Signing with baby.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2003, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Occasionally I've come across posts about signing with the baby, so I looked it up. I read this article on the internet about Joseph Garcia's book "Sign with your Baby". It seems so interesting to me. Anyone using this book?

On the website they were selling this whole package: book, chart, video. Can you get by with just the book ($15 is a lot better than $50 kwim?).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2003, 10:27 PM

Since I'm already fluent and used to interpret, I've never used a special book for signing w/ a baby. Imho you don't need a lot of knowledge to do it...just basic stuff. There are websites that you can find what you would need (i.e please, thank you, mommy, daddy, etc).
Old 07-03-2003, 10:31 PM

We have both the video and the book. I've never actually watched the video, and the book is quite clear. You can definitely get by with just the book.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 PM

uhh huh sure can get by with the book!

if you have a local independent bookstore it might be worth your while to check in and see if they offer baby sign classes. they usually are more of a playgroup and pretty cheap IME.

we did the little class for 5 weeks at $20 total and it was at a children's bookstore not too far from where we used to live.

Alyssa loved it and so did I. We also enjoyed signing at home a lot.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:51 PM

I didn't get his stuff. I got Baby Signs by Linda Acredolo, Ph.D. and Susan Goddwyn, Ph.D.

They also have a seires of baby board books that have babies doing the signs w/ real life pictures. DD loves those and really picked up new signs from these. She'll even "read" these books to herself

They are books for Baby Signs for Bedtime, Signs for Mealtime, Signs for Animals, and Baby's first Signs.

I didn't use the book that much. You basically just need to find a few signs and go from there. I'd get the picture books and use those. More will come w/ time. Don't get discouraged either b/c it take a few months for the first sign to appear.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:11 AM

i have the book and it is good. i got a video called baby see n sign since i like visuals, but i really didn't like it all that much. i expected to see more basic words like mom, dad, please, thanks, etc. i looked for a class as i would have loved that, but couldn't find one.

patience is a must! i have been signing milk and more with dd since she was about 6 months old or so, but not consistently. she just recently started signing them back to me so i am going to start adding more slowly.

i use it mostly because she is raised in a bilingual home and i hope it might lessen any confusion for her till she gets both languages straightened out in her little head.

she will only sign them when she wants what they mean though. if i try to show someone, she won't do it. also, her sign for more right now looks more like she is clapping. and she does milk with both hands at the same time!

too cute to see a little baby signing. she will be 1 next week.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:33 PM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:02 PM

I have been signing to my son for about two or so months now, though not very consistently because I sometimes forget. Well, four days ago he signed his first sign, BOOK! It was absolutely exciting...and too adorable. He doesn't always do it when I ask (who wants to go around signing book all the time just so his mama can show off?), but he did it for our friend at Storytime at the bookstore to see and she was definitely impressed. Hahaha!

So far, I know that he also understands the signs for more and eat, and I think he is beginning to understand the sign for milk, if he doesn't already. It is usually recommended to begin with those three signs first. I taught him the sign for book anyway.

I don't think the signing books for parents are an absolute necessity. I do really like the board books for babies though. I've been learning signs from the American Sign Language website. It's a great website you might want to check out.

Best of luck,
nappyhair
Old 07-06-2003, 12:29 AM

When did you guys begin using signs with your babies?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:00 AM

... we did it from the git-go
I think that is why he has so many words in his vocabulary.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone..I've checked out some of the websites and we've started using mommy, daddy, and milk. He notices what we do with are hands, it's pretty cool.

Old 07-06-2003, 12:25 PM

can anyone recommend a few good sites for this?
Old 07-08-2003, 05:34 AM

I ordered the book by Linda Acredolo but I haven't received it yet. I'm figuring that the signing is all the basic words for my baby, right? Words like Mommy, Daddy, thank you, dinner, milk, doll, more, etc. I studied sign language a little bit in college, and signing for my dd makes perfect sense. She's 3 months now but I suppose it's never too early to start. It's got to be great when your baby signs back for the first time.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for older siblings, do you use the word for brother or sister, or do you make up a sign for that sibling?

User Tag List