Solids important at 5 mos? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-02-2003, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my first dd, I did everything totally mainstream. Ped told me to start her on solids at 4 mos, that's what we did. She was also exclusively formula-fed. Now with my second dd, I'm a bit more "off the path" She's been ebf (but will have a couple bottles of formula once a week starting this week- pumping/mastitis issues) and I let her taste rice cereal once, but that's it. My ped is pushing solids, but I am afraid of depriving her of the nutrients she's getting from nursing. Rice cereal isn't all that nutritious, kwim? Any info from you btdt bf'ing mamas w/older babies is appreciated. TIA!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-02-2003, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My baby is also five months old, so I went to do some web research into this question. I also purchased Super Baby Food, recommended highly by people here.

The World Health Organization did a study of what they call complementary feeding, or feeding solids while baby is eating breastmilk. Their researchers concluded that six months is the optimal time to introduce solid food. They decided this based on the idea that introducing solids too early could displace breast milk, which they (and every other public health authority I can find) think should be baby's main food. This is the WHO page on complementary feeding. It contains links to several documents on their research and policies. Keep in mind that they work in some countries where people have a hard time getting enough to eat--though you can also see that we here in the US are a subject of concern for them when it comes to our baby feeding practices.

Nearly every public health organization and medical association in the US recommends exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months. This includes the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Medical Association, the Centers for Disease Control--and some others I'm not remembering just now. If your doctor gives you a hard time, you can print out this 1997 position paper of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Be sure to use a highlighter on #6 in the "Recommended Breastfeeding Practices."

Other experts say that the main indicator for when to start solids is developmental readiness. The current thinking is 4 to 6 months, but there are signs that the baby is ready, including the ability to sit up and the ability (and desire) to pick up food and put it in his mouth. Here's a nice clearly written page from the La Leche League FAQ on developmental readiness to start solids. My SIL's children were slightly delayed in some of their motor skills--they walked late, for instance--so she delayed solids until 7 months, and her children did not lose weight or fail to thrive.

The main source of your baby's calories should still be breastmilk through the first year, as I learned from my web search and other reading. It seems like it is important to introduce nutritious food, and that delaying solids indefinitely isn't a great idea, but there isn't a rush.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#3 of 11 Old 07-02-2003, 01:27 PM

Babies don't need solids for the first year. They can and will thrive on BM alone. But, if you want to expiriment with solids (which most people do) I'd wait until at least 6 months. 9 would be ideal, IMO. And make sure everything you feed your babe has nutritional value. Things like crackers, rice cereal, cookies, etc. are pointless and will fill her up, not leaving room for the good stuff.
#4 of 11 Old 07-02-2003, 01:33 PM

My ped recommeded not starting solids until my dd is at least 6 months old. She said there are left over antibodies in babies tummies that were once meant to protect us from spoiled or bad foods, pre-refrigeration era. She says its these antibodies that are thought to be a partial cause of food allergies if children are given solids too early.
#5 of 11 Old 07-02-2003, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Solids at 5 months is WAY too early IMO. The AAP recommends not starting until at least 6 months. That said my daughter is almost 8 months and still has not started solids. I tried the mushy stuff once around 6 months and she hated it so I've just decided to wait until she can eat regular food (probably around 9-10 months). Babies need only breastmilk for the first year, solids are just for experimenting.
(by the way my baby also gets formula, I am breastfeeding after reduction surgery so baby gets 6-8 ounces of formula day in an at the breast supplementer - she is getting enough MM that I still don't worry.)

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#6 of 11 Old 07-02-2003, 10:16 PM

My dd is 5 months and we have just started giving her a taste of pumpkin. As already stated, it is for experimention and fun only and she is still bf on demand. (we give her the taste after a feed).

She loves it - the way we did it was to put a tiny amount in front of her and let her play with it, rather than put a spoon in her mouth. That way she did it at her own pace. And we skipped the rice cereal altogether.

As for depriving her, I don't think my little girl will ever forgo the boobie for other things - she loves it there too much!!

But it's about what you're comfortable with and what your babe is ready for. They are all different developmentally. I think it possible to be too rigid sometimes, be guided by your baby.
#7 of 11 Old 07-03-2003, 08:57 AM

Hello all

please help me out here. I keep seeing "they don't need solids for a year" and I have been looking for a link to a study or something verifying this. Can someone help me?

Amy
#8 of 11 Old 07-03-2003, 04:40 PM

The AAP book, Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, says "by four to six months you can begin adding solid foods. Some babies are ready for solids as early as three months..." It says so many other things that are just wrong!
#9 of 11 Old 07-03-2003, 10:18 PM

Isn't it funny how at any given point in time we always think what we're doing is right, and yet history has shown that there is always so much more to learn, that we don't know. For example I'm sure some of our mothers gave us sweetened condensed milk as babies, with the full 'knowledge' they were doing what was right for their children. We would never dream of giving our children this now. And in 30 years our kids will reflect on what we did and their latest research and say "no way am I doing what you did!".
#10 of 11 Old 07-05-2003, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! You know, having already btdt with my first, you'd think I'd have figured it all out by now, lol! I just did everything the ped said with her and never thought twice. Now I'm a bit more cautious and eager to hear alternative viewpoints. I appreciate all the feedback.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#11 of 11 Old 07-05-2003, 02:25 PM

Our ex-ped told me to start Aidan on solids at 4 months but of course she also was adament that I should formula feed him as well. Notice the EX on that?

We try things once in awhile but I did the whole follow the timeline crap with my first two and with this one I will do it when he is ready. Right now he breastfeeds with a formula supplement daily and hasn't shown any want or need for anything else. I'll worry about it when we cross that bridge.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page