couple of months.

elmh23 07-08-2007 01:52 PM

i'd go for the pack n play with a bassinet. that way you get more bang for your buck. ds outgrew the bassinet at 3 months when he started rolling over but we can still use it. he currently starts off in his crib at night and naps on the floor but as soon as he has regular naps, he'll be napping in the kids room in the bassinet.

Orangey 07-08-2007 02:16 PM

We have the Amby bed as well and love it. Our son will sleep for about 4 to 5 hours in it, until he wakes up to nurse, then I just bring him into bed with us. I aslo love how portable it is. It's easy to slide out of the bedroom into the living room, and also comes apart easily to take when you travel. I dont know about the sitting/pulling up part, our son hasnt reached that stage yet.
You can look on Ebay for an Amby bed. Thats where a friend of mine got hers for $150.

Bennifer 07-08-2007 02:30 PM

we have a regular size co-sleeper and it collects dust. neither of my kids have liked it.
I've heard this from lots of people!

doudat 07-08-2007 03:39 PM

I love our mini cosleeper!! It's the perfect size in our small bedroom and the weight limit is way better than a packn'play bassinet attachment (25lbs vs 15lbs). If you're worried about the cost, you can always scour Craigslit or get it off Ebay like I did (for 70$). It is one purchase I do not regret at all!!

UmmIbrahim 07-08-2007 04:12 PM

We have the pack 'n play w/ the bassinette...and while its great...um, my ONE concern was once ds hit 14lbs it started to sag...like really sag in the center so now ds cant be in it at all becos it literally looks like V.

We had ds in that for about a month becos he was rolling aorund so much and our bed was still not on the floor that he kept rolling off, but the whole bassinete becoming a V thing made us put the bed down real quick.

Have others had this problems w/ the P&P bassinette?

Umm Ibi

katemum 07-08-2007 05:33 PM

We have the mini cosleeper and it's great...only problem is dd is about to outgrow the weight limit at only 5 1/2 months (25 lb). Since you don't know how quickly your dc will grow, I'd be reluctant to recommend it as a long-term solution.

I think the regular size cosleeper might be a better bet, and it's about the same size as a pack&play. I'm pretty that in addition to having a higher weight limit for the cosleeper/bassinet configuration (maybe 35 lb?), it also converts to a playpen - the mini does not do this.

HTH

Ianthe 07-08-2007 05:57 PM

We have a pack n play with bassinet too (also a changing table on it). DS has napped in it once, and we just use it for middle of the night diaper changes.

MommyTeesa 07-08-2007 08:42 PM

Both DD and DS hated the pnp bassinet (too flat, I think) - like LizzyQ we use it for diaper changes and storage (have clothes, blankets, and diapers in it). DD ended up sleeping in the car seat from 6 wks to almost 4 months, then moved to her crib and DS is in the Amby (he's now 9 wks old). He seems to like it and we are finally able to bounce him asleep (takes 5-10 minutes, if we are successful). It's quite $$$, but resale is good. I figure (am hoping ) by the time he's sitting up and semi-mobile he'll be ready for the crib.

AnyMama 07-08-2007 08:58 PM

We have an amby, and I loved it. They are safe until about 9 months, but I know that some users get away with longer. For us it was worth every penny, but not everyone feels that way.

art4heart 07-08-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katemum View Post
We have the mini cosleeper and it's great...only problem is dd is about to outgrow the weight limit at only 5 1/2 months (25 lb). Since you don't know how quickly your dc will grow, I'd be reluctant to recommend it as a long-term solution.

I think the regular size cosleeper might be a better bet, and it's about the same size as a pack&play. I'm pretty that in addition to having a higher weight limit for the cosleeper/bassinet configuration (maybe 35 lb?), it also converts to a playpen - the mini does not do this.

HTH

We loooooooooved our mini cosleeper, as did our friends that borrowed it, but I do agree with this poster about babe outgrowing it in the first 6 months.

cactustx 07-08-2007 11:24 PM

I love our mini-cosleeper! ds just transitioned out of it at 9months. he was rolling over and hiking his leg over the side. we used it as a stand alone bassinett and attached to our bed. there is a new model of the mini-cosleeper that also has the ability to be a play-yard! i wish i had that one because we could have keep ds in it longer.

snoopy5386 07-09-2007 01:18 AM

how about a mini or a portable crib? like one of these. Seems a bit sturdier and better for long term use than the cosleeper/pack n play
http://tinyurl.com/25tnbk
http://tinyurl.com/yq2kjm
http://tinyurl.com/283lz6
http://tinyurl.com/2dolux

pantufla 07-09-2007 02:39 AM

We have the mini co-sleeper, and I like it. DS #2 doesn't always sleep in it, but I like that I don't have to sit ALL the way up to reach over the sides to get him out for night feedings. MUCH better than the bassinet we had for DS #1. Trouble is, as PP said, baby is large and quickly outgrowing the weight limit (he is 4 1/2 months and 18 lbs). DS#1 was average and would not have hit the weight limit until 18 months (long after it was unsafe because he could climb out).

As a side note -- we have a friend whose baby sleeps in the same room as their older child, and has since he was 6 weeks old or so. Older DC didn't wake up in the night when baby cried.

artgoddess 07-09-2007 02:45 AM

Our mini co-sleeper is great, but the issue is the same as with bassinets. You really don't want baby in them once they can sit up or pull themselves up. The sides are very low and they can easily pull themselves over and out on to the floor. Probably 5 - 6 months max you can use one safely.

Peppermint Poppies 07-09-2007 03:22 AM

We have an Amby Hammock, and DS sleeps beautifully in it.

I would highly recommend it, however if you're looking for something to take you through until 10mo, it may not be your best option. I do know some people whose babes have stayed in the hammock until 10-12mo, but most transitioned out of it into a cot at about 6-8mo.